News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

LEXINGTON AND CONCORD

Started by jmdavis, January 27, 2015, 07:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

If you want to know what was happening on April 19, 1775, you don't have to watch a TV show. We have historic documents including the deposition of John Parker about that day given on April 25, 1775.

http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=419

The document is downloadable.

Here is a text version of the deposition.

"No. 4
Lexington
April 25th, 1775
I, John Parker, of lawful age, and Commander of the Militia in Lexington, do testify and declare That on the 19th Instant, in the Morning, about one of the Clock, being informed that there were a Number of Regular Officers riding up and down the Road, stopping and insulting People as they passed the Road, and also was informed that a Number of Regular troops were on their March
from Boston, in order to take the Province Stores at Concord, ordered our Militia to meet on the Common in said Lexington, to consult what to do, and concluded not to be discovered, nor meddle or make with said Regular Troops (if they should approach) unless to they should insult or molest us
and upon their sudden Approach I immediately ordered our Militia to disperse and not to fire. Immediately said Troops made their appearance and rushed furiously, fired upon and killed eight of our party, without receiving any Provocation therefor from us.

John Parker"

Date:
April 25th, 1775
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

jmdavis

Just a few months after his deposition, Parker would be dead from terminal TB. He fought April 19, 1775 already in the final stages of TB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parker_%28captain%29

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

jmdavis

If you want to know what was happening on April 19, 1775, you don't have to watch a TV show. We have historic documents including the deposition of John Parker about that day given on April 25, 1775.

http://www.archives.gov/historical-docs/todays-doc/?dod-date=419

The document is downloadable.

Here is a text version of the deposition.

"No. 4
Lexington
April 25th, 1775
I, John Parker, of lawful age, and Commander of the Militia in Lexington, do testify and declare That on the 19th Instant, in the Morning, about one of the Clock, being informed that there were a Number of Regular Officers riding up and down the Road, stopping and insulting People as they passed the Road, and also was informed that a Number of Regular troops were on their March
from Boston, in order to take the Province Stores at Concord, ordered our Militia to meet on the Common in said Lexington, to consult what to do, and concluded not to be discovered, nor meddle or make with said Regular Troops (if they should approach) unless to they should insult or molest us
and upon their sudden Approach I immediately ordered our Militia to disperse and not to fire. Immediately said Troops made their appearance and rushed furiously, fired upon and killed eight of our party, without receiving any Provocation therefor from us.

John Parker"

Date:
April 25th, 1775

jmdavis

http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/timeline/amrev/shots/concern.html

The Library of Congress has good transcriptions of the depositions of participants of the Battles at Lexington and Concord.

jmdavis

Mutti

Thanks for the reminders. There is quite a bit of information in the "archives" of our Nation.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)