News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa, CA 10 January 2015

Started by Rocket Man, January 13, 2015, 01:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Well, we got rained on.   ???

For 2015 we kicked off the first of nine Appleseeds at Burro Canyon, in the delightful mountains of Southern California, with a one-day only class.  I've had a lot of requests for single-day events, so we're going to try it and see how it goes.  We've got five more scheduled over the year, along with two "Regular" full weekend Appleseed Experiences, and a special two-day Rimfire KD Appleseed Experience.

But nobody figured on the rain!  You have to understand, us Californians have only seen the stuff about three times in the last two years, so it was no doubt confusing when the drops started to fall.  I'm also not real sad about it -- heck, rain on me some more, my Liberty garden will appreciate it...   ..:.. 

All the same, we did have one hardy soul come out, rain or no rain.  And what a student he was.  Our new buddy Albert came ready to play -- safety rules squared away, rifle already zeroed, the works.  When he came within a eyelash of cleaning the morning Redcoat, we knew we had a good one in our midst.   :pop:

With the thoroughly experienced crew of Jacob (pennys dad) and David (BuckleNose) watching closely, we shot through the instruction and printed some right pretty groups, approaching 2 MOA in prone, 5 MOA seated, and about 10 in standing.  Outstanding, that is.  Along the way we introduced Albert to the snuggly embrace that is the Loop Sling, and got him clued in to NPOA. 

For lunch we had a nice chat under a tarp about why, exactly, Americans should come out on such a wet day for their liberty.  And if you've heard the story of the Three Strikes, you know why.  We did it and we're glad we did, and we'll do it all again real soon.

By the end of the day we got two AQT's in, and some pretty nice scores -- well into the 160's which is quite good for Saturday, and excellent being as it's the first time our newcomer had shot against the clock.  With a little practice I think he'll earn his patch easy.

So it is with gear dampened (but spirits never) that we headed home.  Next one's coming up on February 8th!  Don't miss it!  That's the scoop.  How was YOUR weekend?
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

My few pictures from the shoot.  Feel free to PM for higher resolution.

Albert gets the firehose of instruction from Jacob early, picking up the Laser Blaster for hands-on instruction in NPOA

And here with David, working on the steady hold factors for Standing

Time to hit the line.  This was his first time shooting from the seated position, but you wouldn't know it from the targets

It's AQT Time!   In the bubble for Stage IV

See you at the next one!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)