News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard, MA --February 15, 2015 One-day Winterseed

Started by hbennett, February 17, 2015, 12:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbennett

February 15, 2015 started off iffy at best.  There had been blizzard or near blizzard conditions up until about 0900,  prompting MA DOT to strongly recommended that folks stay home.   The temperature never got above single digits, and wind gusts were above 35 mph.  Snow blew across the range obscuring targets from time to time.   These were barely the sort of conditions that would qualify this event as a Winterseed.. NOT!   

Three brave and hardy Patriots drove through a snow storm to attend.  For one (Jay) this would be his first Appleseed.  These Patriots three endured the most brutal conditions I have ever experienced at any Appleseed to date.  Mother nature threw some of the worst conditions she had at them.  These guys chewed it up and asked for seconds!   They endured, they persisted, and by the end of the day, their shooting actually improved.  While none would earn the coveted Winterseed patch at this event,  they certainly earned the respect and admiration of this instructor.   

Jay, Jeff, and Tom,  you certainly demonstrated the strength of character that puts you in a league far and above others.   You are men that know what you are about!!

In addition,  2 young high school-aged instructors attended.  Both had designs on earning a Winterseed patch.  One (Ulysses) did so with a score of 218, and on the LAST AQT of the day.  The other (SamB) fell a tad short, but shot a respectable 203.

Both young instructors were a HUGE help in prepping the range for the day's event.   After the club's snowplow and industrial-sized snowblower  cleared the range of  3+ feet of snow,  these young men improvised a line and hangers to get the target line in shape and ready to go.  They persisted throughout  the day without a complaint.   

AIM, our state coordinator and DSB,  deserves  heaps of credit for his sage wisdom and guidance in helping to  make this event a legend in the history of Harvard Appleseeds.

BTW- Did you know that when the temperature outside gets down to about 4 degress .. .22 ammo and metal magazines actually stick to an ungloved hand... Any guesses on how I know this?...
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

hbennett

Cold and snowy.  We had to wait for a snow blower to clear the range.
--

hbennett

Receiving instruction and putting it to practice.
--

hbennett

Seeing the target was often tough due to 35+ MPH gusts and blowing snow... with single digit temps...it was COLD!!

On the plus side.. it kept the mosquitos away..
--

hbennett

The sun has dropped below the berm ..soon sunlight will be fading fast.... last AQT of the day before it gets REALLY cold...
--

hbennett

Thanks to our young instructors, SamB and Ulysses.. both are qualified Riflemen.. but they are pretty good cooks too..  The hot lunch and coffee was a huge morale boost in the cold weather.. They were instrumental in getting the range ready for the event!
--

hbennett

And a few more pictures..
--

Ramblin' Wreck

Huzzah folks!  You exemplify the best qualities of true Patriots.  :bow:

Y'all can keep that weather though.  ;D

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

aim

Nice Sunday. I was impressed by the participants ("let's shoot! We can eat later"), the instructors ("yes, I can did through the pile and squeeze in this mouse hole to retrieve supplies!"), the shoot boss ("yes, I can make all of this happen in half the time with half the usual resources - and keep smiling!"), and the HSC grounds crew ("yes I still have shear pins left. I can clear the range, the road, the parking spots. I can even do it all before 9AM"). The whole day went amazingly smoothly. Sadly, no patches were awarded. Next time for sure!

Here are some more pics:

The sun is setting, the temperature is dropping, brass needs to be picked up.

The kitchen area that hbennett set up. Hot drinks, hot food, shelter. Always prepared, hbennett is...

An icicle patch being awarded. Nice groups!

Shiny!

VietVet

Great work Guys!  O0

For those who don't know the Northeast has been hit with snow storm after snow storm this winter.
Especially Mass. Last report I heard they have received something like 6 feet so far this Year.

Running events, attending events in those conditions is pure dedication.  :bow:

Congrats and thanks to all.

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

dwarven1

Wow... I guess I can't brag about the Athol winterseed (before anyone had even coined the word!) any more. We only had a foot and a half of crusty snow, not THREE FEET, nor a blizzard!!

Very well done, gentlemen, very well done indeed! I am in awe of the dedication needed for such an undertaking.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Big John

Josey Wales

..Team Northeast, holding it down!! My hats off to you in Mass, Great Work!!
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Ramblin' Wreck

Forget Winterseed patches. We should have a "Washington's march to Trenton" patch for events like this.  ;D

Again, great work.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

slim

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Ramblin' Wreck on February 18, 2015, 04:08:06 PM
Forget Winterseed patches. We should have a "Washington's march to Trenton" patch for events like this.  ;D

Again, great work.

Wreck

Yes, or "Henry Knox and the Guns of Ticonderoga" patch.  Well done, Americans.  O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms