News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bedford, IN Feb 7-8, 2015

Started by brianheeter, February 09, 2015, 01:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianheeter

brianheeter's phone buzzed.  "Yeah.  OK."  He hung up the phone and tapped the tabletop pensively.

"Is everything alright?" Johnson asked, concern apparent in his voice.

"Bedford needs me."

"I thought those folks were pretty well sorted out."  Johnson was incredulous.

"They are...they are."  He paused a moment and then said, "I think the truth is that I need Bedford.  We all need Bedford."

He pressed a button on the console and picked up a handset.  "Bob, we're headed back to Indiana...the Sultan will have to wait."

His staff hurried back to their seats as the sleek jet changed course and streaked across the sky.

A few hours later brianheeter stepped out of his car and his feet sunk ominously into the loose soil of the bean field.  He breathed in the clean air through his nose and let it fill his lungs.  He looked around as he exhaled and said to himself, "Let's see what we can do about saving this country."

The first Bedford shoot of the year is in the books.  Shooters from 3 states converged on the bomb range and enjoyed 2 days of history, heritage and rifle marksmanship.  The Bedford Contingent Blue Hats were in typical form dishing up good food, hospitality and good-natured abuse to shooters and volunteers alike.  The weather was unseasonably warm getting into the low to mid 50s on Saturday and Sunday with things wrapping up Sunday afternoon just as the skies started to threaten rain.

Congratulations to Chad who cleared his Red Coat on Saturday and then scored Rifleman on Sunday.  HUZZAAAAHHHHH!!!!  I checked over on INGO and his avatar has already been changed to a photo of his cleared Red Coat target, his RM AQT and his RM patch.  I like it!

I will also call out Luke, a young man who showed great improvement and scored a 206 on his best AQT of the weekend.  This was his first Appleseed shoot and if he sticks at it he will be over the top before too long.

Remember, it's not really about your AQT score.  It's about the skills that allow you to make that score time and time again.  And even more it's about knowing our history and shared heritage and the knowledge that we all owe a debt to those that risked and lost their lives and livelihoods for the freedoms that we enjoy today.  Make good use of it and preserve it for your posterity.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

AARs such as these need a "Like" button.

muffin308

There...!  His Majesty can now read my name without glasses.  And he can double the reward on my head!  - John Hancock
To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and to be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. - Richard Henry Lee

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Orangedotfever

Wish I could have been there both days. Not bad weather for February in Bedford. Nice working with you Brian and Rayne. By the way, where are the slings on those center fires?  ~~:)
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

techres

We also used tracers to help teach both ballistic curve and wind during the KD session.

http://youtu.be/N3vRjHuM-u4

Rocket Man

Quote from: techres on February 10, 2015, 01:52:52 AM
We also used tracers to help teach both ballistic curve and wind during the KD session.

OH MAN.

Alas, for we live in fire country.   :'(  That's awesome.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rayne

http://youtu.be/N3vRjHuM-u4

SPQR raised that ole boy up right.
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Chilidog

It was an awesome shoot! Everyone did a great job learning which was why you came. But remember to keep learning and practicing. Congratulations to Chad! Hope to see you all again soon!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

SPQR

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

D.S.S.

Slim, I 2nd the comment about the need for a "LIKE" button!!  I wish the drive from Battle Creek wasn't so far. I'm afraid the ole Chevy 2500 HD would bleed me dry. Summer's coming. I'm sure a trip just south of Indy is in my future.
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

techres

Quote from: Rocket Man on February 10, 2015, 02:14:35 AM

OH MAN.

Alas, for we live in fire country.   :'(  That's awesome.

Come and visit some day, we'd love to have you.  And the tracers are a great visual aid.

Here are a few more pictures from Sunday's KD lesson:

Kerry Zoller lit up the 200 yard steel with the .22lr (VIDEO!)

Gif version:

And Slow2Speak had to light the hill up at 300 yards. Literally... (VIDEO!)

Gif version (no, he does not shoot that fast):

Oh, and the ground was very soggy/wet and we were not concerned about tracer started fire.  The joke about range control is from the Atterbury KD shoot where the 50 cal gunners on another range managed to set a hill on fire.

SPQR

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Indychad

Quote from: Chilidog on February 10, 2015, 08:27:03 AM
It was an awesome shoot! Everyone did a great job learning which was why you came. But remember to keep learning and practicing. Congratulations to Chad! Hope to see you all again soon!

Plan on seeing me again Chilidog. I have the 19th of April booked. I'm going to load up my son and head further south. It seems like a good place to expose him to his first Seed. Maybe I'll find a new hat while I'm there, ya never know. See ya all there.

techres

techres

GoldFish

Quote from: slim on February 09, 2015, 03:51:02 PM
AARs such as these need a "Like" button.

Roger that!  This makes me want to head back to my home stompin' grounds and hit a Seed out there.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

techres

Rayne says slomo shows arc better so:

Hop

That's a lot of Kentucky windage your holding there Rayne.  ;)

techres

Quote from: Hop on February 11, 2015, 11:58:17 AM

We had full effect wind and she was slightly cross shooting.  But she hit it.

Nero

Parallax!

;D   >:D  **)

<Running for cover.>
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Mutti

Finally able to turn on the computer that makes all the pics / .gifs gorgeous!

Those faces look ready for an awesome future while some serious learning is taking place.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Rayne

And you thought I was aiming at that huge orange piece of steel  **) 
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Hickory Stick

It was a great weekend for the girls and I.  I have seen so much improvement in them (and myself) over the past 1.5 years!  I didn't load a single magazine for them the whole weekend, heck I think they loaded some for me a time or 2.  I was really hoping to shoot a rifleman this time, it didn't happen, but much improvement was made.  Magazine changes happened and I got most of my rounds off on the AQT's so I am calling it a success  O0  Thank you to all the instructors and hats for a great weekend at Bedford!!

:: Kerry:: ( Hickory Stick's wife  ;D)

We had the girls write their own AAR's and I am just now getting them on here  :slap:

Rayne, thank you for that suggestion, I should have had them do this every time.  It made for a great Monday morning school assignment!

Parker- 14yo

Last weekends appleseed has been by far the most memorable one I have been to. I remember going to my first one and being super stressed about the magazine changes and afraid they were going to call me out to answer a question or something of the sort. But I have to say that this is the first one where I've known where I need to be, what to do, and when I need to shoot, which I think is an accomplishment in itself. With a ton of help and patience, from the instructors, I learned how to sight in tech sights and move them one way and be able to bring them back again without messing them all up. When we stopped for lunch (which was fantastic!) they told about our forefathers and it got me thinking about something I never really thought about before. They didn't have to go. The colonists could've stayed under the kings rule and obeyed. It would have definitely been easier. But instead they put themselves in harms way for us, the future generation. It may seem funny that I just got that because I've been to about 4 appleseeds and heard the story, but it hit me pretty hard that they could've just stayed by their cozy fire and let it happen. To me I feel an amazing sense of responsibility that I never had there on my shoulders before to preserve what our forefathers were willing to die for. The instructors did a great job in keeping the story alive, making it extremely uplifting, and also telling the story other ways then just telling it the same way every time. Sunday we used tracers on some of the rifles to see where the shots went and it was really neat because you could see how much you needed to adjust without driving back and forth. (I did not shoot a tracer but my amazing and wonderful mother did.) After that I shot my dad's AR at some steel and it was super awesome. I didn't shoot a rifleman this time, but I did figure out I need to do a lot (putting much emphasis on a lot.) more dry firing and practicing getting in and out of my positions quickly. Everyone there was awesome and one amazing gentleman even got a rifleman. As I wrap this up one more thing I learned is that the people at appleseed are using their time to be there for you, so take advantage of it.

Until the next seed.       

Parker Zoller

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kacy 12yo

Last weekend I went to my fourth appleseed. We had great weather compared to last year's winterseed. My favorite part of appleseed is the history. I love how all instructors tell the story of how our forefather's were willing to die for the next generation to have freedom. The instructors taught us about breathing and the different shooting positions. I had a little bit of trouble with my trigger squeeze but some of the awesome instructor's helped me with it. At lunch (which was amazing and we are super lucky Bedford cooks for us) the instructor's told us about the first strike. The instructor's taught us about KD (Known Distance) and we shot some AQT's. Sunday we shot some steel targets with our 22's and we shot some AR's,  and other guns too. I am going to practice more and hopefully I get rifleman next time. All in all I had a great weekend. I would like to tell all the instructor's thank you for putting a lot of time and effort into appleseed and for helping all the shooters if any of us had any sort of problem. By the way the instructor's are awesome. Hopefully I make it to the next appleseed. ☺

☺ Kacy Zoller ☺
" If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."   Thomas Jefferson

Ignorant and free can never be.....

Lonestar6

Thank you for your input Hickory Stick, et al.! This is exactly why we volunteer here; for the collective posterity! I hope to meet y'all on the line soon!
In liberty,
Lonestar6
Quote from: Hickory Stick on February 18, 2015, 10:39:34 PM
It was a great weekend for the girls and I.  I have seen so much improvement in them (and myself) over the past 1.5 years!  I didn't load a single magazine for them the whole weekend, heck I think they loaded some for me a time or 2.  I was really hoping to shoot a rifleman this time, it didn't happen, but much improvement was made.  Magazine changes happened and I got most of my rounds off on the AQT's so I am calling it a success  O0  Thank you to all the instructors and hats for a great weekend at Bedford!!

:: Kerry:: ( Hickory Stick's wife  ;D)

We had the girls write their own AAR's and I am just now getting them on here  :slap:

Rayne, thank you for that suggestion, I should have had them do this every time.  It made for a great Monday morning school assignment!

Parker- 14yo

Last weekends appleseed has been by far the most memorable one I have been to. I remember going to my first one and being super stressed about the magazine changes and afraid they were going to call me out to answer a question or something of the sort. But I have to say that this is the first one where I've known where I need to be, what to do, and when I need to shoot, which I think is an accomplishment in itself. With a ton of help and patience, from the instructors, I learned how to sight in tech sights and move them one way and be able to bring them back again without messing them all up. When we stopped for lunch (which was fantastic!) they told about our forefathers and it got me thinking about something I never really thought about before. They didn't have to go. The colonists could've stayed under the kings rule and obeyed. It would have definitely been easier. But instead they put themselves in harms way for us, the future generation. It may seem funny that I just got that because I've been to about 4 appleseeds and heard the story, but it hit me pretty hard that they could've just stayed by their cozy fire and let it happen. To me I feel an amazing sense of responsibility that I never had there on my shoulders before to preserve what our forefathers were willing to die for. The instructors did a great job in keeping the story alive, making it extremely uplifting, and also telling the story other ways then just telling it the same way every time. Sunday we used tracers on some of the rifles to see where the shots went and it was really neat because you could see how much you needed to adjust without driving back and forth. (I did not shoot a tracer but my amazing and wonderful mother did.) After that I shot my dad's AR at some steel and it was super awesome. I didn't shoot a rifleman this time, but I did figure out I need to do a lot (putting much emphasis on a lot.) more dry firing and practicing getting in and out of my positions quickly. Everyone there was awesome and one amazing gentleman even got a rifleman. As I wrap this up one more thing I learned is that the people at appleseed are using their time to be there for you, so take advantage of it.

Until the next seed.       

Parker Zoller

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kacy 12yo

Last weekend I went to my fourth appleseed. We had great weather compared to last year's winterseed. My favorite part of appleseed is the history. I love how all instructors tell the story of how our forefather's were willing to die for the next generation to have freedom. The instructors taught us about breathing and the different shooting positions. I had a little bit of trouble with my trigger squeeze but some of the awesome instructor's helped me with it. At lunch (which was amazing and we are super lucky Bedford cooks for us) the instructor's told us about the first strike. The instructor's taught us about KD (Known Distance) and we shot some AQT's. Sunday we shot some steel targets with our 22's and we shot some AR's,  and other guns too. I am going to practice more and hopefully I get rifleman next time. All in all I had a great weekend. I would like to tell all the instructor's thank you for putting a lot of time and effort into appleseed and for helping all the shooters if any of us had any sort of problem. By the way the instructor's are awesome. Hopefully I make it to the next appleseed. ☺

☺ Kacy Zoller ☺
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.