News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman boot camp needs

Started by mjkten, December 18, 2014, 11:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkten

After reading the "what to bring " page I am still wondering what centerfire rifle is best suited for this event.  Are "magazine changes " under time constraints part of the course of fire?  If so,  an AR would be better than my model 700. If not,  the Remington would serve well with a better trigger and scope. Just curious. 

Moylan

The full distance AQT is generally just the same as the 25 yard AQT.  A Remington 700 will face a serious problem on an AQT, and that is the matter of adding cartridges.  However, I would encourage you to bring whatever rifle you enjoy shooting, and don't let AQT worries push you around.   :)
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

mjkten

I always like to be as well  prepared as I can.  So for my first Appleseed  I had a roll of vet wrap and some pipe insulation ready when my  cheek weld proved  too low and enough for others too. I just hate struggling with equipment issues when with some planning I can restrict the problems to the nut behind the trigger!

DEH

The AS course of fire is more easily shot using a semi auto rifle with magazines.  There are time constraints and while I have seen people shoot Rifleman scores with bolt actions, they were more advanced shooters using mil-surps and loading from strippers.
If you are using iron sights then an AR with A2 length (not necessarily barrel length) sights would be my first choice.  Followed by an M14, Garand.
If you are using optics then an M4gery is adequete.
That being said:  If all you have is a Remington 700 then you can bring it and you will at least get some experience shooting it out to 400-500 yards and get good dope on your rifle.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

mjkten

Thanks, I think I have everything I'll need. As a side note, I saw a mention of a handgun,  owb holster and 250 rounds of ammo.  Is that a different type of event?

armaborealis

Quote from: mjkten on December 19, 2014, 12:24:10 PM
Thanks, I think I have everything I'll need. As a side note, I saw a mention of a handgun,  owb holster and 250 rounds of ammo.  Is that a different type of event?

Ramseur occasionally hosts pistol-only events on a beta test basis.

All of our rifle events -- including our Rifleman Boot Camps -- are days for you to learn about your rifle without any distractions.  You will not need a pistol.  We do ask that all firearms be left in your vehicle until the morning safety briefing is complete.
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA

mjkten

Thanks for clearing that up. I really like the idea of the RBC.

jmdavis

If you are thinking of the March event at Ramseur, make sure that you have clothes for cool, wet and warm weather. Temps could go from the 20's at night to the high 60's or 70's in the day. Layers are good and goretex can be your friend (it can stop the rain and the wind while still breathing and being warm). A wool shirt never hurts either if you have one. If not some polypro long underwear will help keep you warm and dry.

Ammo needs can change, but I was always able to get by with 500 rounds of 22 and 150 of Centerfire. That gave me enough ammo for exercises and AQT's with rimfire and centerfire. There is certainly nothing wrong with more though.

In all probability you will be a rifleman and looking forward to practicing what you learned at 25 yards on the KD Range by Wednesday.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

TAZDevil

If you have them, bring extra rifles and ammo
I did the RBC at Ramseur in '08 and had cycling trouble with my Ruger 10-22
so I shot most of the 25 meter AQTs with an open sighted AR15; glad I brought enough ammo
bring what you got for the long range shooting; again if you have more than one it is fun to get your zeros with a few of them

good luck
Merry Christmas
TAZDevil
"An Englishman's home is his castle" Jason Russell

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it."  John Adams

mjkten

Quote from: jmdavis on December 22, 2014, 01:13:08 PM
If you are thinking of the March event at Ramseur, make sure that you have clothes for cool, wet and warm weather. Temps could go from the 20's at night to the high 60's or 70's in the day. Layers are good and goretex can be your friend (it can stop the rain and the wind while still breathing and being warm). A wool shirt never hurts either if you have one. If not some polypro long underwear will help keep you warm and dry.

Ammo needs can change, but I was always able to get by with 500 rounds of 22 and 150 of Centerfire. That gave me enough ammo for exercises and AQT's with rimfire and centerfire. There is certainly nothing wrong with more though.

In all probability you will be a rifleman and looking forward to practicing what you learned at 25 yards on the KD Range by Wednesday.

I have shot at least 500 rounds of 22, but will probably need 700 rounds or more of 223. Luckily a couple of shooters brought extra and are willing to sell at a decent price. I hate to be unprepared. There are still three days left.  I'll have a better after action report soon.

jmdavis

It's tuesday and you've shot 500 rounds of 22 and need 700 more of .223?

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

mjkten

Luckily I am wrong.  The round count drops once you transition to the kd side. I had expended 240 rounds of 223 on Tuesday and was led to believe that the round count rate would stay the same. Luckily again there are some very gracious people here who brought an excess amount and are willing to let me buy what I need.  Having a great time learning my elevation changes and seeing hits on targets out to 400 yards. 

mjkten

I ended up using 500 rounds of centerfire ammo in three days, two of them on the KD range. I sat out a few aqt's due to allow myself to rest, so I could have been well prepared with 700 rounds total.  Not sure if I'll shoot tomorrow as I accepted an orange hat. Had a really great time with fantastic people and will definitely recommend it to anyone who has been to an Appleseed,  or does a little homework to be prepared.

jmdavis

OK, so now the questions. Did you KD qual? Do you have your zeroes from 100-460 yards (the farthest popup if memory serves)? Do you know the width of your front sight in MOA? Can you use your front sight as a range finder (or reticle if shooting a scope). Do you know your come ups from 25m to your 300 yard or 200 yard zero? How many clicks from bottom are your zeroes for 100, 200, 300, and 400? If you are shooting a leather 1907 sling, do you know your settings for sitting and prone? Is your BSZ marked or do you know the number of clicks it is from bottom?

mjkten

Too many questions. No to the kd qual, best score 187. Not to make excuses,  but eyesight is a factor,  as is knee pain.  Shot a 246 short range. Paid attention,  took lots of notes. Figured out elevations a little too slowly for my tastes,  missed the part about going from that 25m zero to 100 yards  (minus 4 min). Ended up shooting an extra aqt before I realized my mistake. 

ThaiFighter

Quote from: mjkten on April 02, 2015, 10:25:07 PM
Too many questions. No to the kd qual, best score 187. Not to make excuses,  but eyesight is a factor,  as is knee pain.  Shot a 246 short range. Paid attention,  took lots of notes. Figured out elevations a little too slowly for my tastes,  missed the part about going from that 25m zero to 100 yards  (minus 4 min). Ended up shooting an extra aqt before I realized learned from my mistake.

fixed it!  ;)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

mjkten

Exactly!  I was frustrated until I realized that I have not done this before,  and with the instruction I had received,  was figuring it out!

mjkten

One last update.  I shot very close to 500 rounds of 22 on the first two days,  and 500 rounds of 223 for the rest of the event.  I sat out a couple of AQT'S  on the kd range due to eye fatigue.  I could have possibly gone through 700 rounds if I had taken every opportunity to pull the trigger. The things I was glad I brought - moving blanket under my shooting mat.  Elbow pads. Sunscreen. Lots of water.  Comfortable folding chair. Notepad and pen. Stapler with extra staples.  Masking tape.  Sharpie markers. Rain gear.   The round count drops once you get to the long distance range.  But next time I get to go to Ramseur,  I'll have 1000 rounds of 22 and another 1000 rounds of 223. Two mags for each caliber would be plenty.  One more thing.  I had an outstanding time! And I'll go again.