News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA event Nov 15-16 2014

Started by Roswell, November 17, 2014, 05:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roswell

The Project Appleseed Event in Macon, GA on November 15-16, 2014 at Marion Road Gun Club was epic! A whopping 27 students turned out to hear the story of April 19th, 1775 and learn marksmanship! MRGC was of course gracious as always and a pleasure to work at.

Saturday began, COLD (the breeze made 31 degrees feel like 25), but the shooters were not deterred. All 21 showed up along with 6 walk ons. Being that this was Georgia and deer season as well, this instructor was amazed and ecstatic. Clearly despite the cold the fires of Liberty were burning hot.  After Introductions and safety briefings, the Redcoats were engaged.  Then the fire hose of instruction was cut on with Sling use and the prone position as the day really got under way. NPOA, Carding of the Sights, Six Steps, Talking Targets and IMC (oh my!). :P

By the time lunch rolled around, everyone was ready for it. Due to the cold, instead of gathering underneath the shelter as per usual, we opted to for a loose semi-circle in the sun. There we listened to beautiful and passionate tellings of the First and Second Strikes of the match.

Soon it was time to get back to the line and back to work with more instruction and implementation. We moved into Sitting position and then into Standing. Next we took a mid-afternoon break to hear a riveting and inspirational telling of the Third Strike of the match.

With that inspiration in our minds it was time for an AQT! Stage 2 brought the introduction of transitions, which after some instruction, the shooters performed admirably.  Soon after, some of the younger students had to leave early so, we performed the presentation of the Luther Blanchard patches to 9 young patriots. Yes, 9!  Huzzah to you, our future and a hearty thank you as well.

To close the day we engaged another Redcoat target and scores were totaled from the AQT. The single AQT saw not 1, not 2, but 3 new Riflemen emerge! Huzzah to Danny M. for a 211, John C. with 221 and Frank M. with 239!  :bow: The day was finished off with the story of Timothy Murphy and how one man can make a difference. Thank you to all the shooters that stayed to help tidy up.

Sunday, began not quite as cold as the day before. We huddled together to hear the tale of 1776 before rolling into the morning safety review.  We then shot a Redcoat target and again, we were off to a running start. 

By mid-morning we were pretty well caught up with review and took a moment to hydrate and rest while DrJohn regaled us with the Philosophy of Liberty from quotes by our founding fathers. This was very well received I might add. Not only did the students come with a teachable attitude, but an ear for Liberty as well.

With a quick review on the 6 steps of firing the shot we went into the first AQT of the day. Next, it was time for lunch and some stories about Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women and Gallant Children. With our appetites satisfied, we went back to work.

We began again with a magazine change/NPOA/shifting drill of 2 mags with 4 each. NPOA drill, shoot a corner square, mag change and shift, NPOA drill, shoot a corner square and so on until the shooters circled the four corners twice. Next,  followed a simple mag change drill on the center square. Then those groups were examined with a review of Talking Targets followed by IMC. Next, it was back to the AQTs!

We had another presentation break before a few shooters left as we saw not 1, but 2 men who knew very well what they are about take up Orange Hats and join the instructor cadre. Welcome to "Senior Chief" and "Two Mikes"! Huzzah!  ..:..  While we were at it we were also able to recognize another Rifleman, Bambi F. shot a 210!  Huzzah!  O0 She was then anointed in actual water from beneath the North Bridge.  ;D

After that, we moved on to talk about full distance shooting and the Rifleman's quarter mile. With that information, we moved the vehicles and reset the range to show that works at 25 meters also works at 100yards. The shooters then took turns hitting steel targets to the elation of all with pings that sounded like church bells to this Instructor.

I know all of you shooters have what it takes to make Rifleman. Remember that, perfect practice makes perfect and continue to dry fire. I hope to see each of you again on the trail. And don't forget to bring a friend or two or three or four or ...

Pictures to come...
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

CricketMaster

Huzzah! ^:)^

Wow!This appleseed was exciting! ..:..

freedomzxcv

My favorite moment of the entire weekend was witnessing two of our younger shooters, Dre and Daniel, hit a 4" steel gong 100 yards away. Daniel accomplished the feat with iron sights. Their marksmanship added the exclamation point to Roswell's KD presentation in a way that words couldn't.

This being my second event, not knowing what to expect, I was shocked by some of the improvement I saw. The two mentioned above had AQTs with sharpshooter scores. Bambi made rifleman with rifle that was loose in the stock and without a sling at her second Appleseed. Danny persisted and earned his patch. The entire right side of the line made improvement and left knowing they can make it with some practice and determination. I would like to thank Senior Chief and Two Mikes for setting an excellent example for the other shooters, almost always the last to fire and last to finish. They will make terrific instructors.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Baxtereyes

This was my first Appleseed along with my two sons. It will not be our last. The spirit was great as well as the instruction. We learned a lot and look forward to practicing what was taught and returning. I really appreciated the posotive attitudes of the instructors and other participants. The weather was cold but the spirit was warm.

Thanks to all!

Roswell

SATURDAY:

We had a long and beautiful line. It was great seeing so many patriots in one spot.  ^:)^  :---

IMC and Talking Targets at the target line by Guardian

Guardian reminds you to check your NPOA! (brianf31 modeling and freedomzxcv assisting)

Guardian telling Strike 3

Standing position modeled by freedomzxcv and instructed by brianf31

Transition to Seated modeled by freedomzxcv and instructed by DrJohn

I apologize for not getting any pictures of the Luther Blanchard patch presentation or the presentation of the 3 Rifleman patches. I asked Guardian to take some but forgot to give him my phone. I believe he did take some with his though (hopefully).

SUNDAY:

the line from behind all the equipment

Another full line (freedomzxcv observing Two Mikes)

DrJohn telling about David Lamson, the ammo wagons and Mother Batherick

Senior Chief and Two Mikes grabbing a bucket and taking a hat

freedomzxcv presenting Bambi F. with her patch

Bambi F. being anointed in the waters of the North Bridge

The firing line at the 100 yard range prior to ringing steel. (Sorry the sun and distance wouldn't let my pics of the steel show up)

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

Guardian

Brianf31 giving us the 1st Strike:

Brianf31 and Freedomzxcv teaching us how to get into the sitting/kneeling positions:

Our illustrious Shoot Boss and Luther Blanchard Awardees:

Congrats to Danny!

Congrats to John!

Congrats to Frank!

Roswell giving us a benediction:

A few flags worth remembering.

Guardian

Thanks to all the shooters for coming out and participating. This is the largest group I've seen at MRGC. It was an honor to serve you.

I didn't get to work with everyone on the line, but I saw a dramatic improvement on the right side of the line. I understand the left side saw similar improvement. I hope each of you enjoy your journey to becoming a Rifleman and I look forward to seeing you again. Please remember to bring your friends and their friends to the next one!

Reno

I always want to see Appleseed grow at Marion Road Gun Club and now we have several members as volunteers and riflemen. Thanks to all the volunteers that make this event happen.
Congrats to Danny especially because I've seen his improvement.

Even though I couldn't make it out to the event thanks for letting me shoot on the KD.
Robert

brianf31

It was great to work with such eager shooters interested in learning and applying new skills. The smiles on your faces that come with shrinking shot groups is reward enough!

Remember to practice perfectly and dry fire often. Review here:

https://becomingriflemen.wordpress.com/

Many thanks to Marion Road Gun Club for the wonderful hospitality. The club was a gracious host, as always. 
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Roswell

Glad you enjoyed it CricketMaster!

I agree, freedomzxcv. It was fun to watch those two youngsters hit that 4 MOA disc and confirm they were indeed 4 MOA shooters and that what works at 25m indeed works further out too.

Baxtereyes, thank you so much for the kind words. And thank you even more for bringing your boys. It warms my heart and makes me feel optimistic about the future when I see families on the line. All three of you have what it takes to get that patch and I have no doubt that you will. A Rifleman persists!

Guardian, thank you for all the photos. I'm used to being behind the camera rather than in front of it. However, my duties wouldn't always allow that. You came through as always.

Reno, you are always welcome on our line sir! It was great seeing you again and even better watching you bang steel with that mauser at 100 yards standing.  :bow: 

brianf31 is right. Practice perfectly and dry fire often. A Rifleman persists!  :---

Frank_Mose

I just wanted to say that I had a great time this weekend. I can't imagine a better group of instructors, lecturers and participants. Thanks for your time and dedication.  And, I will continue to recommend Appleseed to my family and friends.
Frank M.

MC

It was great weekend! Busy week for me, so forgive me for posting so late. It was very uplifiting to see such a large group on a cold morning. This was my 5th Appleseed event and I enjoyed it just as much as the first. The telling of the three strikes never gets old to me!! I look forward to many more events in the future, so much so that I decided to embark on the path to becoming an instructor. Thank you all for motivating me to actively participate in Appleseed. Hope to see everyone soon!
"If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves." -Howard Zinn