News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa CA, 14-15 March 2015

Started by Rocket Man, March 17, 2015, 02:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Hey, is it Summer already?

The HEAT returned to the San Gabriel mountains last weekend, but so did some fine Americans eager to show what they could do behind the trigger.  We had ten patriots turn out, including two families and some friends, some returning students and some new ones, all eager to put their cheek weld to the grindstone...   @)

... and what a bunch of shooters we had.  Squared away and ready to play.  We didn't even have Bambi, the unofficial Burro Canyon muley deer mascot, interrupt us this time.  Our opening Redcoats were actually pretty well tore up, so we knew we had something special in the works.   ^-^

Most of the real work, of course, was done by Jacob (pennys_dad), David (BuckleNose), and Dan (Whangdoodle), as your poor suffering Shoot Boss was doing his best Captain Parker impression and his voice was decidedly sub-par after winter colds.  But it seemed to run, if anything, more smoothly than normal...   :---

On Sunday the scores started to pile in.  First across the line was Steve, notching a nice 212 -- with a borrowed bolt-action, no less -- on the first AQT of the day.  But after lunch we found two more Riflemen lurking in our ranks, with returning student Erik printing a 215 and then a very, very solid 226!  Not to be outdone, at the other end of the line Moody punched in a 217.   O0

But even with that great result, I know we've got more champing at the bit.  Geoff had to endure the heartbreak of a 209...   :'(  well, he'll get it.  Brian and Roy and Elton were all hovering at or around 180, and Dave wasn't far behind no matter which rifle/scope combination he had on at the moment  ;D   Our fine young man Chris turned in a Marksman score too -- bolt action.   :cool2:  Talk about making the instructors look good!

But unfortunately, we all get tired, especially after two whole days in the desert, so we had to call it quits for now.  Yet I expect to see this bunch again.  Great things are in store.

So... how was your weekend?
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

My pictures from the shoot.  Volley me a PM for larger format editions.

Here we are, with the light of Liberty peeking over the mountains!  Is that gold in them thar hills, or (better yet) brass??

Returning student Dave works with Dan to explain the Loop Sling and Steady Hold Factors for prone

David and Elton work through a demonstration of NPOA

Looking down the line -- everybody see those lazy trigger knees?  Good.  But I also see a lot of focus!

Erik proves that what works on itty-bitty .22's works just the same on a .308 -- try it, you'll like it

Returning student Steve, our first Rifleman of the class -- but not the last!

Returning student Erik accepts his patch, and... what's next on the list?   ???

New Rifleman Moody joins the ranks, proving Army folks can shoot with the best of 'em

And a special honor for Chris, hanging in there and proving our Posterity is in better shape than you might think!

See you at the next one!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)