News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Blue Ridge, GA Appleseed-One Day, Feb 21

Started by CokeGuy, February 22, 2015, 08:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

This inaugural event at The Power House Range was filled with emotional "highs and lows". With 20 signed up, we were exhuberant in our anticipation of the day. But, as we got closer to the event, the weather became a critical factor. As Shoot Boss, I had to chain-saw and then 4-wheel with chains just to get down my mountain iced-over driveway in Sevierville, TN to get to Blue Ridge last Wednesday. Then the emails and phone calls began, expressing angst about the weather on Saturday. By Friday night, the snow was falling rapidly and the roads got treacherous. On Saturday morning the Fannin County Sheriff's office advised not to get on the roads unless absolutely necessary....for us, it was necessary. Riflemen persist!

In spite of the weather, we had 15 of 20 participants show up for a day of marksmanship instruction and history. God bless you, Gundy, for convincing your group from Calhoun to brave the drive over and to stay the course during, first snow, then sleet, then freezing rain, to begin their journey to becoming Riflemen! Although we had no riflemen scores during this one day event, we saw much improvement and true, true dedication by shooters as young as 9 and as seasoned as 65.

Perhaps the snowball battles lightened the burden of horrible weather? They certainly kept the enthusiasm high for all of us! In all, it turned out to be a memorable event, and the challenge of having 7 youngsters on the line taxed us instructors, especially in controlling muzzle sweeps. Thanks to all of my outstanding instructors for making my first event as Shoot Boss a success! Many, many thanks to Goose, not only for rising very early on Saturday to drive up, but also for serving as LB and, also, for supplying the great pictures. Huzzah!
C:\Users\Everett\Dropbox\Blue Ridge 20150221

DrJohn

So much good to say about this inaugural event at Blue Ridge. But the best thing, by far, was the enthusiasm, steadfastness, and hardiness of our gallant students, many of whom were less than 16 years old. In spite of the cold, swirling snow, and cold rain, they never complained once, and were enchanted by the Story of Lexington and Concord, April 19, 1775, the day our nation was born. I think I can speak for all the instructors in saying that it was an honor and pleasure to work with such outstanding Americans. I look forward to seeing all of you again soon. And I promise more pleasant weather next time. Huzza, all!!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

What a great weekend with some amazing patriots!

I arrived on Friday afternoon to find Cokeguy and DrJohn had already set the range up. Good thing too because the snow was already falling. I was also greeted by Tiva the Appleseed wonder-dog in her winter coat.

After a hearty dinner and a good night's sleep, we awoke to a good coating of fluffy white snow. DrJohn was heard to exclaim, "I'm going there if I have to walk." To which Cokeguy and I readily agreed, "The show must go on!"  A few minutes later we were on the road and text from Gundy and a phone call from Goose would prove, Appleseeders were on the move! The show would indeed go on! 

After doing the Admin stuff and safety briefing (indoors, thank goodness) we moved out to shoot some Redcoats and begin 13 stalwart Patriots on their journey to Riflemen. No sunshine patriots or summer soldiers these, we had some real troopers. I was able to snap one quick picture before getting down to business.

After the redcoat, our Shoot Boss, Cokeguy,  wisely decided to head back indoors to knock out several blocks of instruction back to back. Below Gundy is shown assisting DrJohn in teaching the 6 Steps.

The firehose of instruction was turned on and we were all indeed very busy, student and instructors alike. I didn't get a chance for any more pictures until the afternoon Redcoat. The snow had finally thawed by then and rain was rolling in its place.

While the end of the day didn't see any Riflemen, it did see a lot of shrinking groups and some great potential. Remember, a Rifleman persists! You showed you had would it takes just by actually getting out of bed and coming out on a day like that. Yet, nobody complained. All of you have what it takes to make Rifleman, and I hope to see all of you in the future on the Appleseed trail.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

goose

Your pictures, Ross, are always great. It is good to have the moments captured for the Shoot Boss and crew to reflect back on, and especially with Cokeguy getting his first SB event under his able and deserving green hat.

Our work is almost always in the elements, and we persevere to overcome the obstacles and endeavor to work as a team to be more effective together.

Dr. John is the ever-watchful eyes and ears, and fine tunes our skills.

Gundy and Ross soldiered on with the full day of RSO duties, and kept the line engaged.

I am glad to have been a part of the first Blue Ridge Appleseed. Those fine Americans who choose to exercise their Liberty, and endure some good winter weather, represent the finest spirit any instructor could ask for.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken