News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa CA One-Day Appleseed, 8 Feb 2015

Started by Rocket Man, February 10, 2015, 01:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

One day Appleseed, you say?  Yup, that's right.  It's a tough thing to squeeze our marksmanship instruction into a single day, along with giving history and heritage the respect it deserves -- but enough folks have asked me that this year we're trying it.  And so far, it's been great!

Last month we got rained out.  This month I guessed right, and picked the day after it rained.   ;)  We had a beautiful day, a beautiful range, and ten beautiful patriots on the line with us.  Instructing was David (Bucklenose) and Dan (whangdoodle) along with myself.  Our students all showed up on time, and we got right to it...

Our opening Redcoat showed some promise, with returning Rifleman Chris nearly clearing it, but most of our students were hoping to do better, just like always.  So off to work.  We started with a long dry prep period to rehearse Steady Hold Factors and the Six Steps of Taking the Shot, while instructors helped sort out slings and sights, and took a look at stock fitment, cheek weld, and proper manipulation.  After that we knocked out some squares, sorted out a couple of mysterious sight adjustments, and got running in pretty good tune by lunch.   :cool2:

On to history.  April 19th, the birthday of the United States of America.  It's a story I never tire of, even though to tell it all would take a week, and I'd be out of breath long before then.   :pop:  But we were left behind, as always, inspired and hoping to live up to the hopes our forefathers and foremothers had for us.  The afternoon would tell...

Our students were a great bunch, everything from a strapping young 20-year-old at his first event, to some mature gentlemen who were wearing OD Green the last time they touched a trigger.  A lot of life experience on the line!  And that showed in how quickly they took to instruction and how quickly we got some nice groups.

We also had a nice mix of gear on the line.  Two students opted to bring .223's, and Dave showed with a nice Savage boltie in .30 '06!  Thunder indeed!  But their groups prove that the fundamentals work, no matter what you're shooting.   ^:)^

Being only a single-day class we had time for but one AQT.  However, Rifleman Chris knocked it down with ease -- I scored him at 221, though modestly he thinks it was only a 214, but either way it's a nice piece of shooting.   :---  Returning student and future Orange Hat ( &) ) Mark turned in a 187, and he's got more in him for sure.  Our closing Redcoat showed some nice improvement, with Alton clearing it to beat the class.

So, all too soon it was time to pack up and head home, but we'll be back soon.  There's a full weekend shoot coming on March 14-15, and another one-day shoot on April 11th.  We've already got a good number of sign-ups for both, so don't wait too long...  See you all at the next one!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Only problem with one-day shoots is that I run around so much, there's hardly any time for pictures!

I only got three pictures.  Here they are:

Isn't that beautiful?  Seriously, can you look at that picture and say, with a straight face, that you wouldn't want to be there??

Looking down the line early in the day...  I see some slings not yet being used to their full potential, but we'd soon fix that

From reverse angle, we're in prep for Stage 2 of the AQT

Keep practicing!  See you soon!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Rocket Man

Thanks, and long time no see...  if you're ever in town, I'll save a spot on the line for you!

crobjones2

It was a great experience to learn from a different instructor. It is obvious V and Rocketman have done their jobs, I was estimating a 205 on the AQT. Found my bubble and pulled it out.
I was amazed at how all the instruction was crammed into one short day.
I will attend another Appleseed and hopefully bringing and hooking another neighbor. Work willing, the KD is next!
Thanks again Rocketman!

dld6049

Hi Rocketman,

I too very much enjoyed the day at Burro Canyon on February 8th.  I am signed up for the March 14th and 15th event.  I am bringing my brother.  I do have a couple questions.

1.  This next time, I would like to shoot my AR-15.  I purchased some of that .556 ZQ ammo made in Turkey.  It that ammo o.k. to shoot at Burro Canyon?  I have looked at the Burro Canyon website, and I cannot find any rules about what type of ammo is prohibited.

2. Part of the reason I did the Appleseed was to qualify to purchase an M1 Garand.  Are we going to receive anything in the mail like a participation certificate?  Also, I have yet to receive my membership card from Appleseed.  Any idea on how long that takes?

Again.  I had a great day.  Thanks for everything.

Dave (with the Savage bolt action 30.06)

dld6049

Here are a few photos from the February 8 Appleseed at Burro Canyon.

Rocket Man

Hi Dave, you're on my list for March.

The issue on ammunition is whether or not the bullets are ferrous (e.g., magnetic) since that can pose a fire hazard.

ZQ ammunition might use the SS109 or related projectile, which is magnetic, or it might not -- I haven't been able to find a definite answer.  Best thing for you to do since you've already got it is to test it against a magnet, and if it passes (doesn't attract a magnet) it's good to go. 

There's a CMP Marksmanship Participation Form that I can fill out on request.  Hit me up early on Saturday and I'll make one up for you. 

If you don't have a membership card by then, I can make one for you.  Would have done last time, but I forgot...  one day classes are busy!

Nice pictures!