News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

GOT CLUB?

Started by Firewall99, November 11, 2008, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

The ball is starting to roll in NH, but we need more clubs.

If you have a favorite club to suggest, bring it on.  If you are not a member already, go and join it.  Then attend all meetings, start talking up Appleseed, and keep us informed.

I will be glad to make a presentation at your club as soon as I can get it on my list of monthly meetings.
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

Firewall99

If you are a member of any of the following clubs, now is the time to start going to meetings to support Appleseed.

1.  Grafton County Fish & Game - This is my "home" club in Plainfield, NH.  I have joined it and made two presentations to no avail.  The shotgunners seem to rule the roost, but the rifle guys are pro-Appleseed, so I will keep trying.  There seems to be some misunderstanding of what we are about, but I will eventually clear that up.

2.  Pemi Valley Fish & Game Club - In Plymouth, NH, this club has it all.  I'm making a presentation there on Wednesday, Dec. 3rd.  If you are a member, please show up to support Appleseed and vote.

3.  Nashua Fish & Game Association - Located on BAE Corp property in Nashua on Al Paul Lane, this is so far the "Mother of All Gun Clubs" in NH--the big kahuna.  It has almost everything you could imagine, highpower rifle ranges at 200, 300, and 600 yards, a "plinker" range (not sure what that is--maybe a 22 range), and even an indoor range that goes out to 25 yds. (not sure if rifle is OK, though).  If you live near enough, join this club!  I'm going to.  I have not approached them yet, because I need to do it right and need a support base first.  These guys have two levels of governace--a board of directors and a board of govenors.  They have so many events scheduled that running a single event all weekend may be a tough sell, but I'm going to give it a try.  Sure could use some help on this one--it's too good to pass up.

If you have any inside information or influence with these clubs, please personal message (PM) me ASAP.

Thank you for your support!
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

dwarven1

John, perhaps we could run a "mini" Appleseed at Grafton? All we need is a range - no charges, etc. Heck, we could put it on for members only if that'll help us get a foot into the door.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Firewall99

You bet we can have a mini at Grafton County fish & Game.  I'm a member there now.  We can probably do whatever you want, whenever you want within reason.  Great idea to spark some interest.  Suggest a Saturday.  Just tell me what you want me to do.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

dwarven1

What's the line like up there? Outdoors? Or do they have in indoor-shooting-to-outdoors setup? Reason I'm asking is that time, for me at least, is pretty tight until January or so... and how many of your shooters will shoot in the snow, do you think? Will we get enough?

Also, do we have many instructors up there? Technically, ANYONE can run a mini - just bring lots of targets and teach what we teach at the full-size shoots. Crak posted a POI somewhere for a mini. I'll have to find it and cross-post it.

Alternatively... that's your home club? How often do you shoot there? You could bring extra targets each week and if folks come around to see what you're shooting, you hook 'em in that way. "Oh, I'm practicing shooting at these tiny leetle 1" squares... want to try? Oh, you can't hit it? Here, let me tell you what I'm doing..." and teach the six steps, the proper prone positions, the use of the sling...
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Firewall99

Well, you said, "[P]erhaps we could run a "mini" Appleseed at Grafton?" (Italics mine.)  I thought you were willing to come up here and help me out.  I'm just an IIT, you know.  OK, so are you, but the two of us would be better.

Grafton has covered ranges at both the high power range and the 22 range.  Lines are not huge, maybe 10-12, but that's enough for around here, especially since Appleseed is not well advertised yet.  (But not for long!  I've been placing links in meetup groups and such.  It won't be long before this catches on here.)

What I really need is Quick and Dirty AQT's.  Got any?  I can buy stakes and pine board for target stands, but I don't have a portable drill yet, and won't be able to afford one until next month.  Got one of those?  That would sure help.

Why wait for snow?

I'm also trying to do the same thing at the Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, which is a lot closer to you.  Would that change your mind?  I know of two shooters already interested in that one.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Nickle

OK, Crak and I were doing Mini's back when we were barely IIT's.

GMB74 was doing them before Project Appleseed existed.

So, yes, you can do them as an IIT or just starting out as an Instructor.

They make for good practice, that's for sure.

You don't need a full Appleseed POI, just pick some of the Sat AM stuff, maybe throw in some AQT's, and there you go.

We can certainly scrounge up some QD AQT's for you.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Firewall99

OK, you're on.  Please send a stack of Dirty AQT's to me at:

10 BENNING ST #249
WEST LEBANON, NH 03784

Thanks!

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

dwarven1

Quote from: Firewall99 on November 12, 2008, 03:48:58 PM
Well, you said, "[P]erhaps we could run a "mini" Appleseed at Grafton?" (Italics mine.)  I thought you were willing to come up here and help me out.  I'm just an IIT, you know.  OK, so are you, but the two of us would be better.

Grafton has covered ranges at both the high power range and the 22 range.  Lines are not huge, maybe 10-12, but that's enough for around here, especially since Appleseed is not well advertised yet.  (But not for long!  I've been placing links in meetup groups and such.  It won't be long before this catches on here.)

What I really need is Quick and Dirty AQT's.  Got any?  I can buy stakes and pine board for target stands, but I don't have a portable drill yet, and won't be able to afford one until next month.  Got one of those?  That would sure help.

Why wait for snow?

I'm also trying to do the same thing at the Monadnock Rod & Gun Club, which is a lot closer to you.  Would that change your mind?  I know of two shooters already interested in that one.
I AM willing to come up there and help put; it's only a couple of hours away (you're up near Lebanon, right?). Problem is that I'm pretty tight for time for Nov and Dec. I might be able to get up there the weekend of Dec 13th, but no other weekend until January. I do have a portable drill that I can bring up to build stands with.

So... start thinking of dates to run this sucker.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Firewall99

Please note the new thread in this section Re: Mini-Appleseed shoot this Sunday, Nov. 16, at Monadnock.  This is definitely ON.

We've got everything we need.  Only two of us so far, with a third specifically invited.  Welcome to all.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

pokey

Hey there Firewall99. I just became a member at the Farmington Fish and Game Club in (oddly enough) New Durham. It's a great club, and everyone there is super friendly. It has a covered, cement floor firing line with half a dozen benches that we could move out of the way. The targets are outside, but at least shooters wouldn't get snowed on. I'm allowed to bring a guest to the range if you'd like to check it out for yourself. Board meetings are the second Wednesday of every month at 7:00pm.

I'm very new to shooting, and I've never attended an apple seed event, but I love the idea, and I'm planning to attend one in April if I can get enough gear together by then. Hopefully I won't come alone either.

Firewall99

Great idea!  You bet, I'm all in. 

The best way to go about this, since you are new to the club yourself, is to go shooting there first, maybe meet some more people and see if we can get on the agenda for the board meeting on Dec. 14.  When do you want to go shooting?

I can bring my loaner rifles (with both scopes and iron sights) and conduct what we call an Appleseed "Mini" for you.  That would get you up to speed on a lot of the equipment choices you are about to make--maybe save you some money.

Just say the word.  This weekend looks good for me.  Next weekend I run the Enfield, NH, Winterseed.

John
888-221-8628 (leave message when to call)
NH@AppleseedInfo.org

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

pokey

I'm not sure if I could get you on the agenda for December, but I could bring it up then, and try for January. I'll try to talk to the president of the club before then. He's the owner of "The Ammo Dump" on rt 11, btw. I don't know enough about RWVA or Appleseed to go pitching it to him/them myself just yet. I have a meeting scheduled sometime tomorrow for another group that I volunteer with, but I don't know what time yet. If that meeting is early enough or late enough in the day, and if you don't mind me bringing my kids, we could meet there when the rifle range opens at noon. Sunset tomorrow is 4:10pm.

Some range photos & times: http://www.farmingtonfishandgameclub.org/services/riflerange.html

Here's the (probably very standard) range rules: http://www.farmingtonfishandgameclub.org/aboutus/rangerules.html

Firewall99

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.