News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Watervliet, MI Feb 28 - Mar 1, 2015

Started by Rascal21, February 25, 2015, 08:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal21

Hopefully will get photos up tonight.

Thanks for a great weekend everyone!

EEEE

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=liquitex+texture+gels&safe=off&tbm=shop&spd=1981198591264900663

SteelThunder, this is the stuff I was talking about yesterday that might work as a texture for the wrist of your stock.  There are several types to choose from.  It's acrylic, so it will yellow if exposed to UV, but you can add black acrylic paint to it to prevent that.

The stuff stays nice and flexible.  I would sand the area to be textured with 80 grit to give it something to hold onto.

Hope this helps.

Oz

Wow!  What an amazing Winterseed weekend!

Barry, Bryan, Joe, Kevin:  I really feel privileged to have spent the weekend with you.  You are all thoughtful, focused, squared away, and all around awesome guys.  And BOY did you persevere! 

Other folks reading this don't know we saw -9 (F) on the thermometer on the drive to Watervliet Saturday morning--but we did!  It was a gorgeous crisp, clear winter day and you did great work on the line and took the lessons to heart.   

How well did you take those lessons to heart?  How about 4 "bucket shots" out of 4 shooters on Sunday morning, and 2 cleared Redcoats!  And then you worked with us to dig in to KD and really get to know your equipment.  You developed come-ups for your rifles from 25 yards out to 200 yards, and shot a KD course of fire out to 100.  And you did it trudging through snow with every course of fire.  Our veteran student and instructor might have been thinking "The only easy day was yesterday"!  Movement was a challenge but you all turned up the squelch, stayed focused on the tasks at hand, made adjustments and performed safely, smoothly, and well.   :bow:   O0

Congratulations to Kevin for requalifying...repeatedly!  The rest of you--I know you have a Rifleman score in there.  Go home, practice...dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.  Settle into those positions.  Go through the six steps until they're ingrained.  Find and trust NPOA.  You'll be there.

Through the cold and the snow, I never heard a single word of...I can't even say "complaint", there was hardly any recognition that the conditions were a challenge.  Just smiles, and comments on what a beautiful day it was, even as eyelashes froze and every step was a struggle.  You adapted and overcame, I could not be prouder of you, and I'm grateful that you came out to spend the weekend with our instructor team.  It will be a long time before the sight of you slung up and moving to your next position fades in my mind.  I truly hope to see each of you again. 

Thank you to the instructors who came out this weekend to work with our students and make this such a great event.  D.S.S, Gopher Boy, Rascal21, Steel Thunder, Zazzles: it is a privilege to work with you. 

I know someone has pictures.  Let's see 'em!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

EEEE

Thanks for having us out, and for the priceless instruction. 

I'm feeling every minute of yesterday's slogs today, though; and I went to bed pretty much as soon as I got home.

N9GY, thanks for the eyeball QSO, and for the tips as well.  I definitely saw the improvement!

I'll see you in Niles in April!

SteelThunder

Not much to add other than I'm proud of each and every one of you.  EEEE -- thanks for the link and the advice.

This was an advanced class as all were repeat Appleseeders and we had Riflemen in our midst.  Winterseeds (yes, at -8 deg F) are hard enough but we threw a completely new COF full of KD goodness at everyone on Sunday...and they came back begging for more.

• How many shooters know what their come ups for their 22s are out to 200 yards?  Ours do.
  • How many shooters know how to make a data card for their rifles?  Ours do.
  • How many shooters have great Appleseed volunteers that will bring over a 4WD tractor to cut a walking lane in the snow so we can reach the 200 yd line?  Ours do.
  • How many shooters know the issues with laying on a mat in 2-3 ft of snow and how that affects their ability to build a position?  Ours do.
  • How many shooters know the bare essentials to bring with them for a mobile firing line to keep it moving?  Ours do.
  • How many shooters know how to safely manage their kit in deep snow, in finger numbing temps, when they are wet and covered with ice and snow?  Ours do.
  • And it goes on and on and on and on...

It was cold...

Our shooters got a lot of attention...

This is how you get come ups to 200 with a .22

Standard velocity ammo and cold temp mean that the bullet may have to burrow through the snow before reaching the target

Ribs are good

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

brianheeter

Hey, is that the Joker in that last shot?

Wow!  You guys are hardcore.  Huzzah!!!!  I don't know if I could cut that.  My hat is off to you all.  Come-ups for .22s out to 200 yards...AWESOME!

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Oz

Bad SB!  I forgot to give special thanks to Nehemiah (our own Tom), who was not working this shoot or shooting, but stopped by and plowed the 200 yard range for us.  Well...first his truck got stuck trying to plow, then he went home and brought massive farm implements.  Did I mention that Riflemen persevere?   :bow:

I said more than once over the weekend: how are we so blessed to have such friends?  Without Tom, the 200 yard range would not have been possible.  We instructors trooped down and back Friday to try to break trail, and even unencumbered we were wiped out.  We were trying to figure out what we might be able to do on side berms when the clouds parted and that pickup truck rolled in.  Many thanks, Tom.
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Rascal21

Photos are up on the Project Appleseed - Michigan FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.662987030478136.1073741857.240556109387899&type=3 Give us a like while you are there :)

Teaser photos:

Our helping hand for the weekend! Thanks so much Tom!

D.S.S.

Friends...Brothers...Sisters...Americans, for that is what you all are. Exceptional people accomplishing extraordinary things. Did the chance to stay in a nice, warm, comfy bed keep you from attending? Did the blustery cold douse the flame that was ignited by the American Revolution? Did the brutal conditions which caused magazine and cartridge feeding issues cause the Spirit of the Rifleman to quit?  All of you proved that the overwhelming response to these questions and more is NO!!  As Oz has said repeatedly, a Rifleman perseveres.

It is truly my honor to have spent the weekend with the following GREAT Americans:  Barry, Bryan, Joe, Kevin, Tom, Gopher Boy, Zazzles, Oz, Rascal21 and Steel Thunder. It makes me proud to know that men like Capt. Isaac Davis, Josiah Haynes and modern heroes like Chris Kyle did not die in vain and, in actuality, their spirit lives on. We all face decisions daily. What will I, we, you do with mine, ours, yours??  We can have a cup of coffee or a soda and tell someone what it means to be an American is. We can pour over the Constitution together to better understand our rights and responsibilities as Americans. We can take a friend out to the range and show them how knowing IMC'S saves ammo and, therefore, money. We can mentor someone in all of the above...

It's your decision. What will you do with it?

Diamondsharpshooter
DSS
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

tomahawk

Instructors, thank you for teaching us more about our rifles and ourselves, and for bringing out the best in both of them. I appreciate the extra goodness that you shared. Thank you for the photos Rascal21 and Steel Thunder. Thank you Tom for clearing the path with your tractor that would lead to 200 yards of challenge and knowledge.

Tigger

Started with something funny in the Winterseed theme--I can't speak for the two on the left, but I think the short funny one on the far right called himself Mr. Sleet or something like that.
In all seriousness, many thanks to the shooters, instructors, and all involved in making an excellent weekend out of it.
Some random thoughts, in no particular order:
--I have things to iron out in my gear. I am thinking a new extractor is in order on my 10/22. Until Saturday, I'd never seen the need for a bolt override drill needed in a 10/22 but it actually can happen...
--I am also ditching the barrel band sling mount and the barrel band as well.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I think it is helping to crank my barrel over and is tending to move my zero. I will be installing a forward sling stud into the stock itself and see if there's a difference.
--I'm also going to calibrate the loose nut behind the buttplate.  &)
--It's not the food, its the company. That being said, the chili and the pie was all great...thanks to Steel and DSS.
--And I won't make 4/19 but the shoot at the top of May should have me there. Will get thru a pesky outage and plenty of practice and will see what happens.
Thank you all again--and hopefully I'll drag a few extra shooters out on the next go-round, including one or two Appleseed vets I work with.
Joe B.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

tomahawk

Tigger

Back from range and improvements noted on 10-22.
Invested in new mags, extractor (old one was well rounded, and not in a good way) sling swivel for sling instead of barrel band one I was using, and a new trigger. No malfunctions, no mystery flyers (still suspect the barrel band mount pulls on barrel and shifts POI) and.....
...shot a 216 and later on a 223. Had to self time w phone timer but worked well. And, doing so, shot a 43 and a 47 for Stage 4 which was previously giving me fits!!  :wb:
Sadly, my 22lr AR upper is not improved, even w new free floated handguards -- more work there to be done.
Still planning to shoot the 5/2 shoot and hope to see you all there.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

Oz

Joe, that's great!  You have yourself sorted out, your equipment is sorted out...it sounds like everything is coming together!  I'm really looking forward to seeing you make the magic happen in May.  Keep practicing--perfect practice makes perfect, you know!   :bow:

― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax