News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, GA March 7-8

Started by General Stuart, March 09, 2015, 12:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Stuart

The weekend started cold and crisp. The absence of a single cloud in the sky promised to bring us a beautiful day. An energetic group of shooters began to roll into the range, anxious to to begin learning the sacred tradition of rifle marksmanship. We were blessed to have a diverse age group. Seeing youth on the firing line always fills my heart with pride. Parents who will take time to bring their children with them to an Appleseed event, give me hope for our future.

After a clear and detailed safety briefing, the Redcoat target quickly revealed that we had plenty of shooters who knew very well what they were about. As the day proceeded, heavy coats were traded for short sleeved shirts. Truly a beautiful spring day. The shooters were taught the tripod of rifle marksmanship. Steady Hold Factors, the Six Steps to firing a shot, and Natural Point of Aim. Everyone showed a willingness to try, and gave us a very teachable attitude.

Throughout the weekend, the flames of Liberty were fanned by the truly gripping renditions of the Three strikes and Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children. The history portion was quite well received. It became abundantly clear why rifle marksmanship was pivotal in the War for Independence. The shooters left with a better appreciation of the sacrifices of the Founding Fathers.

By the time the two days were over, every single person on the line was a much improved shooter. All demonstrated exemplary safety when handling a rifle. Although no one qualified as rifleman, many were knocking on the door. I firmly believe that with dedicated practice, the next time they return to an Appleseed event, there will be a Rifleman's patch with their name on it. Job well done to each and every shooter. I look forward to seeing you on the line in the future.
"I am resigned; Gods will be done."
Major General J.E.B Stuart

Jay Maiers

My wife and I had the pleasure of attending both days of this event.  Conditions were fantastic, the student group was attentive and very receptive to the training, and the instruction was nothing short of outstanding! 

Thank you RWVA volunteers.  You made our weekend a valuable and enjoyable experience, both at the firing line and off. 

On the line and during instruction, we learned more than we could possibly put into practice.  However, and as General Stuart said, with dedication and practice perfect practice, we'll be able to turn that knowledge into something more.

Our time between the marksmanship lessons was no less informative.  I was a bit surprised at the passion and commitment shown by the Appleseed staff, and have come away with a great deal to think about. 

Again, I say thank you, and I look forward to our next Appleseed experience.
Cavediver

Fabricator

Thanks again to all the participants; we do this for you.  It may sound cliched, however; it is a fact.    Hats off to General Stuart as well for organizing a safe and smooth event.   I look forward to seeing many of you soon; in the meantime---- dryfire---dryfire---dryfire.   

Fabricator
�The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.�
- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

DrJohn

I'll add my own expression of gratitude and appreciation to all the students who attended this event. Especially our very young students, your dedication to safety and your demonstrated persistence were outstanding. Hope to see all of you again soon, and in the meantime, as Fabricator suggested in the above post, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....