News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa, CA 22-23 Nov 2014

Started by Rocket Man, November 25, 2014, 04:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

So, another year draws to a close at Burro Canyon.  We finished off 2014 with a real beauty, hosting twelve proud and accurate Americans in our little box canyon of liberty.   ;D

Saturday dawned bright and warm, and I was joined by desert denizen Bucklenose to turn the firehose of instruction on a new batch of fine folks.  We could tell, though, this was no ordinary class -- even the guy making large scope adjustments was on paper, and it didn't take long at all to get everyone cutting black.   :cool2:  We had eight of eleven qualify on the opening Redcoat, and things just got better from there.

By Saturday afternoon we had our first AQT in the bag, and while no Riflemen stood forth just yet, there were already a few scores in the "mental range" -- 185+ -- where the shooter just needs to get deeper into the Rifleman's Bubble to cross the finish line.  So with that encouragement, we took our break for the night, and wondered what Sunday would bring...

Sunday brought some mixed blessings.  On the plus side we were joined by Appleseed legends pennys_dad, instructing, and Del, back yet again as the "ringer" on the line.   >:D  Volunteers sprang forth to help us with instruction, from seasoned shooters to eager youngsters, and we moved with a purpose through the morning fine tuning drills.

Ah, but Nature is fickle.  The road of the Rifleman isn't an easy one... nothing worth doing ever is.  In the afternoon she whipped up some pretty serious winds for us, enough where making windage corrections was worthwhile even at 25 meters!  We lost the sun covers before lunch, and our line got redecorated a couple of times.  While we all scrambled to keep things safe and brush the sand out of some mighty fine rifles, we all got a little distracted, and our scores suffered some.  Them's the breaks.   !@#)

No new Riflemen this time.  But with better weather I'd bet on three or four, and with practice, who knows?  Steve led the group with a smooth 200, and with holes in the right targets he'd have cleared the bar easily.  I saw several 46+ scores on Stage 1 and nearly everyone was getting solid hits on Stage 4.  The goal is in sight, folks.  Keep at it.

As I pack stuff up and brace for Thanksgiving, I have much to be thankful for -- not least, my good friends and helpers among the Appleseed instructors, and the greater California crew.  But also the wonderful people who turn out to share their weekend with me, in the dirt, sweating and straining and suffering to make ourselves and our country better than they are.  You keep me coming back.

Next year's just around the corner.  We'll be hosting nine events at Burro Canyon, with a little bit of everything -- one day classes for those not quite ready to jump in with both feet, two days for the serious shooters in training...  I even hear tell rumors of a FULL DISTANCE KD event?  Dare we to dream?  Aye, we dare.  Until next time.   O0
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

My pictures from the shoot.  I know there were a couple others taken, feel free to post 'em up!

Saturday Morning.  David leads the group, getting acquainted with us and with firearms safety

Sunday and we engage in some Common Core Mathematics.  Oh, wait -- no, it's just IMC.  No sweat.

Michael, highly motivated, helps us with the Prone Position and Sling demonstration.  Big smile is not one of the Steady Hold Factors, but maybe it should be.

Angel and Russ work on Ball and Dummy.  Teamwork works, folks.

Sunday lunch, and our shade is gone... but the fire remains.  Dangerous Old Folks are no fair-weather patriots. 

Sunday afternoon and the whole line is in the Rifleman's Bubble.  It's beautiful.

See you all in 2015!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)