News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hubertus, WI Dec 13, 2014

Started by JoeZ, December 14, 2014, 12:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeZ

Greetings all,

The last shoot of the year (for WI) is now behind us. Another exercise in the right to peacefully assemble, the freedom to discuss politics and politicians (albeit 239 years old), and of course the right to keep and bear arms, shared by 15 active Americans, is now fondly stored away in memory. This report, as AAR's are meant to do, will help recall the trials and accomplishments of the day we spent together, steeped the liberty given to us and working hard to become that which we love, our American heritage.

I must thank God for the opportunity to serve in the capacity of Shoot Boss for this event, and for the weather given.

I thank the instructors, Reckless Rick, Sennot, for a full day of work and jrturbo and Chris Z for the time they could share. These instructor's efforts often aren't seen by the forum folks as they don't sign up or advertise that they are helping out.

I thank the shooters who came out, that is the Americans who choose to come out in a damp mid-30's weather to learn marksmanship and endure my story telling.  :) I saw a few shivering shooters here and there but this wasn't actually a Winterseed by temperature definition.

I thank the one spectator we had who brought his grandson to shoot and he stayed the day helping him and encouraging our posterity to endure and learn from all the daylight spent at a shooting range. It was dark by 4:30 because of the fog and time of year.

I should mention that the shooter's mats became soaked and were soaking into clothes. Even though I heard no complaints, we did spend some time trying to stop this. The temperature was actually too warm. Another 10 degrees lower would have been better as the snow and ice would stay frozen. I tried to remedy this same thing a few years ago with both plastic tarps and insulated concrete blankets stretched the length of the firing line with the shooters mats on top. While this does indeed insulate shooters from the wet and cold ground, plastic on ice or wet ground is slick, and shooting offhand and doing transitions (which back then where with loaded rifles) became a safety hazard. Perhaps I'll try personal sized rubber roofing sections (from Menards) next.

to all those from the shoot,
I hope to work with you again, and soon.
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

AFTERMATH

Winter thaws are the worst...  I've yet to discover a good method of keeping the firing-line hospitable.  It doesn't matter what you put down, if it keeps water out it keeps water in.  And unlike a passing rain shower it's to cold to dry it off afterwards.  Cloths stay wet and people get cold...  Probably the best method would be finding a way to keep the snow frozen. 

Anyway, I've been at plenty like these before.  It doesn't make for an easy weekend.  A particular degree of endurance, perseverance and insanity is necessary to make it through.  It's good to here at least 15 of our eastern neighbors have it in them! 

If adversity breeds character, you all have some bragging rights there!  I mean, out of ~300 million people, the fifteen of you alone had the guts to go out this weekend and lay in the slush, to improve your marksmanship skills and understanding of American Heritage, to improve yourselves. 

Congratulations and thank you to all who made it happen.  America needs more folks with this sorta gumption!
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Reckless Rick

Thanks to all the participants for sticking it out all day and then helping breakdown the range!!!Stay in touch

Thanks also to The Daniel Boone club for the range.

Joe,John,Chris and Jr turbo great to see you Thanks for everything you do
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest