News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Jacksonville lecture

Started by ToneDef, February 14, 2015, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToneDef

http://www.jaxhistory.org/event/spies-schemes-sons-liberty-shadier-side-east-west-florida/?instance_id=330

For those interested, the Jacksonville Historical Society will be presenting a lecture on Thursday, February 26 entitled "Spies, Schemes and the Sons of Liberty: The Shadier Side of East and West Florida." From the title it is clear that this topic is right up our alley. I am not familiar with the speaker nor can I attest that this will be a liberty-oriented presentation, but what use is our system if we never listen to different points of view? I intend to be there in an AS T-shirt and maybe learn about some topics which we can present on at future 'Seeds. Hope to see many of you there.

Tony
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

Sly223

Washington's secret Six The Culper ring!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

theri

I am planning on attending this and will also wear one of my many Appleseed shirts.

Terry

Terry Theriault  (Screen Name:  "theri" )
8803 Reedy Branch Drive
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

theri2@comcast.net
(904) 591-5342 (cell)
(904) 538-9366 (home
Whiskey Tango 9

theri

I attended this presentation and it was very interesting talking about the 14th and 15th British colonies (East Florida and West Florida) in what is now the United States.  These two colonies remained loyal to the King and did not join in the revolution.  In fact when they received word of Declaration of Independence  in St Augustine there was a riotin which they hung effigies of Sam Adams and John Hancock and set them on fire. 

In a twist of what happened in Concord it was the colonists that tried (5 times) to invade East Florida to capture British  arms and ammunition that  were stored at St Augustine to prevent there use in the British Southern Campaign in Georgia and South Carolina.

More information is available at www.colonialre.com.
Whiskey Tango 9

ToneDef

Terry, I'm so glad you were able to attend this lecture even though traffic prevented me from making it. Thanks for the summary and the link to more info.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"