News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbiana, AL Feb21-22, 2014

Started by 4merUSMC1803, February 21, 2015, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4merUSMC1803

This is a placeholder for the full after action report.

Scroll down for the words and photos.

D Lawley

4merUSMC1803

This was the 2015 inaugural event at Columbiana.  Once again, the Shelby County (AL) Sheriff's Office was gracious enough to host Appleseed this weekend.  Things began to get shaky later in the week when we learned that three instructors had to bow out due to illness, or work obligations.  Luckily, we had several instructors coming in from Tennessee and North Alabama.  Then a winter storm advisory came out for the entire Tennessee Valley.  Our instructors were going to have some travel difficulties!  Living Hand decided to come on down from TN on Friday afternoon; after nine hours battling bad weather and traffic problems, he arrived safely at the Training Center.  Mama Bear and her spouse TN Chaplain were able to make it down from Tennessee on Friday as well; as an added bonus for driving down early, they were able to visit the CMP store in Anniston, an hour, or so, away.  They also arrived safely at their hotel. 
Saturday morning dawned with freezing temps and I received word from Rusty and EddieB that road conditions in North Alabama were awful; black ice and wrecks had to be overcome and they would arrive late, BUT they were on the way.
In Columbiana, the rain/sleet had abated early on Saturday morning and the rest of us were able to make it to the venue on time.  As the students arrived, we checked them in, issued handouts and t-shirts and began with the normal welcome, safety brief, and some instruction.  Before we headed out to the firing line, Living Hand presented the First Strike.  This was the beginning of a "Revival" for me.  His delivery was presented with such passion, I got goose bumps, imagining I was there with Captain Parker and his militia on Lexington Green!  Then, we headed out to the firing line and began in earnest.
On Day 1, we began with the venerable Red Coat targets and got a baseline for the group, consisting of nine shooters.  After several blocks of instruction and drills, we managed to get to the first AQT where TN Chaplain shot a qualifying score and revealed himself as a Rifleman; he scored a 218 and accepted an Orange hat.  (Not that he was under any pressure, but he let it be known later, that he had spent the past several months looking at Mama Bear's qualification target, hanging over his armorer's bench.  Just Sayin'!).  Congratulations David!  We also had the good fortunate to award an Orange hat to Glen S (a fellow former Marine; Ooorah!).  He drove down from his home in Tennessee, braving the weather, to be with us in the Yellowhammer State. 
Of note, the wind began about the time we got on the firing line, and increased in intensity throughout the day.  One might say that by the end of the day, shooters were having to contend with gale force winds, yet no one complained and everyone persisted and got through, showing remarkable improvement in their Red Coat scores.
Day 2 dawned with cold rain coming down as the shooters arrived; there were eight.  After a review period, we headed back out to the firing line to take in some practice and drills, including Ball & Dummy and Carding Sights.  Then we began the AQT grind; everyone had to contend with the sloppy conditions and mud, which grew worse as the day wore on.  During the lunch break, the students were treated to some stories about Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women, as the rain began again.   After the working lunch the rain abated somewhat and two more shooters qualified; Park M shot a 224 and Jeb M shot a 215.  This was a great shoot and a wonderful start to 2015!  We had a total of three Riflemen and added two more instructors in training to the ranks.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the next Appleseed scheduled for April 18-19.  This should be a very special weekend for the Yellowhammer State!
Below are a couple of photos showing Park and Jeb as they're being awarded their Rifleman patches.
I believe Rusty has some more photos to post, so stay tuned to this AAR and check back often.  Shooters please feel free to post your comments or provide your input.

D Lawley

Maximum Ordinate

Good morning!  Still playing catch-up from this weekend!

Congrats to Glen from Georgia on the shiny new hat... TN.Chaplain on his new patch and shiny new hat... and Park & Jeb on their patches.  I hope both of you ask for hats soon!

Very proud of all the shooters who braved the sketchy weather and travel conditions!  If didn't earn your patch yet, do not despair.  A Rifleman persists - so keep at it.  Dryfire at home and learn more at each clinic you attend! 

Here are a few pics from this weekend in Columbiana. 

Here is the link to the rest of the pictures.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Ramblin' Wreck

Looks like the 2015 kickoff in Columbiana was a success. I hope to be able to make it down sometime this year. This is a great facility and the local cadre are the best!   O0

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

jmdavis

That's a quorum of Lawley's in that photo. It's good to see you guys.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

TN.Chaplain

What a great weekend!  Mama Bear and I really enjoyed our trip down.  When we returned home, we had logged 600 miles for the round trip, but felt every mile was worth it.  Although I am the new guy, in my opinion, you could take a group of Appleseeders whom had never met before, drop them in a field together for a shoot, and at the end of the second day they would all be friends and act like they had know each other for years.  I would like to thank everyone for a great weekend.
Patriot = An Everyday American That Has Had Enough!

Pop Revere

I'm so glad to see that everyone had a good time and didn't let the weather ruin the weekend. I am so sorry I wasn't able to be there. My wife and I both got sick with this crud that's going around. I'm still trying to get over it.
But anyways, Congratulations to the new Rifleman and the New Orange Hats. Welcome to the TEAM! O0
Looking forward to seeing everyone in the future.

In Liberty,
ARMike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

SnapBang

I just sent an e-mail to the Sheriff of Shelby County thanking him for the use of his fine facility in Columbiana last weekend and would encourage all shooters to do likewise including the instructors and shoot boss. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/happy.gif
Heraclitus - "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.  Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."