News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hernando, FL Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2015

Started by 9mm4545, February 02, 2015, 09:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Lady Liberty must have been really smiling this weekend. Hernando Sportsman's Club saw 28 patriots come out to learn Marksmanship and Heritage at the Project Appleseed event under clear skies and beautiful Florida conditions. With an amazingly large attendance we were scrambling to set up more target line as folks just kept on coming, filling the firing line and setting up their gear. With our capable instructor team we quickly got down to business and the fire hose of instruction was turned loose. First order of business after the usual safety briefing and other housekeeping was the Redcoat target--which showed that much improvement was possible. Students were taught how to build a solid shooting position including the use of the most underrated item of gear in shooting today: the simple web sling. The vital Six Steps to firing a shot was next and the groups began to shrink but when Natural Point of Aim was taught and our students began to relax into the positions, then some good shooters became even better. The dreaded Inches-Minutes-Clicks (math in public) was skillfully explained by Janet and students were given homework before venturing downrange to inspect their targets and calculate their sight changes. In a blink of an eye, it was lunchtime and we were not only fed but transported back in time to an April morning in New England when farmers and shopkeepers faced off against a professional army to fight not for territory or riches but for an idea called "Liberty". The afternoon moved along at an even faster pace as the positions of seated and standing were taught and practiced, transitions and reloads were introduced, and the call of "quickly" was heard more than once. Archie continued the story of April 19th as the battle of Concord was brought to life during an afternoon break. Finally, the test of the AQT was before the group. Two remarkable young ladies named Madison and Hannah showed what good shooting was all about and turned in scores that anyone could be proud of. Robert overcame early equipment difficulties and showed that he is a man who knows what he is about with a solid Rifleman score. As the day ended, we heard "the rest of the story" where British colonists finally became Americans and a day that began in Lexington ended up changing the world.

Sunday began with most of us moving a bit slower with perhaps a bit of stiffness and soreness but before long the day warmed up as did the shooters. Some quick reviews of positions, slings, Six Steps, NPOA, IMC, Rifleman Cadence and all the rest showed that these people were shooters and the brass just kept flying as improvements were made. At lunchtime we learned of some remarkable individuals that we call Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women. Our students got to experience marksmanship teaching as the roles of shooter and coach were played out in the Ball and Dummy drill--complete with a very sweet reactive target. After a quick presentation on Known Distance shooting we selected a few qualified shooters and showed that what works at 25 yards also works at 100 yards and beyond. The smiles generated when ringing the steel at 200 yards were priceless. The apparent ease of Hannah and Madison as they fired their first AR-15's was proof that to "shoot like a girl" is a high compliment indeed. When the final target was scored, Hannah, Madison, and Charlie had all re-qualified. Charlie, a natural left hander, managed to shoot the score right handed earning a 210 and a brief baptism of cold North Bridge water. Well done, sir! It is my belief that there will be many more Riflemen who will be revealed in this great group of people and I do look forward to seeing each and every one wearing proudly the coveted Rifleman patch. Huzzah!

I know photos were taken so if you have them, please share them so we can all remember this wonderful weekend. Lastly, without the expert professional help of Dwight, Archie, and Janet, this event could not have been half as good as it was. You guys rock!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Cracker Jim

Saturday's Riflemen.  My girls showed how it is supposed to be done!  Words from a truly proud dad.

Thank you to Archie, Bruce, Janet and Dewight.  The whole family had a great time and we can't wait until April.

Thanks again,
Jim

ItsanSKS

Congratulations to the new Riflemen!  Or is it Riflewomen?  At any rate, you have plenty to be proud of Cracker Jim. 

I have it on good authority that there were some prospective Instructors In Training that might have volunteered at this event.  Any truth to that rumor? 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

alkeford

Quote from: Cracker Jim on February 04, 2015, 07:28:05 AM
Saturday's Riflemen.  My girls showed how it is supposed to be done!  Words from a truly proud dad.

So how come your not signed up as an IIT with the girls
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.