News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

After Action Report: Charlotte Christian School

Started by ThePoet, January 08, 2015, 10:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePoet

Charlotte Christian School is a independent K-12 private school.  Each year, the high school students take part in something they call "January Term".  During J-Term, students can select from among a number of educational and enrichment activities which are held during the first week of the spring term.  There are missions/service trips to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, etc.  Cultural trips to Europe and the UK, as well as a number of local opportunities for job skills and other related activities.  (Pawzzz chose to go to Disney World to supposedly study the physics of roller coasters.   :slap: )

I was asked to teach a one-day firearms course for a group of 20 boys ranging in age from 15-18.

Carolina Sporting Arms allowed us the use of their training room as well as time on their range.  I instructed an NRA Basic Pistol Course for the 20 boys and their two teachers.  I began with an abbreviated first strike and worked in Appleseed material as appropriate throughout the day.   I gave a full introduction to Project Appleseed and invited all attendees to join us at our next event at CRPC in February. 

The boys and their teachers were very receptive.  It was refreshing to see such interest in the history and respect for honoring the sacrifices made on our behalf. 

A number of CCS faculty have expressed interest in attending as well.  I will follow up and try to get as many signed up as possible.

slim

Rayne

Out of curiosity, why was it just boys that attended this?  Were girls not interested or not allowed? 
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Nero

I think we can count this one as a Libertyseed.  Yes?  O0
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

ThePoet

The girls were smart enough to go somewhere warm. 

It was part of a week-long course on "Manhood."  On the first day they had a guest speaker from Kroger speak to them about job interview skills.  Day two they visited a custom knife maker.  Other components included a day with Zach Goodyear, winner of BBQ Pitmasters on Destination America, on how to make Carolina barbecue.  They also had a day-long Bible study on the biblical role of men.

I have had interest from a lot of parents of girls for a girls-only firearms course.  I have two girls (13 and 16) and they bring their friends to the range from time to time.  I could probably get enough girls together for their own Ladyseed.

Quote from: Rayne on January 08, 2015, 11:11:10 PM
Out of curiosity, why was it just boys that attended this?  Were girls not interested or not allowed?

ThePoet

Maybe a "Pre-Libertyseed" or "Libertyseed Light"

Quote from: Nero on January 08, 2015, 11:16:16 PM
I think we can count this one as a Libertyseed.  Yes?  O0

Rayne

Quote from: ThePoet on January 08, 2015, 11:24:32 PM

It was part of a week-long course on "Manhood."  On the first day they had a guest speaker from Kroger speak to them about job interview skills.  Day two they visited a custom knife maker.  Other components included a day with Zach Goodyear, winner of BBQ Pitmasters on Destination America, on how to make Carolina barbecue.  They also had a day-long Bible study on the biblical role of men.

I have had interest from a lot of parents of girls for a girls-only firearms course.  I have two girls (13 and 16) and they bring their friends to the range from time to time.  I could probably get enough girls together for their own Ladyseed.

Thank You for explaining.  I have no problem with boys having their own class, in fact what you explained sounded like a wonderful experience for the young men.  Having attended an all girls high school, way back when, I believe that it's important for the individual genders to have time to explore subjects without the peer pressure from the opposite gender.  Also sounded like you did a good job mixing the NRA pistol and a LibertySeed together.  Thank You for your time.   
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

ThePoet

I went to an all boys school in Philadelphia way back when.  It had its advantages in some ways.  I know what you mean.

Quote from: Rayne on January 08, 2015, 11:31:13 PM
Quote from: ThePoet on January 08, 2015, 11:24:32 PM

Thank You for explaining.  I have no problem with boys having their own class, in fact what you explained sounded like a wonderful experience for the young men.  Having attended an all girls high school, way back when, I believe that it's important for the individual genders to have time to explore subjects without the peer pressure from the opposite gender.  Also sounded like you did a good job mixing the NRA pistol and a LibertySeed together.  Thank You for your time.