News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gaston SC, Feb. 28 - March 1 2015

Started by TheIronMantis, March 08, 2015, 10:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheIronMantis

We had a great event at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club.  Seven brave shooters piled on multiple layers of clothing in anticipation of a cold day of shooting.  After the welcome and safety speeches we got right to work on some redcoat targets.  Although they didn't look too bad, there was still plenty of room for improvement.  So we got right to work on building our Appleseed tripod.  We went over some steady hold factors, six steps of firing the shot and natural point of aim.  By the time we finished up our first square target of the day, I could tell we had some good shooters on the line!

The morning continues with some talking targets (gotta make sure we get a hamburger's worth of knowledge each time we walk to the target line right?), and the infamous Appleseed math class, otherwise known as Inches, Minutes, Clicks.  By this time we were all hungry and ready for some history.  We heard the story of the first and second strike while scarfing down our lunches.  Leadfarmer and DEH, both gave nice presentations of the first two strikes.

After lunch, it was back to the line for some sitting/kneeling, standing and transition practice.  It wasn't long before we started putting some holes in the AQT.  After two AQTs we learned that we had one man who knew very much what he was about. With a 216, Chris earned his Rifleman patch at this, his second Appleseed.  Congrats Chris!!!

After the AQTs we were ready for another break.  TazDevil gave us a very captivating presentation on the third strike, and we all learned where the fire of the Revolutionary War really started to burn.  Then it was back to the line where we knocked out another AQT, and forged yet another Rifleman.  Vernon shot a 211, also at his second Appleseed, earning the well deserved patch.

After the AQT we shot another redcoat.  Although the shooters were cold and tired from a full day of instruction, the targets showed some great improvement.  We closed it out with a nice benediction and learned the responsibilities of a Rifleman in society.

On Sunday on two brave shooters braved the cold and rainy weather.  We shot a few sighter squares, and got right into some AQTs.  After two AQTs we retired to the classroom to hear some stories about some Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women and Gallant Children.  Our shooters then persevered through two more AQTs and were ready to call it a day.

In summary, everyone was shooting great.  Keep up the practice at home and we will see you in April for the big April 19th shoot!

AA4LB

This was my second Appleseed and my first at Gaston. The instruction was first class and they never put the firehose away. The facilites at Gaston are great and all the range people made us very welcome. I had a lot of fun with a great group of shooters. Congrats to Chris and Vern! I'll be back again, chasing that patch.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

TheIronMantis

Quote from: AA4LB on March 08, 2015, 07:25:04 PM
This was my second Appleseed and my first at Gaston. The instruction was first class and they never put the firehose away. The facilites at Gaston are great and all the range people made us very welcome. I had a lot of fun with a great group of shooters. Congrats to Chris and Vern! I'll be back again, chasing that patch.

I didn't know you were a ham.  We'll have to ragchew a bit about our stations at the next event!