News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bald Knob AR, Feb. 14 2015

Started by connibear, February 16, 2015, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connibear

WOW,

Bald Knob events never cease to amaze me. Out of 13 shooters 6 were return shooters from previous events. Saturday started cool but warmed to the high 50's maybe even pushed to 60. Most everyone started with good groups but a few needed some work to shrink their groups, but after a few blocks of instruction those groups started to shrink. Once we did IMC we got several shooters with a 4moa group. As usual though once we introduced time and transition those groups opened up a good bit, but after a few times of transitions they started to come back on. By the end of Saturday we were able to fit in one AQT. The weather forecast was not very pleasant for Sunday. We arrived at the range with 18 degrees and 25 mph full value wind right in the face. Thanks to Quinncannon for supplying the firewood and to V.E.T.S for supplying the fire ring. Although we did not get the anticipated snow during the event it was decided it was cold enough to turn this event into a winterseed. Especially for this part of Arkansas.

Once we started AQT's the riflemen started coming out of the wood work. We had 3 brand new riflemen meet the challenge and 4 attendee requals and 3 instructor requals for a total of 9 patches to be handed out. Not a bad weekend, oh, plus Arkansas has gained 2, yes, 2 new orange hats.

Doug pulled his rifleman score out at a 211 first time qualifying with a bolt action,
John H. pulled is off with a 216 first time qualifying with 10/22, plus he answered the call and took an orange hat,
Young Zach, first time to an appleseed also first time qualifying with a 219, followed up later with another 219, so I thought it appropriate to award him with a winterseed and regular patch. This young man deserved it,
The mighty "Hunter", requaled with a 214,
His dad Keith did a requal with a 225,
Kevin also requalified several times, I believe his highest score was 238, of which 100 of those were on the fourth stage, Kevin also answered the call and took his orange hat,
and the instructors,
quinncannon requaled with a 238 using an AR-15,
arceagle14 requaled with a 235
and sticksnstones requaled with a 213
John D. also requaled on Sat. evening, but I did not get his score.

Congrats to everyone, I wish everyone could have received a patch, however, if you keep practicing you will most assuredly get your rifleman.

Reaghan, you did awesome, you came with shots everywhere on paper and you were able to shrink those groups tremendously, remember to concentrate on holding the trigger back and don't blink when your shot breaks.
Chris G. your almost there, keep applying what you learned cause you are knocking on the door.
Carter, I wish you could have made it for sunday, but remember to concentrate on the steady hold factors and the six steps then I believe you will cross the threshold no problem.
Andrew, keep on fine tuning everything trust your NPOA and remember to relax into your sling.
Evan, same with you, fine tune what you learned, you guys had great groups. Also practice transitions and mag changes will also help.
Chris M. it was a pleasure to have you, improve your skills also by practicing and dry firing.

It was a great pleasure to SB this event everyone was great and all the shooters were probably the safest line I have seen in a long time. There were several instances where a shooter started to cross the line before rifles were cleared and they automatically stopped before they crossed cause they remembered the safety rules and line commands. Great bunch with teachable attitudes.

A few of the shooters wanted to take on the KD portion so after the KD class Quinncannon and NEW red hat Sticksnstones took 3 shooters to ring steel out to 400 yards. John, please give your review of the KD portion as I failed to get the results from you.

Congrats to sticksnstones on earning his red hat. He completed all the requirements to advance.

Thanks to V.E.T.S for allowing us again to use their facilities.

Please leave your comments and post your pics, as I was not able to get any, my camera had frostbite :))     
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Quinncannon

On Sunday KD we had two young men who have qualified multiple times and one who was knocking on the door. We decided for time constraints we would only fire five rounds each stage. First Zach, seventeen years old and full of enthusiasm, this young man used my AR15 to hammer some steel and hammer it, he did! Zach hit steel for at least seventy percent hits from 100 to 400 yards, his first time to shoot at such distance! I can see a KD Appleseed for him in the future, I bet he will qualify!

Kevin, our new Orange Hat, used Stick's AR15 to also hammer steel, he also kept hits at approximately seventy percent, he would also be a very good candidate for a KD Appleseed!

Both Kevin and Zach were using firearms that were not their own and they were somewhat unfamiliar with them, if they had some prior experience with these rifles their scores would have been even higher, I see a good future in Appleseed for them both!

Andrew just wanted to shoot his .264 Winchester Magnum at 300 and 400 prone without sling, we allowed this since it was a familiarization course, he did learn quite a lot about come ups and how to adjust his scope.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Quinncannon

Thanks to Connibear for coming down from Missouri and running a great shoot, I look forward to working with you again! Next time bring the Carpenter family with you too!
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

connibear

I'll try to get them down there.  O0
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Res"Q"John

What a GREAT weekend for Appleseed in Arkansas! Sunburn Saturday & Frostbite Sunday! I'm very happy that I finally shot Rifleman (216) and honored to take an Orange hat. I was most proud watching my daughter Reaghan (15) shoot in her first Appleseed. Thanks to connibear and the other instructors that worked with her. She had a great time and is looking forward to the April 19th shoot. A big Thanks to sticksnstones for his support and belief in me and my ability. All the other shooters were awesome and it was a great honor standing shoulder to shoulder with them on the firing line. God Bless America!
"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry

Arceagle14

What an up-lifting weekend we had in Bald Knob at VETS Shooting Center. Everybody's score steadily improved over the 2 days. No safety issues and everybody seemed to really be having a good time. They also did a very good job of putting up with me trying to learn how to be more help on the line. Seeing that many patches and two orange hats handed out sure left me feeling good about being out in 20 degree weather all day Sunday.
He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

Thomas Jefferson

Rocket Man

That's a nice shoot, gang.   :bow:

rescuejohn, congratulations on your new Hat.   :cool2: 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Res"Q"John

Thank you Rocket Man! I consider it an honor to wear the orange hat. Looking forward to planting the seeds of Liberty and sharing what I have learned to others. Arceagle, you did an awesome job. You were very giving with great instructions to the shooters and gave clear instructions on the line. Hope I can do as well as you in up coming Appleseeds.
"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry

sticksnstones

I really don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. We started out with a great group of attendees in pretty decent weather and they even came back on Sunday as the weather had turned pretty foul. Not only did they show back up but they stuck it out with the cold blistering winds blowing in their faces. Many qualified and many more requalified and I'm am extremely proud of them all. But let's not forget the ones that didn't make the Riflemans score, but improved with every shot and all made personal best scores. Both Chris's that attended knocked on the door many times, but didn't break the 210 mark, but both made the highest scores that they'd ever shot. Proud of these guys. I can't think of one person there that didn't have an open mind to the instruction and improve immensely
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Tortuga

Had a great weekend, even with the weather. Both the students and the instructors did fantastic. I am looking forward to being able help out more at events now. Can't wait till the April 19th Harrisburg Appleseed! ^:)^
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
-Philo

sticksnstones

"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

Mutti

Nice ! Nice !  Really enjoy reading the enthusiasm and dedication the Attendees (and Instructor group) put together.

That 60 degree swing in temps. certainly put a challenge in front of you all.

Can't wait to hear how Patriots' Day goes with so many new and very close to it Rifleman.

Huzzah !

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine