News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

M1/HighPower Clinic

Started by jmdavis, November 23, 2014, 12:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patent guy

I'm interested, but I'm unclear about the KD for the selected range.
Is this all done at a single distance (e.g., 100yds) with reduced centers? 
Also, where can I find yoga pants?
PG (Andy)
District of Columbia v. Heller (US 07-290, 2008)  "The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia."  McDonald v. Chicago (US 08-1521, 2010) "[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms [is] fully applicable to the states"

jmdavis

The clinic will be shot at 100 yards with Sunday being a reduced distance National Match Course.

For infomation the targets will be the SR1, SR21, and MR1 targets. Each of these has a bullseye between 5.75 and 6.38 inches in size but with the 9,10,X rings in the SR1 bull, the 8,9,10,X rings in the sr21 bull and the 7,8,9,10,X rings in the MR31 bull.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Agrivere

Quote from: jmdavis on January 20, 2015, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: navybowhunter on January 20, 2015, 09:01:28 AM
Yoga Pants, are sort of like the suggested sweat shirt under the shooting jacket.  They will help with the "pulse".

Yes, I just wrote that!

Actually, there is some truth to the idea that loose pants can help with pulse.

I wear my tactical kilt to Highpower matches from time to time.  :))
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

jmdavis

Quote from: Agrivere on January 22, 2015, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: jmdavis on January 20, 2015, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: navybowhunter on January 20, 2015, 09:01:28 AM
Yoga Pants, are sort of like the suggested sweat shirt under the shooting jacket.  They will help with the "pulse".

Yes, I just wrote that!

Actually, there is some truth to the idea that loose pants can help with pulse.

TMI, actually it is WTMI

I wear my tactical kilt to Highpower matches from time to time.  :))

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

jmdavis

Weather is looking pretty good for  next weekend. Highs in the 40's and 50's and lows in the high 20's and 30's. Several Cavalier and VFEMI members and I will be building targets on Monday to get ready for the event. We will then, use those targets over the course of the year a few at a time on the ranges. 30 will give us enough to get through the year as people shoot them up.

Isn't it funny how some people can't hit a 6 inch bull at 100 or a 13 inch at 200 but they can hit a 1.5 inch 2x4? I have never understood that.

This clinic is an opportunity to improve your shooting. It is targeted toward those interested in competitive marksmanship. But the lessons apply to rifle marksmanship in general. Alvin York believed that known distance marksmanship in competition was one of the best ways one could improve his shooting. Gunny Hathcock told me almost the same thing back in the 90's. I really wish that I had listened better and taken his advice then rather than waiting more than a decade.

Mike

Mike

navybowhunter

Thanks Mike / Jmdavis for making this a reality. Count on several MD folk arriving with an open mind.

See ya Friday evening with "The Beast".

R/
Chris

BillP_556

I'm looking forward to this training.  Yesterday, I zeroed my AR @ 100 yards at Elite shooting sports, and noticed the groups at 100 yards are much bigger than at 25 yards.  I was getting at least 1 round in the red bull, and the rest in the black.  Hopefully this class will help me decrease this group size with ball ammo.
Respectfully,

BillP_556

jmdavis

Ball ammo is not a real issue at 100 yards.  Don't worry about that. Many clean scores have been shot reduced course with ball.

FiremanBob

I really regret that I can't make it to this one.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

My work schedule just blew up in my face.  Won't be making this after all.

:wb:  :(  !@#)
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jmdavis

That's too bad. Make sure that you shoot a note to Jim Morgan to let him know.

Monkey

I did, just before posting.

Got the schedule though - would definitely like to see if I at least would enjoy service rifle competition, if I can get my life to slow down a little bit...

C'est la guerre...

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

FiremanBob

Quote from: Monkey on March 02, 2015, 08:19:48 PM
C'est la guerre...

J'espere vraiment que non - ce n'est pas la guerre.

That ain't funny these days.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

jmdavis

Quote from: Monkey on March 02, 2015, 08:19:48 PM
I did, just before posting.

Got the schedule though - would definitely like to see if I at least would enjoy service rifle competition, if I can get my life to slow down a little bit...

C'est la guerre...

It's that time of the career. It would be wild if you could put together a small command team for the fleet matches.  But I have the feeling that  amount of time is out of the question. For the past couple of years there have been some guys that came from the Bainbridge. I know they were there in 13, I think they were there in 14 as well.

Mike

W.E.G.

Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:46 PM
Subject: Service Rifle Clinic

Hey Shooters,

Well, the forecasters can not make up their minds for the  weather in this area for the weekend.  Instead of the 60 degree today and 40s - 50s this weekend this weekend, NOW they want 8 inches of snow.  Our best (heaviest) snows come from the southwest and it looks like the front building in the Gulf will be turning northeast by tomorrow.  If the forecasters are anywhere close we will have 5 - 8 inches.  This will not present any problems traveling on the primary roads; !-95 - etc..  However, the odds are that the secondary roads will still be difficult come Saturday morning.  Add to that, the road into the range (1 mileish) will not be cleared for general vehicles.

I know, my preference would be for clear weather but that is not the case.  We are canceling the clinic for March 7/8 due to predicted weather conditions. We will reschedule the clinic for August time frame; possibility the second or third weekend -- depending on Cavalier's schedule.  I will keep all of your information and send an email when the dates are approved. Thank you for your interest and am looking forward to making this happen.

jim morgan

Monkey

Quick Bump - August isn't too far around the corner, and my dance card is starting to get full.

Has a date been locked down for this yet?

― Hyman G. Rickover

navybowhunter

Not for nothing, I could use all the help I could get prior to Camp Perry

The Wolfhound

The option had been set for the third weekend of the month since Range 1 is usually available.  Appleseed has already got August, September and October.  Holding your breath might be a tad hazardous.  I do hope it gets rescheduled, though.

jmdavis

I will speak to Jim and see what is happening. Right now the team is very focused on the Infantry trophy team match and the national trophy team match at camp perry.

The second weekend in sept might be a possibility for this falls.

Davebrau

Can you add me to the contact list for the Hi-Power clinic.
I'm in central NC but would like to come up to VA when you
settle on dates.
Dave

jmdavis

Dave,

The revised info will be posted here and on other similar sites when it is available. There really isn't a contact list at this point.

Mike Davis

Davebrau

Mike,
Ok
I'll keep an eye on this thread
Thx
Dave

jmdavis

We are in the process of rescheduling the High Power Clinic and Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club. The dates being considered are Oct 24-25 (the weekend after the Appleseed at the same location). Instructors will include shooters and coaches from the 2014 National Infantry Team Trophy team fielded by Virginia Firearms Education and Marksmanship Instruction's Virginia Rifle Team.

Stand by for more information as dates are finalized.

Mike Davis

Monkey

Bump - still tracking for Oct 24-25?

― Hyman G. Rickover

jmdavis

No joy this year. Cavalier is unable to schedule Range 1 due to the construction on the dams that makes range 5 unavailable mon-fri. There is also construction and range closures at Rivana this fall. So the new date will be spring 2016 keep your fingers crossed for no snow in March.