News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I'm going to censor myself

Started by scuzzy, February 26, 2015, 07:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Yup - I have to do it. Before I spout off and post something I shouldn't.

Anyone ever do that? Spend 20 minutes writing a scathing rebuttal, but then didn't send it.

And you were glad the next day you didn't?

Well that was me today. So I'm not going to post any more smart aleck remarks. If I can't post something that makes things better I'm just not going to do it.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Fixer

In truth that's some of the best advice you can give someone who winds up upset.  Craft a response, throw it away; you'll feel better.

You got your feelings out there, you don't need a reply to validate it, it stands on its own.

Then later, because no bridges have been burned and no additional feathers have been ruffled, see if there's anything constructive you can add, if not, move on.

It's also why IT offices are rife with so much bitchery, you have to have that pressure relief.   ;D

navybowhunter

My Apologies Scuzzy, I'm still new.

R/
Chris

kenjo

Quote from: scuzzy on February 26, 2015, 07:01:39 PM
If I can't post something that makes things better I'm just not going to do it.

Good advice.
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Lonestar6

President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

Kimber Custom

I hope it wasn't my PM - if it was, it really was intended as as an acknowledgement of all that you have on your plate. If that didn't come through correctly, please accept my profuse apologies.

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

MostlyHarmless

Quote from: Fixer on February 26, 2015, 07:07:36 PM
In truth that's some of the best advice you can give someone who winds up upset.  Craft a response, throw it away; you'll feel better.

If only this were true. But I still feel worse.

I've held my tongue time and time again over the past several weeks and months- and as a result, I've burned few bridges and ruffled few feathers. And I do know that what I've had to say often would not have "made things better".

But I have not voiced my support for people here who I respect and admire. I know it wouldn't have made any difference in outcome- but perhaps that's not the only difference that matters? I don't know. But it's a strange thing for me, to regret not doing something that I would have regretted.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

AFTERMATH

[censored - CPR violation - AFTERMATH 2/26/15]
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Twineagles

Much more at work than here.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

jmdavis

Quote from: MostlyHarmless on February 26, 2015, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: Fixer on February 26, 2015, 07:07:36 PM

If only this were true. But I still feel worse.

I've held my tongue time and time again over the past several weeks and months- and as a result, I've burned few bridges and ruffled few feathers. And I do know that what I've had to say often would not have "made things better".

But I have not voiced my support for people here who I respect and admire. I know it wouldn't have made any difference in outcome- but perhaps that's not the only difference that matters? I don't know. But it's a strange thing for me, to regret not doing something that I would have regretted.

That's what you are balancing things against.

Freedom is not a popularity contest. If it was, it would never have existed.

Appleseed attracts, and should, independent minded people. They will by definition be difficult to control and manage. But if you can find a way to lead them and harness that energy without burning them out, imagine what is possible.

edited to add. In my experience Scuzzy is a good man. And while I personally prefer Fibre or SATA these days, scsi works. That's some IT humor to lighten the mood.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

floydf

Quote from: jmdavis on February 26, 2015, 09:08:12 PM
And while I personally prefer Fibre or SATA these days, scsi works. That's some IT humor to lighten the mood.

At least you know how to spell it.

ANSI X3T11 voting member, 1992 to 1996.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

jmdavis

Quote from: floydf on February 26, 2015, 11:00:11 PM

At least you know how to spell it.

ANSI X3T11 voting member, 1992 to 1996.

After 30 years, I better.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

EZ3

Quote from: scuzzy on February 26, 2015, 07:01:39 PM
Yup - I have to do it. Before I spout off and post something I shouldn't.

Anyone ever do that? Spend 20 minutes writing a scathing rebuttal, but then didn't send it.

And you were glad the next day you didn't?

Well that was me today. So I'm not going to post any more smart aleck remarks. If I can't post something that makes things better I'm just not going to do it.

O0
That's mostly why I posted "Hanlon's Razor" in my sig line.  Much easier for me to bite my tongue in the face of stupidity than when facing malice.  But I need a reminder.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy