News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Orlando, FL (CFRPC) - March 14-15th, 2015

Started by Mr Pete, March 16, 2015, 04:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Hey Folks,

Another packed house on the first warm weekend here in Orlando Florida.  With temps (including the heat index) in the 90s we had nine patriots on the line.

This weekend was another opportunity to meet families that play together.  Geo and Mike came down from Apopka.  Mark, Ethan and Nathan are Appleseeders who returned to the fold after 2+ years (...ammo shortage).  Ted and Robert/Logan/Wolverine are repeat offenders trying to get in some trigger time before it gets really hot. 

It is important to know that if you don't have a community/family of your own that you build it.  James and xsquidgator got along famously as former Navy men...it is a "sub" thing.  Joe wanted to learn about his rifle and had the fortitude to seek out Appleseed.  In the firearms world especially there is lots of macho posturing.  Needing help isn't weakness.  Our historical heroes did what needed to be done and I'm glad that Joe was able to come to us.

I truly believe that stronger individuals and in turn stronger communities will make our country a better place.  Appleseed is an opportunity to learn about and embody that American Spirit.  In the first hour of our weekend together I saw Americans working together.  Mark, without reservations, loaned out a sling with swivels to Robert.  Ted donated .30-06 ammo.  James passed around his sunscreen and bug-spray.

Maybe I'm pointing out silly little details, but that wasn't the end of it.  Ted's donated ammo enabled Ethan, Nate, Mark, James, Robert, Mike and Geo to experience the M1 Garand, M1917, M1903A3.  By the end of Sunday Robert and James gave me some new experiences by loaning out their rifles! 

I could get all sappy but will keep it to the facts.  The fact is the first Redcoat was miserable. 

More facts:
James ended up with several scores in the 140s
Nate, Ethan, Robert and Mike all capable (with lots of examples) of putting down groups of less than 4 MOA (Rifleman measure in MOA).
Geo getting that shingle shot dead center as his first shot.  A man of purpose.
Mark, a busy father, spending a weekend with his sons.  (he also stayed one step ahead of them in score...but just barely)
Joe, not only learning the fundamentals of his rifle but almost getting out of Boot Camp in just a weekend.
Ted spent quality time with family, helped out with the history and enabled our fun-shoot

If instead of getting angry at my neighbor (for showering me with hot brass) I simply worked it out with them, we would all be better for it.  If in my need, others helped me out with equipment or aid, we all would benefit.  If, when pressed to do something we knew was wrong for us (like continue shooting an 03A3) we stood up for ourselves and confidently said, "no thank you" -  we would be stronger.  If everyday were an Appleseed shoot, I'd be in heaven. 

One of my mentors (bob210) asked me once, "Can you believe we actually get to do this?".

Please post your pics and comments and please stay in touch.

Thank you all for a wonderful (and safe) weekend,
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies