News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC KD Event, Nov 15/16 2014

Started by Fred, November 17, 2014, 06:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Saturday dawned clear and cold, as 12 shooters - 8 of them instructors "on holiday" ( :) ) - showed up to take on the full-distance AQT.

We did the normal safety briefing, wherein it was ascertained that our 4 "civilians" were all Appleseeders as well,  before starting with a Redcoat target at 25 meters.

We fired the Redcoat for four reasons: So we could ensure everyone had a good 25M zero; to assess skill levels; so the shooters could see what they can do; and as a tip'o the hat respect to the Tradition of the Rifleman Heritage.

From there up to the 500-yard Range 1, where we put up four full AQT silhouettes for each shooter.

Then began the standard KD intro:

"We tell you some things down at the 25m range. Up here, you get to see for yourself that what we tell you is true - and that it works.

"First, we tell you that a good 25m zero is a good 200 yard zero (iron-sighted standard rifles) or 300 zero (scopes and AR-15-style rifles).

"Second, we tell you that 'what you do at 25 is what you will do at X yards' - so if you can do 4 MOA at 25, you will do 4 MOA at 200 yards, and 300 yards, and...

"Before we start, who can tell me the Three Challenges Faced by the Rifleman?

Then it's into the Rifleman's Trajectory, the Rifleman's Dance, some IMC for the different distances which allows you to review "the Rifleman Standard" and again explain how it came about. Certainly, you tell the "corporal with the 30-rd mag" story, because it points out so well the difference between a marksman and a rifleman. And the value of the Rifleman's Dance.  And the value of "calling the shot".

Some TPI review of the Six Steps and NOPA (emphasizing via the "Fred at 300" story how NPOA is the difference between a hit - and a miss).

Lastly (as it should be) comes the standard admonitions:

"You will fire a 5-rd sighter group.

"You will keep your sights set for 25M.

"You will keep your same sight pic as at 25.

"You will fire every shot like it's a sighter shot. ("A rifleman fires every shot like it's a sighter shot" - they should have heard this more than once on Sat)

"You will do the best job you can, calling each and every shot."

We gave our shooters the choice of firing their sighters at 200 or 300, first letting them figure out 1) what the size of their group should be, to meet the Rifleman Standard and 2) where on the target (either 200 or 300) the center of their group should fall (Example: At 300, with standard iron sights and a 25M zero, the group will fall 3MOA, or 9 inches, low.)

Thank heavens we had James, the teenager on site, so if anyone had questions, we'd be able to get answers (all teenagers on Fred's line are all deemed to know all the answers!). James had the treat of being grilled on some pretty tough IMC exercises, but bore up surprisingly well.

Whew! After all that, our shooters were glad to actually get on the line, and get some "trigger time"!

First was the 5-round sighter group - then another - followed by a much-needed (always!) Ball and Dummy drill wherein some FBJs (Flinches, Bucks and Jerks) were flushed out and discarded, however temporarily.

Then came three successive full-distance AQTs, followed, at the end of the day, by an extra 4th stage at 400 yards.

Instructor dreamerofdreams was the first to turn in a rifleman score.

At lunch on Sat, we had a real treat: A full, "3-strikes-style" presentation of the "Spirit of '76", which carries a message which those of us who see what interesting times we live in need to hear, and take to heart. The image of Washington leading the attack wave as it emerged from falling snow flurries at Trenton; a magnificent victory by men with no shoes and rags for clothes; the desperation which resulted in "the rolling of the dice" which was Trenton and Princeton - it's enough to fill your heart with pride, steel your determination, and cause regret that so many Americans are so totally ignorant of it all.

Thank you, armoborealis and dreamerofdreams for an outstanding job of presentation. Thank you!

Sunday we came back at 1PM (after church hours) for another sighter group, another B/D drill (revealing some returned FBJs!) and then two more full-distance AQTs, followed (too) late in the day, when it was almost dark, with a fun 3-man team move and fire event improvised against the paper AQTs rather than the usual popups.

New IIT Cousin Hart turned in the first rifleman score for Sunday. She fired a group at 200 you could cover with the palm of your hand - and one at 300 not much bigger! Congrats!

Not to be outdone, our only male Rifleman fired a sizzling score in the 230s. James "Not The Teenager James" kept to the grindstone, making steady progress thruout Sat and Sunday, and finally went over the top - was it on the last AQT of Sunday?

There were the usual issues of scopes working loose, firing on wrong targets, etc - but I believe everyone had a fun weekend and learned to shoot better.

Plus, we likely have one or two thinking about becoming instructors - the ultimate goal!

Thanks all, and especial thanks to Kardiak Kid for both shooting and helping out with the event!

Now, as you can tell, I tend to focus on the "running of the event" - and so I would like to hear from you troops on the firing line what your personal experience was, and how we can improve this event.

And, I'd like to point out, in honor of our navy MD crew who came to the last event that, there being no pickup available, we walked all weekend, with nary a complaint! ;D ;D ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Thaddeus

A great weekend of shooting, and the rainy weather did not arrive as earlier forecast.

One thing we need to remember for these longer range events is to take enough black and white target pasters downrange every time. I found some black masking tape on Amazon that we're going to try next time - if it works it would be a much less expensive option than using pasters for these shoots.

Attached is a picture of our newest rifleman!

Nero

Quote from: Thaddeus on November 17, 2014, 09:02:04 PM
I found some black masking tape on Amazon that we're going to try next time - if it works it would be a much less expensive option than using pasters for these shoots.

I've used masking tape for repairs before with good success.  Also tried the colored dots used on office folders, etc. as pasters. Those fell right off the targets when it got warm.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

jmdavis

The 1000 roll of pasters lasts a long time and is less than 2x the 250 roll. Champions Choice has the 1k roll of 3/4" round pasters for $5 in either black or buff, These work pretty well. I wouldn't place an order just for them, but whan I place an order I get some. As pasters age they lose some of their adhesive properties. With the KD targets at Ramseur you want good pasters because they have to last as long as possible. Masking tape might or might now work.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

dreamerofdreams

Well done, everyone!   ^:)^

It was great to see some familiar faces, put faces to some familiar forum names, and meet some more amazing Americans!  Thank you all for a wonderful weekend and last Appleseed for Armaborealis and myself before we move out west!

Toy, sorry the baby is afraid of your shiny head!   ;D
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."