News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Orlando, FL January 10-11 2015

Started by ItsanSKS, January 12, 2015, 12:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

In the early morning hours of the second Saturday of the year, a dozen Americans gathered at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club to immerse themselves in the history and traditions of the earliest Americans. 

We were blessed with an excellent weekend to practice marksmanship and learn the story of how America became independent and free of the tyranny of King George III.  Weather varied, with temperatures in the morning dipping into the low-to-mid 50's, and then rising to a balmy 75; Sunday brought with it a small dose of liquid refreshment, in the form of a light, persistent rain that kept everything damp, yet cool.  The rain in no way dampened the spirits of the instructors or students; they were as eager to learn as the instructors were to teach, no matter the weather.   

Our students ranged in skill level from "I've shot a rifle before" to "Not my first Appleseed".  What these folks lacked in skill, they made up for in determination, persistence, and a willingness to learn.  I can safely speak for all instructors when I say that we were most pleased with the progress our students exhibited over the course of this past weekend.  While we may not have been able to award any Rifleman patches this weekend, I have no doubt that every one of our students has been bitten by the bug, and will be working diligently to improve their skills before the next Project Appleseed event. 

When energy levels started to wane on Sunday, our students were invited to become familiar with the "Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised", the venerable M1 Garand.  With ammunition provided by the generosity of past students, each of our students was offered (and heartily accepted) an opportunity to fire eight rounds of .30-06 goodness.    :--- *ping!*  Smiles were, of course, ear-to-ear. 

Seizing upon the moment, the students began offering their rifles and ammo to fellow students an instructors alike, ensuring that everyone had an opportunity to experience the differences in rifle design and implementation; with rifles varying from the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22, to AR-15 variants, a WW1-era Enfield pattern 1917, to the venerable AK-47, everyone learned a great deal, and had a ton of fun.

The instructors this weekend were:

Eric "ItsanSKS", Pete "Mr Pete", Tom "xsquidgator" & Paul "Brown Bess"

Please take a moment to share your experiences from this weekend, and any photographs you may have taken. 

Don't forget to look us up on Facebook where you can get updates and reminders for the events in Florida, as well as a daily history lesson about the people, places and events surrounding the American War for Independence!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Nero

Huzzah! 

Does this count as a 'snow bird' shoot for the SB?

A shout-out to Mr Pete, a colleague from our California days, both now having thought the better of it (CA that is).
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

vanguardist

Hello folks,

This is Manuel. I sent a message to Mr Pete explaining my sudden disappearance. I'll share it here, too. In the afternoon of the first day (Saturday), when we were almost done for the day, I was finally able to check my phone when we were storing the gear back in our cars. I realized I had an urgent message from my wife (already several hours old) saying that she had to take a kid to urgent care. And because I live almost an hour away I took off immediately without properly explaining why. Looking back, I should have done so but was worried. Turns out it wasn't a major deal but prevented us from being away from home the following day. Sadly this meant not being around for Sunday, either.

Thankfully I got a lot out of it and plan on trying again for the full two days as soon as I can, maybe even as soon as the summer--I am also thinking about returning for the practice cessions and getting more involved with the CMP and RWVA. I know for sure I did much better at the end than when I started, and want to continue improving.

I met great folks there and was disappointed I couldn't return. That said, I look forward to perhaps seeing familiar faces at the range one of these days.

xsquidgator

More pics to come, as soon as I can coax them out of the phone    :slap:

vanguardist

Sweet! How advantageous is it to go through the CMP to get good quality Garands?

Doug B

Angie and I had a great time and appreciate the excellent instruction form Eric, Pete, Tom and Paul. We will definitely attend more Appleseed events and will tell our friends.

Guntuckian

Quote from: vanguardist on January 12, 2015, 03:24:08 PM
Sweet! How advantageous is it to go through the CMP to get good quality Garands?

To put this in perspective, I ordered my Garand from the CMP in May 2013.  It arrived in July 2013.  The cost was $549.95 delivered to my door.  Comparable quality Garands at gun shows have asking prices of anywhere from $1200 to $1400.  Dealers seem to price their Garands of similar quality slightly higher, yet, from about $1300 to $1600.

The muzzle and bore gauge readings on my Garand are a very shootable 2+ and 3+, indicating many thousands of rounds of life left.

The CMP is an outstanding way to get your Garand!

--gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

vanguardist

Incredible. I think I'll join. Do I need to join both the CPM and the RWVA? Not sure I can become a life member but I can try one year at a time.

vanguardist

Do I need a special qualification or score to be able to join the CMP and/or be able to order a Garand?

Quote from: Guntuckian on January 12, 2015, 11:15:54 PM
Quote from: vanguardist on January 12, 2015, 03:24:08 PM

To put this in perspective, I ordered my Garand from the CMP in May 2013.  It arrived in July 2013.  The cost was $549.95 delivered to my door.  Comparable quality Garands at gun shows have asking prices of anywhere from $1200 to $1400.  Dealers seem to price their Garands of similar quality slightly higher, yet, from about $1300 to $1600.

The muzzle and bore gauge readings on my Garand are a very shootable 2+ and 3+, indicating many thousands of rounds of life left.

The CMP is an outstanding way to get your Garand!

--gb

Guntuckian

You have to belong to a CMP affiliated organization to order a CMP rifle..  The RWVA counts, and is $20 per year.  You can also get a one time discount at your next Appleseed shoot if you are a RWVA member, too.   So, effectively, your RWVA membership is "free" if you plan to keep working toward Rifleman or becoming an instructor, and attend another Appleseed!

No special shooting score is required!  The CMP goal is for you to learn and practice marksmanship!  The certificate from attending an Appleseed is adequate for this!

There is a bunch of paperwork to fill out to order a CMP rifle.  But, it is easy.  Once you are issued a CMP number, then you can order ammo, too, at very sweet prices!  Yes, there is a bit of a backlog, and it will take a while to get your ammo, but the prices are extremely reasonable!  They have both .22LR and .30-06 ammo, at prices much, much cheaper than Walmart!

--gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

PHenry

QuoteWhile we may not have been able to award any Rifleman patches this weekend

OK ItsanSKS - turn in that red hat.  ^-^

Seriously, the average to make Rifleman is actually four events - some take less and some take more - just ask red hat Sly223! Persistence not only makes for Riflemen - it makes for excellent citizens in a free republic. Huzaaah!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

vanguardist

Well, since I had to skip the second day I don't think I am elegible for an Appleseed certificate am I? I wonder if the CMP can use a concealed carry license as proof of being familiar with firearms? I have no idea where my NRA basics certificate ended up--it's been like a decade.

Quote from: Guntuckian on January 14, 2015, 08:21:52 AM
You have to belong to a CMP affiliated organization to order a CMP rifle..  The RWVA counts, and is $20 per year.  You can also get a one time discount at your next Appleseed shoot if you are a RWVA member, too.   So, effectively, your RWVA membership is "free" if you plan to keep working toward Rifleman or becoming an instructor, and attend another Appleseed!

No special shooting score is required!  The CMP goal is for you to learn and practice marksmanship!  The certificate from attending an Appleseed is adequate for this!

There is a bunch of paperwork to fill out to order a CMP rifle.  But, it is easy.  Once you are issued a CMP number, then you can order ammo, too, at very sweet prices!  Yes, there is a bit of a backlog, and it will take a while to get your ammo, but the prices are extremely reasonable!  They have both .22LR and .30-06 ammo, at prices much, much cheaper than Walmart!

--gb

9mm4545

A valid FL concealed carry license will suffice as proof of firearms familiarity for ordering from the CMP. Attendance at single full day Appleseed event should make you eligible for an Appleseed certificate.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

vanguardist

How can I obtain a certificate of attendance? I had to miss the last 10-15 minutes of the first day, however.

Mr Pete

Hey Sir,

I can sign off on the certificate for you.  If anybody else didn't get a certificate and wants one please just contact me.

As far as the CMP process and types of rifles - please hit me up and we can go to the range and do a show and tell (as well as a live fire demonstration!).  That goes for All-y'all.  See...I'm fitting to Florida.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

vanguardist

No need to call me sir! I'm not THAT old...yet.  &)

Yes I'd like one please.