News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bellevue - MI March 21-22, 2015

Started by Rascal21, March 16, 2015, 09:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal21

Sorry it's taken so long guys..been recovering for a couple of days and now I am sick, but that's not a big deal :)

I had a great time with this group over the weekend and saw much improvement in the shooting.

Congrats to all of our Riflemen: Bryan, Tim, Jazz, Thomas and Ken. It is rare to see a group of people that start off the weekend shooting the way you all do, which made my job at least a little easier. It was wonderful spending time with all of you and I hope to see you back at another event.

Now, pictures are posted on the Project Appleseed - Michigan facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.672589042851268.1073741869.240556109387899&type=1, but I will post some teasers here. There were a lot of photos taken for this shoot :)
While you are over there, go ahead and give the page a like so you can be kept up to date with our state activities.

Graywolf

What a fantastic weekend we had in Bellevue!  16 shooters on the line, about half of which came from Canada.  It was weekend of learning, fun and most all the celebration of our heritage.  The weather was cold, damp, and stiff wind on Saturday but nothing can stop a rifleman.   Congrats to all who shot rifleman this weekend!  Bryan, Tim, Ken, Jazz, and Thomas got it done with two of them being baptized with the waters of the North Bridge.  Well done to all of you.  To those who could not quite make it over the hump, hang in there!  A rifleman persists.  There was marked improvement in skills in the entire line and I look forward to seeing each of you back on the line again.

Special thanks to sticksnstones for coming up all the way from Arkansas to help out and to Cornfedinohio for coming up and helping with the blue hat responsibilities.  You guys definitely helped carry the load for this event especially given that we had to run two lines to accommodate our shooters. 

All in all a fantastic weekend of making new friends, celebrating some shared history, and honing our skills as riflemen! 

Now, given that  :pics: post 'em up if you have them.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

tomahawk

That sounds incredible. I look forward to seeing the photos.

CornfedinOhio

Graywolf,
   You have assembled an incredible pool of talent. The team work and organization was carried out with precsion. Your closing statements were on target with Appleseeds message. You created a passion felt by all of us.
    Thank you for the warm welcome and making me feel part of your family. I won't hesitate to come back to Michigan.
     This group of instructors and shooters was some of the finest men I've had the pleasure of associating. Cooperation, fun and respect was sprinkled with good natured ribbing. The level of support the shooters received from instructors and fellow shooters was impressive. The shooters positive attitudes shined. Many of them are all ready accomplished shooters. They came with open minds and eager to learn. Many of them proved they are rifleman and more of them showed they will be riflemen soon.
   I can't think of one detractor from the event. This group is rock solid. I'd hand any of them my wallet and walk away knowing they can be trusted.
Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!

Redcoat Marksman

Well this was my first Appleseed Event and I was quite pleased throughout. I would have perhaps preferred if Michigan had paid it's heating bill and warmed things up a bit though.  ;)

I am not new to shooting being that I have done so competitively for about 5 years now with some level of success, finishing in the top 10 Nationally the past two seasons. I don't say this to brag but to give context to what I am about to say.

I did come with an open mind to the event, with some effort. It is easy to say "I know this, I don't need instruction. I already do it better." Well every time I caught myself saying that I would remind myself that I had come to the event and I was shorting myself if I didn't at least try it. (Rascal giving me a raised eyebrow when I was being stubborn helped too).

I did learn some new ways to do a few things that I will take back and employ this season, learned some of my dry fire training is flawed and needs to be changed (perfect practice makes perfect) and it was a great venue to focus on the fundamentals of breaking a shot correctly.

The history was interesting, even if it wasn't "our history". I was very much impressed with how Greywolf tied things together at the end of each day to relate how the stories of the men and women of the revolutionary movement are examples of how today everyday citizens can and need to be civic minded, informed and involved with how their country is run. This applies to anybody who lives or wants to live in a country with democratic freedoms.
Greasy Civi black rifle shooter

Grant me the serenity to kick some butt today
and to karate chop the snot out of anyone slowing down my train of awesome.

Today is a wonderful day to fire perfect shots.

Breath...sights.....squeeze.

www.modernriflemanradio.com

Redcoat Marksman

Now, on the constructive criticism side I would offer these observations:

1) the instructors need to be observing the shooters on the line with regard to form. Don't hesitate to step in an correct or assist a student who is doing it wrong or could improve their position in accordance with what is being taught. Worst thing that can happen is a student turn down or ignore the advice. I appreciated the input of instructors whenever they were observing me shoot and providing comment. In some cases they caught something that I could improve on, in some cases they mentioned things that I know why I do the way I do (trigger finger placement) and in some cases just trying something I didn't think would work well provided a pleasant surprise.

By the same token it is the student's job to ask questions if there is something they are not understanding or struggling with. I had to do that a couple of times and I go quick and concise assistance.

2) there are a lot of targets shot at apple seed and every one tells a story. Instructors should be reviewing the groups shot with the students to help them sort out issues that are evidenced. I did not see quite as much of this target review as I would have expected.

3) 2nd day AQTs....there are were a lot of them shot - back to back to back. I think that students should have been reviewing their targets with the instructors prior to turning them in for score for the point as above. It may well mean that less AQTs are shot in the time frame of the day but each will be more valuable as a learning tool as well as an evaluator.
Greasy Civi black rifle shooter

Grant me the serenity to kick some butt today
and to karate chop the snot out of anyone slowing down my train of awesome.

Today is a wonderful day to fire perfect shots.

Breath...sights.....squeeze.

www.modernriflemanradio.com

Redcoat72

What an amazing experience!

We have been working with Rascal21 since October to plan and organize our trip to the US for this event, so the anticipation has been constantly building.

I am not new to the shooting sports as I served in the Canadian Army for almost 10 years and have recently become a competitive shooter.  That said, I came with a "teachable attitude" and I learned a great number of new skills, while refining some of my existing skills.

I didn't quite make Rifleman, but I will be attending the Mapleseed in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada in July.

Safety was clearly a priority, and the Shoot Boss, Line Officers, RSOs and participants worked together extremely well to ensure that everyone went home with the same number of holes that they arrived with.

The points of instruction were delivered clearly and practiced extensively while under the critical eyes of the instructor cadre. The instructors adjusted and directed us as required to maximize our learning.  My Scope is adjusted in MRADs, and Waveman quickly assisted me in calculating the necessary conversion from MOA to MRADs to get me on target.

The Revolutionary History lessons were very interesting and engaging; it was interesting to see how the stories of various people and events were intertwined throughout the weekend into a compelling, epic chronicle.

Graywolf's call to action at the end of the Appleseed was very compelling and inspiring.  Democracy is hard, and we must be willing to become informed and engaged citizens if we want to protect(or establish) our freedoms and move our countries forward.  It all starts with community, and it is clear that the Michigan Appleseed team has built a very strong and dedicated community that extends beyond the state borders.

Constructive Criticism
---------------------------

I generally agree with Redcoat Marksman's comments, but I was on the shorter line on the second day and, for the most part, our targets were reviewed and evaluated at each stage.  It may have been because there were fewer shooter, and thus, more time to look at each of the targets without impeding the flow and speed of the day; moving more people from the long line to the shorter line may have helped this.
Director & Instructor
Project Mapleseed

Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 21-22 Mar 2015
Mapleseed - Bancroft, ON, Canada 25-26 Jul 2015 (210 Rifleman)
Appleseed - Battle Creek, MI 5-6 Mar 2016(238)
IBC - Waco, Texas 14-15 Jan 2017
IBC - Lansing, MI 25-26 Feb 2017

"When it shall be said in any country in the world my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want; the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, there may that country boast its Constitution and its Government"
― Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

tomahawk

I think it is cool that some Canadians came down to shoot an Appleseed. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Mapleseed Event.

sticksnstones

Wow, I'm not sure exactly sure where to start. I came this weekend at least knowing most of the shooters in some fashion. They did not disappoint in the very least. We had a great array as far as skill sets and experience. Everyone seemed to make and meet personal goals. Everyone showed great improvement throughout the two days. The folks that didn't reach that coveted Riflemans score have the skills and only need to bring everything together to accomplish it. Remember that a rifleman always persists.
Having never worked with any of the Michigan instructors and support staff, I wasn't sure what to expect. I was thoroughly impressed with your great instruction and professionalism. You guys are second to none. Yall not only gave the shooters goals to strive for but I hope to some day be as good of an instructor as each of you
Thanks to all of you shooter and Michigan crew for making it an unforgettable weekend. Yall rock
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Corvette

Wow, looks like you had a great Appleseed. It is great that we had folks from our dear friends up north join us.  It also looks line Graywolf touched on key heart strings throughout the weekend.

Congrats to everybody on putting on a great Seed.

Corvette, Ohio SB
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!