News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Baconton, GA (SWGASA Range) Nov 22-23

Started by goose, November 24, 2014, 12:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose

No. 3 for the SWGASA range!  More to come.
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

goose

The pictures posted are from Friday, range check and setup day.

Ground cover added under the canopy, some raking to smooth out the path from firing line to target line, and installing t-posts for a wire line with backers and Red Coats up for Saturday start!

Since I got busy with line duties, I forgot to pocket my phone to get "live" pics of the day, so no Saturday pics.   :slap:

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

goose

The pre-registration was a full count of 2 leading up to the weekend.  As it turned out, 2 brothers that their father signed up to attend--speaks volumes to Appleseed and the love of a father for his sons, in my opinion.

Two of the three range owners were with us on the line, and we were off to a fine start of the day with crisp temps and a breeze.

Our two students were very well equipped by their dad:  range bags, Tech Sights, mats, and the most important element:  A Teachable Attitude!

The routine admin duties and briefings taken care of, we got to the business of Red Coats and Morgan's Shingle Shot.  Our resident range owner, Dennis, cleared his target--a humble grin on his face, and compliments to Appleseed (Engineer Shooting & Lucky Lori) for his improvement.  One benefit of the visual for the brothers Andrew and Patrick was to see what is achievable with perfect practice.

Onto sling use, prone position, Steady Hold/NPOA/6 Steps to get the first "big gulp" of info presented for a foundation.  Squares targets, and teaching the fine points.  Groups became recognizable, and group sizes decreased.  The Rifles which Andrew and Patrick brought had been zeroed by their dad, and it became evident as their shot placement proved.

Dennis and Greg got lunch together with the grill and hot dogs.  I took the risk of working in all three strikes while we were at the midday break; knowing that the weather for Sunday was not promising, I wanted to cover all the bases and AQT's for Andrew and Patrick to know how the typical weekend is orchestrated.

Dennis had his own father duties scheduled, and he departed after lunch, but prior to his exit, he offered a target-sporter Ruger 10/22 to Greg.  Greg was not getting good shot placement, and he had proven himself a very capable marksman earlier, so this Tech-Sight rigged 10/22 could restore faith in his abilities.  <g>

Posting another squares target for a mag change exercise, we were back on the line.  Greg's Rifle change proved his talents--and the need to swap out his front sight for a slimmer post.  Andrew and Patrick took another gulp with the double effort of NPOA and magazine changes on 5 squares.

With the afternoon on a roll, we put up the first of 2 AQT's, and with the insight gained from the previous Rising Fawn event bossed by Rusty & Nathan to do a dry practice of transitions prior to live fire, we progressed through stage 2 & 3.  The first AQT for familiarization, the second AQT for the stopwatch.

The light of day now beginning to fade, we wrapped up the event at 5pm.  As I loaded the last of the target line hardware on the truck, the forecasted rain began promptly at 6pm.

My sincerest of "Thank You" to Greg and Dennis (Noel, too!), whose perseverance to educate Americans in marksmanship by owning a firing range and allowing Appleseed to teach, and to Andrew and Patrick for attending with enthusiasm and camaraderie!  A very special thanks to a father for signing up his sons.

One down under the green hat...hoping for an abundance of events ahead.

-goose