News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bone Creek Gun Club, Pittsburg, Kansas January 24-25

Started by TomCat, January 26, 2015, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomCat

A good turn out with safe shooters.  Congrats to John for making Rifleman under winter-like conditions.  Saturday was somewhat mild, but Sunday was very cold with gusts of wind that blew mats and anything else not weighted down across the firing line one direction, then a while later in the other direction.
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

11 yr old Cale persisted throughout the weekend doing very well. I expect to see good things come from him.

TomCat

This old guy shot a 226 while demonstrating Appleseed techniques.

TomCat

We were joined by enthusiastic ROTC cadets who persisted throughout the weekend. 

TomCat

Very proud of our youth shooters,  and family who support them.  Thanks to our host Bone Creek Gun Club, and to IT'S Lomshek and Kevin for making this a safe and productive event.

Lomshek

We had a great time with some cool but mild weather Saturday and drizzly (early on) cold and very windy (20-30 mph) Sunday.  Tomcat does a great job and KSFlatlander was an asset on the line as always.

We had 15 shooters on the line Saturday then lost a few Sunday and a few more had to leave early Sunday so finished with 8.

I've been pushing hard with the local ROTC dept. to get the cadets out and got 7 of them to make it Saturday.  Since they weren't able to use issue rifles I put out a request to our club for AR loaners and was overwhelmed with donations.  An area PD even loaned me a couple rifles out of their armory for the cause.  The chief competes in the USPSA matches I put on and High Power and wanted to make sure we were set (Thanks Tommy!!!).  Originally we were going to have 10 cadets but, as always, not everyone made it so we had a few rifles to spare.  The ROTC commander is very supportive but his hands are tied as far as weapons usage.  He did authorize using dept discretionary funds to purchase ammo.

With time I hope to get our range certified by Big Army so we can host official unit level training with issue weapons and ammo.  Over the years I've made numerous contacts with the area Guard & Reserve unit commands and am usually getting small contingents using POW's taking part.

On to some pics.

My "Freedom Van" loaded with loaner rifles (8 AR's and 3 10/22's), mats and support gear!

The leaders running to the rifles for a mad minute!

The firing line Saturday morning.

Who got the 300 yard redcoat?

Four of our ROTC cadets raining lead on red coats.

Sunday afternoon surrounded by a lake of brass.

10Gunner

Just wanted to take a moment and comment about the event my son and I attended in Pittsburg. First and foremost, Cale had a wonderful time and very much enjoyed interacting with the instructors and other shooters. He came away from the event with a better understanding of shooting skills and really learned a lot and improved his shooting. He feels that he has all the tools necessary to take himself to the next level. As an observer, I was very impressed with the way the program was conducted and would like to personally thank all of those involved.

Lomshek

We were glad to have your son on the line!  It was obvious you gave him a great start and he and you impressed us greatly.  If only all dads were as on the ball.

KSFlatlander

Another great appleseed weekend. We had a pretty good turn out on Saturday. If like to say thank you to Lomshek and Tomcat for sharing their experience and wisdom, I learned a great deal from them. They are both top notch instructors. Also thank you to the Bone Creek gun club for the use of the range. It is a really nice range. Hats off to the students, they were a great bunch to work with, and they all improved their marksmanship over the weekend. Congradulations to John for persevering and earning a rifleman badge.