News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek, OR Nov 15 & 16

Started by Kimber Custom, November 13, 2014, 03:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

Our weekend is almost upon us. Will it be winterseed conditions? Stay tuned.

Kimber Custom

10 brave souls stepped onto the frigid firing line. 6 instructors answered the call of the muster drum. Temps weren't unbearable but it was quite gusty winds. John persevered to shoot adaptiveseed 210 - huzzah!

Everyone had very teachable attitudes and benefited from the instruction. Only 3 had qualified on our morning red coat and nobody at 400. 7 out of 9 qualified on the PM redcoat.

Here's a few pictures from today - looking forward to tomorrow.

George Hacker

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Excellent improvement in everyone's marksmanship.

Huzzah for the new rifleman! O0
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Kimber Custom

This shoot is in my top 5 all time favorites. The enthusiasm of the shooters to the quality of the instructors - this event was top notch. All shooters qualified on the final red coat. Forged several new riflemen. Seeds of liberty were planted. This was a fantastic way to end 2014 in Eagle Creek. 2015 events are already posted including a KD clinic in March. I hope to see you all on the line again next year. Special thanks to Earl and Fixer for making the drive down from Tacoma.

Flipper

I had an awesome weekend  ;D the shooters did an excellent job everyone was ready to learn. We had lots of first time shooters but they improved dramatically this weekend to where we had everyone qualify on Sunday afternoon red coat  ^:)^ The weather was burr cold but we all persevered threw it. I loved this weekend working with an awesome group of shooters and we cant forget the instructors. It was awesome to see everyone shoot the brown brass cant miss out on that.
I took like 40 photos but Kimber has already posted them so enjoy. Here is one pic of Saturdays sunrise and another that I like  ;) it turned out a little blurry but oh well.

Thanks
Flipper

Kimber and me when everyone had left another shoot done  ..:..

Earl

Wake up at four in the morning, shave, dress, make coffee, have breakfast and pack up rifle and gear and head off to pick up Fixer at his home by five (okay, I am fifteen minutes early, can you say eager Earl?). Drive safely through the night into day break, don't I love driving into the Sunshine? Yes! better than freezing rain. Arrive about eight Oregon time.

Have a wonderful Appleseed (aren't they all), with the best of folks (those that showed up for good reason), and words will never express (for Fred would cut me off for using too many to remember).

I had nothing to do, no assigned tasks, no responsibilities and could take all the pictures I wanted - until the battery ran out on  my camera, sigh! :-[   Luckily, there were a few things I could do well, like watch trigger fingers, assist with 1907 leather slinging, smile more, and laugh a bit, and bask in the Sunshine warmth.

Being the OCD type, I had one opportunity to be the hero of the moment and find the fallen flint, so Ben could continue to have the hands-on firing a Brown Bess replica. Those holes are way bigger than the .22 LR ones in the targets. Great moments in my life.

Thank you John the left-hander, you have really found the secret of Rifleman's Cadence a bit more dry practice and daily (5X per week) getting into each sitting position and a bit of yoga, and you will earn that patch many times in the future.

Aubrey, you came a long way and in only two days, I do hope you continue to practice marksmanship and bring your friends along, you have all the makings of a Rifleman.

Katie, we didn't get to work the entire weekend, but you have a great accepting attitude and meet challenges well, practice getting into and out of positions, until you own the six steps, NPOA and Steady Hold Factors. You are going to be a great shooter when you have everything together.

Dawn, thanks for being one of the adventurous ladies. And for showing me a hang fire (still in my mind unexplained). You handled all the rifle's tomfoolery well - do a few more Appleseeds in a bit better weather after a winter's dry practice with friends.

Michelle, congrats on the Rifleman patch and extra good followup proof.  You had a great safe cross over rifle.

Ron, nice to meet you, all the potential in the world and a great humble attitude and willingness to accept the challenge, thanks for shooting and I do hope to work with you again on the trail.

Okay, Blue patch, you are going to be fine, more practice more Appleseeding and for sure tell your friends what a fine time you had and bring a few along next time.

Matthew, you are going to be someone to look up to for a long time, you really have all the knowledge and that cool patience to make the shot when it is right and you aren't rolling on hot brass. Keep up the study and get yourself a rifle, we all have opinions but it has to fit you and your style. The man with only one rifle is one to watch out for, since he can't get confused.

John, made Rifleman score both days and you overcame many of the things you worried over until it happened, sounds like perseverance to me - I am sure a solid trait in a Rifleman.

Matt, don't you know I love to show everyone my skill with the 1907 sling, glad I could quickly get you into it, I recommend Leather Sling and Shooting positions by M/SGT James R. Owens USMC (Ret.), I have a copy you could look at if you don't find it, nice that you earned a Rifleman score and patch, I believe. Three new Riflemen of ten shooters is a fine Appleseed Weekend - Huzzah, Huzzah, Huzzah!!! ^:)^

What I wrote on my blog about it: http://earl-earlsview.blogspot.com/2014/11/another-great-appleseed-weekend-six.html  O0

... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Fixer

I'm very glad to have taken up the opportunity to head down to Eagle Creek and Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.  We had an especially invigorating crop of shooters who braved temperatures at or below the low 40's in order demonstrate their positive attitudes, willingness to learn, and absolutely infectious enthusiasm (with a dash of healthy competition for seasoning).

From the left of the Firing Line:

John:  I admire and appreciate your willingness to "drink from the firehose" and accept the instruction.  You had a fantastic attitude and your willingness to learn resulted in a marked improvement in a very short time.  As Earl suggested, some dry practice will take you a long way.  One round from Rifleman is a powerful motivator, I expect we'll see you on the line again soon.

Aubrey: Your perseverance was to be commended.  Coming in with zero experience can be a daunting challenge but you rose to the occasion and then some. I hope you display your targets proudly.

Katie: I enjoyed your banter and quick wit.  It was unfortunate you had to leave early on Saturday but I think you made up for lost time on Sunday.  You also showed impressive improvement over the weekend.  I suspect we'll see you on the line again.

Dawn: Another source of positivity and cheerfulness.  It was great fun to see you all smiles and laughs and flip the switch to "game face" when you got on the line. You'd be a welcome addition at any shoot, even without the generous donation of pastries.  ;D

Michelle: On day one there was an obvious application of the fundamentals and you were shooting very well.  Clearly something "clicked" overnight and you came back on an absolute tear.  Shooting Rifleman and immediately backing it up with an even better score was a great accomplishment.  You definitely earned it.

Ron: It was great having you on the line.  It was likewise a pleasure meeting and talking with you after the shoot.  I know a certain Red Hat that could help you reach the next level, if you'll let her  ~~:)

A:  I know we had a bit of trouble selecting a rifle to suit you and I appreciate your willingness to stick it out and continue to apply the fundamentals.  Even more, thank you for your positive feedback and words of appreciation and encouragement.  They did not go unnoticed.

Matthew:  When you get your rifle out of cable-lock purgatory and you've had a chance at some dry practice I'm sure we'll see great things from you.  Thank you for always having a smile even in some adverse circumstances.

John:  Persistence and practice do pay dividends!  It was good to have you on the line and being an example for others.

Matt:  You said you'd been waiting to earn your patch for a long time, I was glad to be there for it.  Thank you greatly for your kind words of thanks and encouragement.  Perhaps we'll meet again at the KD in March.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better group of shooters or a finer group of people to spend the weekend with while enjoying our Heritage and History.  Congratulations to all, it takes a big step to get off the couch and show up and I appreciate all of you for that more than anything.

Fixer

PICTURES!!!

Under Earl's watchful eye.

Dawn and Michelle working the fundamentals.

Katie and Dawn

Aubrey

Whit and Earl coach the line

Matthew practices acquiring NPOA

janer

Everybody has said it all, but I will just add my agreement that you were a great group of shooters to work with.  I hope to see you all at a future event.  Thanks, Dawn for the goodies.

And thank you Ben for supplying the hot drinks and to you and Whit for bringing  the heaters.  It was nice to have a chance to warm up a little when the temps got a bit err....invigorating.

TheSquirrelPatrol

Sounds (and looks) like a great event!  I was bummed that my schedule wouldn't let me make it out to assist with the instruction, I'm glad to hear that others stepped up to fill the gap.  It's great to hear that Jon finally put it all together and got his patch, I look forward to seeing you continue to improve in the future!

AmbulanceDriver

I'm there with TSP.....  Wish I could have made this event, sadly work Saturday and my daughter's dedication on Sunday both prevented my being there....   

But I do have to ask the Shoot Boss a question....  That redcoat target with all the big holes......   Will Fred let us implement a .54 caliber rule?   :D

George Hacker

Quote from: AmbulanceDriver on November 17, 2014, 06:24:33 PM
But I do have to ask the Shoot Boss a question....  That redcoat target with all the big holes......   Will Fred let us implement a .54 caliber rule?   :D

Don't you mean a .75 caliber rule? I suspect those holes were made by a Brown Bess musket.

Glad to see that you all had a wonderful event in Eagle Creek. O0
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

JohnD

Will after 5 tries I finally achieved Rifleman. At 210 I was at risk for water over the head on a cold Saturday but redeemed myself on Sunday with a 220 & 222. I still need to be more consistent (think NPOA) and I signed up for all the DRRC Appleseeds in 2015. Many thanks to Ben for his support over the past year and the great instructors who helped me along the way. I can't say enough how great the Appleseed Program is!!! Someday I hope to get solid enough in my shooting skills to become an instructor.  Until then I'll keep on, keeping on. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas--
See you at Jan Appleseed😃

whit

Huzzah to the new Rifleman.  I couldn't be more proud and honored to present a patch to my wife Michelle.  She proved it wasn't luck or coincidence by shooting three AQTs 220, 227 and 230.

John, thank you for demonstrating a fine example of persistence.  Congratulations on earning your patch.  I'm glad you too proved it wasn't a fluke again on Sunday.  You also avoided baptism.....a wise choice on such a cold day.

I agree with all the other comments.  Despite the cold, the enthusiasm was high and the teachable attitudes abounded.

I look forward to seeing these shooters on the line again very soon.  It was an epic end to the 2014 season.

Whit

AmbulanceDriver

Quote from: George Hacker on November 17, 2014, 06:33:53 PM

Don't you mean a .75 caliber rule? I suspect those holes were made by a Brown Bess musket.

*sigh* That's what I meant....   That's what I get for posting before actually engaging my brain.  :slap:

Matt Brown

I can't say how proud I am of earning my rifleman's patch. I have been wanting to do this since I heard of Appleseed probably two years ago, but friends wouldn't join in and family needed me.

Thank you to all the red hats, orange hats, the green hat and the range people. This was absolutely the best instruction I could ever have.

Also Matthew, John and A, my neighbors on the firing line. Thanks for being patient with me having the loud gun. I just couldn't make it with the .22 I had the first day.

My new job now is to get other people to go and to get my son out there.
Beaverton, Oregon

msmichelle

What a fabulous weekend!  This was my second Appleseed shoot (my last one 2.5 years ago) so I felt like I was starting over again.  The instructors were phenomenal, never once making a newbie feel uncomfortable, or even worse, incompetent.  I loved the history of Appleseed.  The instructors tell each piece of history with such vigor and passion, that is absolutely captivating.  I encourage everyone to get more people exposed to Appleseed, we need to spread the word.  It's fun.  It's educational.  Did I mention fun?  Those of there at Eagle Creek know how fun it can be!  Plus....if you are lucky, you may have Dawn there to bring pastries  ::)

Congratulations to all the shooters!  It feels good to have a Rifleman's patch.  It's sits proudly on my bedside table.  I look at it daily!  I'll be back to another Appleseed shoot....hopefully with my 19 year old daughter and 17 year old son. 

Lastly, thank you Whit for your patient instruction and your post :)  I appreciate your gentle persuasion for me to practice slinging up on the living room floor!

I can't say enough about the Appleseed program.  IT ROCKS.

Kimber Custom

Quote from: George Hacker on November 17, 2014, 06:33:53 PM

Well if you really want to split hairs - the actual ball is .69 cal shot out of a .75 cal barrel.

I love to pics Flipper got of the fire balls - awesome  O0

I know there were more pictures taken - Matt's rifleman patch isn't here and that group photo we did at the end. Somebody is holding out.

MsMichelle, you know the next step in an orange hat is a forum name right  @)

Flipper

Matt I have ur Rifleman picture I will post it when I get home from school and yes a group photo was taken I asked Alex to take one with my phone but I don't think he did it right so Dawn has the photo.

Flipper

Ok here it is sorry its a little blurry the score was a 214 congrats Matt  O0

Earl

I really do want to thank Matt Brown for bringing a California compliant AR with the SPECIAL magazine release button. I had no idea how really bad the political system, education system and engineering systems had gotten in California -- but they have no more worries about rapid reload by bad guys... they sleep better at night, knowing all the AR platforms in the military units and drug cartels and leftover gangs are not following fool guidance. Not following it at all. But then we won a Revolution without that button or rapid reload, didn't we?
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Matt Brown

I'm with you Earl. Bullet Buttons suck, but my legal right (as opposed to clear constitutional right...) to own guns is important so I didn't want to get in trouble with some conviction that would bar me from owning.

California has onerous laws as you know, but governor Brown doesn't sign the really horrific ones, he is a gun owner and does respond to pressure from us to a degree. When he is gone, with an absolute majority in the state legislature, the gun banners are going to have a field day. Long term, there is no hope of being a gun owner in California without an intervention by the Supreme Court.

I have the correct magazine release here and will put it on. I have a few lowers and swapped this one in because I like the trigger (Timney Match) better than the one that I was using before (Geisle Match). I forgot to install the regular magazine release when I swapped the lower.
Beaverton, Oregon

Matt Brown

Flipper. Thanks for the picture! It is great.
Beaverton, Oregon

whit

Quote from: Matt Brown on November 20, 2014, 08:00:34 AM
I have the correct magazine release here and will put it on.

Gotta love the modular nature of the AR.....you can easily remove those silly California requirements.......like it never happened.

Great job on shooting Rifleman Matt.....even better you got it done before the trigger pin fell out.  Timing is everything.

Whit

leftysrule

I had an excellent time, and I thank Fixer and Earl for the personal instruction! I couldn't imagine a better experience for time and money invested, I will definitely be back for my Rifleman patch in 2015!