News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Marriottsville Maryland 3-14/15 2015

Started by navybowhunter, March 15, 2015, 08:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navybowhunter

First off, I want to thank the dedicated and consummate professional Project Appleseed Maryland Instructor Cadre that also "Got off the couch" and answered the call!  Thank you very much to TheTopher, BlueMax121, Vjornaxx, and Chesty Puller for running this event.  This event would not have been a success had it not been for you all helping to row the boat, and staying synchronized to the commands of the coxswain.  Hoo Yah Instructors!  I don't give those out lightly.

Secondly, thank you to AGC Marriottsville Range for allowing us to occupy your firing line.  Project Appleseed is an important thing, and it is well evident that this range sees the value in the Project.
Well, Saturday morning brought some torrential downpours.  That did not deter 11 dedicated and likely curious Americans from "Getting off the Couch" and showing up to their Project Appleseed Event.  TheTopher ran an awesome check in process. 

All shooters arrived with the adequate gear, and requisite amounts of ammo and magazines. 
After our intro's, emergency plan and admin stuff, it was straight into the Appleseed Course of Instruction, and we did this one "By the numbers"!

The first Redcoat was pathetic, as to be expected.  After all we had 11 new shooters on the line.  NONE had ever attended a Project Appleseed event before.  In fact some had never ever shot a rifle before. 

Our course of instruction works!  After a few squares targets we got right into IMC and "teaching the students how to fish".  By the end of day 1, we saw 5 new Rifleman for the State of Maryland. 

Sunday brought its own set of issues.  20 MPH sustained winds, with gusts up to 30!  Our target line took some casualties, but we persisted.  All that scored Rifleman on Saturday, BACKED it up OVER and OVER again on Sunday.  The others, well....they are NOT COOKS, they are tapping on that door of Earning the coveted Rifleman Patch.  Those shooters, all were scoring between 190 and 209.  One more event should be all it takes for them!  I really hope to see all of these shooters at a Project Appleseed event again soon!  In fact I hope they register for the Annapolis event here in a few weeks.

Here are Maryland's new Rifleman:
Matthew A: 238
Robert S the 3rd: 238
Rachel E: 218
Timothy K: 231
Eric W: 229

Several of our shooters also EARNED the coveted Maryland Front Sight Patch for "Clearing them Redcoats"!
Shooters all left with tri-fold pamphlets, and explicit instructions/direction to "Bring someone with them" to the next event.  I did give them a TON of squares targets as well, and Redcoats.  Unfortunately, I only had maybe 60 AQT's left, but I did divide them up amongst the attendees. All shooters received a CMP form and I hope they all consider an M1 Garand purchase as well.

WOW....did we shoot but we did NOT SACRIFICE SAFETY or Instruction.  Saturday we did 6 AQT's, two Redcoats, and some drills for a round count of 286.
Sunday we shot 2 Redcoats, some drills and 7 more AQT's for a round count of 341.  627 rounds were sent downrange at the Redcoats, and by the end of the weekend we did not look like "an irregular Mob", but like Americans that "KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT".

All shooters know the relevance now of "Patriots Day", and our special upcoming weekend.  I hope they will help us to FILL THE LINES!

Rachel E, well.....she "Gave em the GUTS of her Gun"!  Thoroughly impressed with her progress. 

Here is the Google Drive Link to pictures from the weekend:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxT3dg1kPb6CflFFV1lmTkQ5azlWdERIdHFoRjJPVXJLeGNsaDFCUmg0b3ZFTDNUVnFMS28&usp=sharing_eid

Once again, I was reminded of "What is important in life, and what is simply "whatever".
Was an honor to be a part of this event, and to meet everyone in attendance.

HUZZZAH!

TheTopher

A thoroughly impressive group of students both in their persistence and their readiness to learn.

This is aptly reflected by their rapid improvement throughout the weekend.
If you're the smartest guy in the room, you need to find a different room.

navybowhunter

I'd request that all that read this, watch this.  GREAT Life lessons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70

ChestyPuller

Great students this weekend especially Rachel and Bob, heck as many AQT's as we shot they still wanted to shoot more  :~ ^:)^ :---
First shot hit under time pressure is the goal of every rifleman.

eightfiftyfive

Hey guys, this is Eric, the guy shooting the loud center-fire AR at the end of the line.  I'd like thank all of the instructors again for all of their hard work to teach us and give us a good experience this past weekend.  I was looking over my targets and I found this...  :)  I hope my math was correct.  I've never shot such tight groups before coming to this class.

ChestyPuller

Eric
'
Great shooting it was a pleasure teaching such attentive and willing students. Comeback and see us again and we will get those holes touching.  ~~:)

navybowhunter

Eightfiftyfive/Eric:

Great target!  You showed significant progress throughout the weekend.  I hope to see you at another event, and that between now and then you will contemplate stepping up to become an RWVA Volunteer.

R/
Chris

eightfiftyfive

Oops, issues with adding again.  That target I posted was only 208. ;D

USMC 2674

Hi everyone, this is "the Marine", Tim, that was out there. Great instructors and a great range! I had an awesome time getting back into shooting and I'm looking forward to getting more involved.

...and when the forum says that your "activiation" email might be in your spam folder, they aren't kidding. I signed up a few days after the event and just tonight found the activation email.

Best Regards and hope to see you all in the future.

Tim

navybowhunter

What's up with all these Marine shooters! LOL

Awesome Tim!  Glad you created an account on here, and I look forward to seeing you on an Appleseed firing line again soon!  I'll be toting around a nice new Orange Hat for you, but you know the deal.....Like Colonel Nathan R Jessup, ya have to ask me nicely!

Hope to see you at Sanners Lake for our April shoot!

R/
Chris

ChestyPuller

Come on back Tim, we need more Jarheads this place is overrun with Squids. #)