News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manhattan NOVEMBER 15

Started by kDan, November 17, 2014, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kDan

We're back!  And yes, that's Manhattan in New York City, not Manhattan in...  I don't know is there another Manhattan?  Of course not!

Six people signed up and six people showed up!  This was about the most experienced crowd we've ever hosted at this range.  Everybody was a shooter.  Nobody asked me the difference between a rifle and a handgun, and everybody knew where the muzzle was.  Heck nobody missed the paper once, and Daryle even taught me a few things. 

It's like I always say, If you are sure of yourself, you're overlooking something.  And New York City's shooters are often overlooked.  Okay, so we had shooters from both New Jersey and Long Island, but we also had Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan representin in the shadow of the Empire State Building, off 5th Avenue in the nightclub part of town.  It's a great date.  Do some shopping, hear some history, shoot some targets, then dubstep til the sun rises over the Pepsi sign!

No high heels tonight, but we did have two ladies, and a NYC pistol permit holder.  YES, you can get a pistol permit in NYC! 

Our Plan of Instruction is modified.  We basically run a trigger clinic, but that's the most important thing anyway, so...  "SQUEEZE!....   RESET!....  SQUEEZE!....  RESET!....  SQUEEZE!....  SQUEEZE!..."  "BANG!!!!"  "WHO WAS THAT!   WE CAN DO THIS ALL NIGHT!"

It's been about six month since I called the line and kDan almost forgot how much he loves to yell.  I started to lose my voice about halfway through, but changed to yoga breathing and let my chords relax and I was shaking the walls.  Some day I'm gonna cave that place in.  In Times Square  everybody looking around like, 'what the heck is a preparation period?'

Anyway, some pics:

Jessica masters "Table Top Prone".  Just check out that hip-weld.

Why is everybody always smiling at an Appleseed?  Jay can explain.

Nice groups Dan!  We have a term for that in Appleseed.  We call it "Excellent Instruction."

Laura, our Fashionista, takes home the "Shoot-em-up Shirt"  After all, it's the new black.

Appleseed in Da Hizzy!  whiggy WHAAAT?

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Messer

I know NYC is considered a "Fast paced" place - but how did you get to Dec. 15th so soon?

From an escaped NY'er - good shooting!

Bob S.
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

kDan

Quote from: Messer on November 17, 2014, 02:02:44 PM
I know NYC is considered a "Fast paced" place - but how did you get to Dec. 15th so soon?

From an escaped NY'er - good shooting!

Bob S.

HAHA!...  oops.  I guess I'm just looking forward to the next event, even though that will be december 13... 

Thanks Bob!

I will change the heading...
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Danofre

Pretty awesome day. I would agree with the "excellent instruction". I am surprised at how much everyone improved. It was a lot of fun. ^ is the right size group and we had a great group and great instructor. Looking forward to additional outings.

malabar

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

kDan

The range is at 20 West 20th St between 5th and 6th Avenues, a block and a half from the flat-iron building.  It's in the basement of an office building underneath a "gentleman's club" across the street from the infamous "Limelight".  The firing range scene from "Taxi Driver" was filmed there, and I don't think they've changed the target frames since.  Has a bit of the feel of an old speakeasy, and the plumbing too.

Thanks for checking in Dan.  Truth is you guys were all pretty good starting out.  Made my job easy, but it was still a lot of fun.  Hopefully some of you can make it out to 'merica, to a more traditional Appleseed and get into the dirt, shoot some distance, eat some hot dogs and hear the whole story.  There's nothing better and no better people.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

I forgot to mention that one of our shooters, Steve, had been to a full-on two-day Appleseed before up in Connecticut with Capt Mac as the Shoot Boss.  Coincidentally, Capt Mac is the only out of state insructor (if Greenwich, Ct is truly out of state) to have ever helped with a Manhattan event.

I'd be curious to hear how Steve thought the two events compared.  I think he's the only person to ever do both... 

Hmm.  How do we get Steve to post?  I'm closing my eyes and rubbing my temples....  concentrate...  concentrate...
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout