News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wind strategies from Master Sgt Norm Anderson USAR

Started by proneshooter, January 24, 2015, 09:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proneshooter

A very interesting video of (then) Sgt First Class Anderson having a team discussion about wind strategies
http://youtu.be/i0H08JTs1Lg

SFC Anderson coaching Captain Freeman on the 600 yd stage of the National Trophy Team Match at Camp Perry
http://youtu.be/4qd_mzJwxgs

jmdavis

There's also one of him somewhere on youtube coaching Sgt Kris Friend. Friend and Freeman often squad together at some of the matches on the East Coast.

Norm Anderson is another of those National Champions who knows what he is doing and is willing to share with others. I was shooting a match with paid pullers once and got to spend my downtime watching him shoot. He really does know his stuff.

If you look around you will find where I posted a video of MSGT Julia Watkins shooting the 1903a3 at Camp Perry back in 2011 or so. Good stuff because you get to see her trigger control and how she handles the recoil even with a bad shoulder. She was sore for a few days, but she was 2nd oiverall the first time that she had ever fired an 03.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

proneshooter

jmdavis

Those are the ones.

Should someone watch the video with Sgt Friend, note the instructions that Anderson gives, "A little X at 3, Kris" for example. When these guys hold for the X they hit the X unless their windcall is off. The coach can give them hold offs or wind corrections. In other words when shooting at 600 yards, they aren't trying to hit the target, or even the black of the bullseye. They are shooting for the 6 inch X ring. They will accept the 10 if it is on call, but the X is the goal.

To put it in Appleseed terms, lets say that you are shooting at 400 yards and the wind comes up during your string to 10mph at 3 o'clock. We all know that is a full value wind. If you have also taken the time to determine your front sight width, or the width or your reticle or distance to the duplex line, you can use that information to either shade (use a portion of up to half of the front sight) or hold (use an offset of the full front sight).

So to run the Appleseed simplified wind numbers you have 10mph at 400 yards and full value. That is 4 moa of wind. So with a 7 or 8 moa wide front sight you could shade half the front sight and be in the 5 ring on a zeroed rifle. With a 12 moa wide front sight you would want to shade by 1/3 of the sight.

Try running the numbers for yourself with a 15mph wind from 3 and a 7 moa sight. Then try a 20 mph wind from 8 and a 7 moa sight. These exercises help prepare you for what you might see and experience while shooting.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

WinterRider