News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What Press Releases can do

Started by PHenry, December 17, 2014, 06:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

http://www.wtxl.com/news/sunrise/

Heather sent a press release. A reporter called Engineer shooting. ES showed up with a Garand in hand and handled the interview with aplomb. What did it cost the program? $0.00

Heather works hard for Appleseeds for free and she does this for a living. Imagine if we had more vols sending out press releases using her instructions (which I have and will send to any who ask)!

Imagine if there were hundreds of Appleseed vols sending press releases out to thousands of media outlets! Hmmmmm. Imagine if Appleseeds was on TV all over America? Maybe "Saturday Morning with Fred" on ABC - no, that would never work - Saturdays are for events! Would have to be a Monday eve program, giving all those thousands of shooters time to rest and reflect before they sit down to listen to Fred's wisdom and advice on improving their marksmanship.

Imagine ...................

I say three hearty Huzaaaaahs! to Heather and ES! Huzaaaah! Huzaaaaah! Huzaaaaaah!  ^:)^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

9mm4545

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Minutemom

Can I please have the press release instructions Trey?  I'm ready to get to work.  O0
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

fisherdawg

Quote from: PHenry on December 17, 2014, 06:32:03 PM
http://www.wtxl.com/news/sunrise/

Heather sent a press release. A reporter called Engineer shooting. ES showed up with a Garand in hand and handled the interview with aplomb. What did it cost the program? $0.00

Heather works hard for Appleseeds for free and she does this for a living. Imagine if we had more vols sending out press releases using her instructions (which I have and will send to any who ask)!

Imagine if there were hundreds of Appleseed vols sending press releases out to thousands of media outlets! Hmmmmm. Imagine if Appleseeds was on TV all over America? Maybe "Saturday Morning with Fred" on ABC - no, that would never work - Saturdays are for events! Would have to be a Monday eve program, giving all those thousands of shooters time to rest and reflect before they sit down to listen to Fred's wisdom and advice on improving their marksmanship.

Imagine ...................

I say three hearty Huzaaaaahs! to Heather and ES! Huzaaaah! Huzaaaaah! Huzaaaaaah!  ^:)^

Trey,  I'd appreciate a copy of Heather's instructions too.
Thanks!
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Pain Killer

Please send me a copy.

Gaspasr1@yahoo.com
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

PHenry

To All,
I may have "jumped the gun" a tad here - pun intended. Heather has just brung up an excellent point. FL is actually doing pretty well in the press release department already, thanks to Heather's tireless efforts. Evidently, there is a concern that we might get too many people doing press releases in a single state. What we need as a national program is one or two people in EACH STATE doing consistent and professional press releases to avoid confusion and overlap.

Heather is a pro at this and she knows of what she speaks. Here is what she sent me:

QuoteI do have a concern about others sending out press releases that I ask you to consider...   Any business or organization or government usually only have only a few people in charge of public relations and sending out press releases....And each person is assigned a specific area of expertise or department within the organization to handle press releases for those areas.  For example...The White House has a "Press Secretary" who is the sole person for media contact.  The county government has media relations spokespeople who handle specific areas only.... One may handle the press releases for the public works department.  Another may handle the press releases for the transportation department... etc...

The reason you want that is because you need to have one central person in charge of and responsible for all information that goes out to the media and public.  If you have too many people sending out information, then it can cause confusion.  For instance, if one person thinks that someone else is handling the advertising of a fundraiser event, but neither one is actually doing it,  the event does not get advertised at all and it hurts the organization's fundraising efforts. Also, if multiple people in an organization are sending out info to the media, it can cause confusion for the media person on who to contact if you need further info for follow-up purposes to be able to write a news article.   

I do think it is much needed for each state within Appleseed to have a sole person who will advertise events.....  Either like how I do it for the whole state of Florida....  Or it could be assigned by city.   

On the flip side... too many well-meaning chefs in the kitchen can be harmful by causing confusion for the media. 

So if anyone is asking of my instructions for any of those other states besides Florida, by all means, send them my instructions...

For Florida....I would be concerned if someone else started to try to send out press releases in Florida after I sent them out already. It could cause confusion and for the press releases to be ignored in the end. 

Think of this way...It is similar to having a shoot boss in charge at an event... only one person is the shoot boss.  Only one person can/should be the shoot boss, otherwise it would cause confusion.   But others can help in other ways for the shoot boss.

How I need help from others in Florida to advertise is this.... Have people print off flyers & the press releases and have them on hand to pass out in person to people they meet at their own gun ranges... perhaps ask the gun shops that they do business to post the flyers and press releases for customers to pick up and take home to read... post the information on gun forums.... Advertising dinner events like how Dwight has done already... etc...  this is how people could help with advertising...

I have been the beating the press release drum for two years - ever since Heather explained the concept to me. I used it to promo a RBC I ran at the home range last year. To date, I know of no other state that has been as consistent with press releases as FL has and the results are quantifiable. Hopefully for Heather, she will soon have less spare time to do press releases and may need some help, but for now, she is doing a bang-up job (and has been for two years).

I would say for now, FL is good, but her instructions would be of benefit to any other state not already doing regular press releases. I know we have some perfect promo templates and methods in the pipe that will blow away anything done to date and as soon as we get same, we will employ them. But, for now, we go with what we have, SOM SOM as always.

Many thanks for interest. For anyone not in FL, or interested in helping another state from FL (It is the world wide web yes?), send me a PM and I will reply with Heather's written instructions.
In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata