News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA After Action Report Feb 14-15, 2015

Started by bob 210, February 16, 2015, 01:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

We were joined by 16 wonderful Americans and an Italian exchange student among which were a contingent of the American Hertiage Girls ( http://americanheritagegirls.net/ ). It was a glorious morning to start a weekend which would hold many fun and exciting events for both attendees and instructors. Be sure to check back here to read all the details.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

G_fresh

We had an awesome shoot - new Riflemen, new Instuctors, new promotions, etc.

But what really made it, were the people:

Paloma: what really struck me was her enthusiasm at the end to increase her best score of the day even further with her new rifle. I'm sure we'll see her at the next Appleseed (AS)!

Octavio: Shot his M1A all weekend! He counted 410 rounds by the end of the weekend. He shot so much Saturday, he had to make a quick stop to buy more .308 for Sunday.

Kristin, brought three of her seven children: Tatum, Peytan, and Branson and even a foreign exchange student from Italia: Luca. Even though she was not shooting, I could tell the history/stories really impacted her.

Tatum: one of the three "American Heritage Girls" was always eager to learn more. Her mother thought she would be a good instructor in a couple of years and I agree!

Peyton: the youngest of the American Heritage Girls always had a smile on her face and was willing to try everything that we threw at her. As I recall, she never sat out a single course of fire the entire weekend - pretty amazing!

Branson: was enthusiastic. He really helpful during instruction review periods; he was always ready to attempt an answer and was usually right. We'll see if we can get you a try on a scoped rifle next time!

Luca: the Italian exchange student. At the end of the weekend, he told us a touching story about not being able to even touch a rifle in his native country. He then thanked us for the opportunity. Maybe it's time to immigrate to the US and free that inner Rifleman?

Gerald: He spent an extra, unplanned day with us on Sunday. This meant he camped Saturday night up at the range with us, and slept in Terrance's jeep without a blanket or sleeping bag despite the 48 degree low temperature. This, to reach his goal of making Rifleman/Instructor so he can help get an Appleseed up near his home in San Luis Obispo, CA. I hope we can help him reach our common goal next time!

Luke, father of Taylor and Jake was great company around the campfire Saturday night while camping at the range. Thanks for bring 2 of your brood! Let's get the rest out next time, age-permitting!

Taylor: American Heritage Girl that exhibited a quiet confidence in her actions. I think she remembered every point of instruction. When the crowd got a little tired teaching me on Sunday, she jumped in. Also noteworthy, she was the first to jump up and volunteer to have a crack at the Garand at the end of the day. Tallying up several pings with just one enbloc on the 100yd steel Redcoat - offhand!

Jake: I heard he is quite the craftsman with his hands. The way he was safely handling his rifle leads me to believe that is true.

George: gave great student-to-student instruction during Ball and Dummy! To me, he looked just like a instructor-to-be. He promised to get his daughter up to the next AS - we're holding you to that!

Noah: joined us for Sunday only. He fell right in where he left off from his last AS in Santa Barbara last summer - I think I saw that he essentially shot out his first sighter square of the day! Also, he got his best Red Coat score so far.

Ed: we were students together a year ago when I was proving to myself that my Rifleman patch was not just mere luck. While I remembered Ed, I actually forgot he earned his patch with a score of 210. So, when I heard he got a score of 230-something sunday afternoon, I was excited we got a new Rifleman. But, he gave us even better news by taking an orange hat to begin his AS journey!

Spencer: 9 year old that ran the single-shot, bolt action, "Cricket" 22 rifle faster than most adults. He also really got into he history asking many follow-up questions.

I didn't get much of a chance to interact with Aaron, Bob, and Tabbatha (?). I hope to change that in the future when you guys come to more Appleseeds!

Finally, LeeWhay, my wife and RIFLEMAN! I estimate she's been a student over 10 times at this point. She showed incredible perseverance in keeping at it for all these hot, dusty weekends. You may think it was me dragging her to more Appleseeds. But, oftentimes, she signed up herself. Then, I would feel "obligated" to go and instruct just so I could be there when she got the patch. I'm so proud of her!

Thanks again to Kool aid and gonejohnny for cooking al 20-something of us lunch. It was muy rica!

Thanks to instructors bob 210, Kool aid, gonejohnny, gratefuldog, rocdale, twobeagles, and OPFOR DOC for helping with the mission!

G_fresh

Pics:

Haywire

It was a great weekend, and time well spent learning from enthusiastic volunteers. I highly recommend getting out to an AS event in your area.  I took no pics. Not even a selfie.

Chickadee

I'm not sure how many Appleseed events I have attended, but this one stood out for me.  Everyone was positive and enjoyable to be around (both instructors and students).  Ryan earned his red hat and I finally shot Rifleman.  I'm not sure I really believe it.   I'll just have to do it again to prove it to myself  :)

Thanks again to everyone for making this appleseed memorable!  I hope to see you all again.

LeeWhay (aka Chickadee)

CatChitlins

Did anyone else take pictures they could post here? I left my phone and camera at home so I don't really have any. :/