News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA IBC Nov 8-9 2014 AAR

Started by V, November 11, 2014, 01:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Well we had a grand old two days of high-pressure hosing at Camp Piru.

Our merry crew worked through the 2-day IBC course plus a day 4 RBC Advanced Marksmanship class which had everyone ready and looking forwared to the KD shoot on Monday. I'll leave Johnny to cover that one.

More details here later, meanwhile everyone feel free to jump in with comments and/or photos.

Congratulations to the graduates of Piru Eleven Fourteen.

Cheers
V

Alexander

V, thanks for passing on your knowledge! It was a genuine pleasure spending my weekend with all of you!

:--- - Alex

gonejohnny

The flag was respectfully lowered and crisply raised for why we do what we do. As per usual, Mike Thompson also put some very touching and poignant words on the morning to start our day off correctly... Then the lead-sending began. Extremely productive:

BerettA-C traveled down from the Bay Area for a taste of how we do here in SoCal. I'll trust his experience was worth his efforts. He was most definitely welcome and proved himself all throughout the weekend. Good on you, man. Come back anytime. Oh, he qual'd Full Distance too.

Alexander ground out some scores this weekend as well. Remember those little nubs that go on bus steering wheels? School bus drivers used to have them before power steering... I wonder if they make those to help with sight adjustments on an Aimpoint? Never seen a red-dot get put through that many changes in one sitting! Well enough for a Full-Distance qual as well as doping in for the 1k Shot!

Whangdoodle got down as well. After delivering his Full-Distance qual, he moved on to the 1k shot. Having maxed out his adjustments on his BUIS's, he was offered Alexanders AR for a go and delivered the shot. Again, red-dot... 55-grain ball ammo... Blammo! One Thousand Yards. Check Please!

G_fresh put it to it with his M14 and qual'd out on Full-Distance, as did Rocdale who ran back to back successful qual's with his freshly Acog'd SPR utilizing the BDC.

Newly renamed Redfeather was in prime form. Only having shot his newly acquired M1 twice before our KD day, he delivered a clean offhand and minted himself a thousand yard shot.... offhand... with an M1... using ball ammo. Dear to my heart, I know how much fun AND a pain in the ass that shot can be! Well... he got out of his own way long enough to let it happen and struck in dead-to-rights in the middle of the gong. Well done, man. Well DONE!

Thank you to V for running the IBC and helping with setup Monday morning. Thanks to Camljr for running the line! Thank you to Brother KoolAid for the legendary chow! Thank you to Mike Thompson for use of the range! Moreover, thank you to all who showed and shot. Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of spending a fine afternoon in the sun watching it get done over and over and over.

Now that you've all qual'd and know how easy it is if you put the time in... Go find us some new guys! Your preparation period has ended.

Rock & Roll,
Hold Hard & Favor Center!
- GoneJohnny

G_fresh

All, I had so much fun once again. Thanks for the camaraderie and good times.

Thanks again, V, for always stressing "Simplicity and Precision" in our instruction. Very upstanding what you did for Mike...

Thanks to GoneJohnny for arranging and setting up the KD shoot.

Thanks to Camljr for calling the line while we all had fun.

KoolAid's food made me wish I could have eaten even more for lunch. Thanks for your contributions to making the day great!

Alexander - you gots crazy skills with that new-fangled rifle I don't understand...

BerettA-C - did you win a prize for the longest distance traveled? You should have! It was great to hang out with you on the "other side" of Appleseed.

Whangdoodle - it was great getting to know you. Hopefully we'll work some shoots together soon.

Redfeather - I'm glad we got to meet this weekend. We still need to figure out how to combine your standing and my prone. We'd be unstoppable!

Rocdale - after getting your new rifle sighted in, you smacked that full-distance twice in a row - I'm jealous!

twobeagles - as always, it's fun to hang out. Hope to see you again this weekend!

Every time I go to these it amazes me what 80 year old rifles can do in capable hands - 1,000 yards, well over a half of a mile...

BerettA-C

What a great time!!!! Piru is the promised land!!!! Everyone needs a change to get there. It's hard to believe that Mike Thompson's canyon is in Kalifornia. The drive was well worth it, and I'm sure I'll do it again.

V...you define what it is to be a great teacher and coach. I will figure out a way to come work and appleseed with you down in the south!

GoneJohnny...Inspiring!!! Amazing!!! Nothing else needs to be said.

Camljr...damn you have some fun stuff, thanks for taking the time to share, run the line, and teach.

KoolAid...Thanks to you and Johnny for the fireside chat. thanks for the grub....OMG....It's Kool to be a rifleman AND A COOK!!!

Alexander...a true "shooter" Witnessing a .223 red dot 1k shot was freaking unbelievable.

Whangdoodle...You got that stuff dialed in!!!

Redfeather...Old School Standing!!!! What a hold...(that's supposed to be the hard stuff)

G_fresh...Thanks for inspiring me to get to Piru! I'll see you and Leewhay somewhere on this trail again.

Rocdale...twobeagles...How sweet it is to see ya'all shooting and experiencing AS together!

Simply a great experience! See you Memorial day!
Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Redfeather

And the best part is - we get to do this again. I'm so looking forward to our next get-together.

L0ck3

Great to read about this past weekend at Piru and the work you all accomplished doing KD. I hope my next travel back to CA overlaps with a weekend Appleseed.  :)
Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Camljr

Quote from: L0ck3 on November 25, 2014, 11:27:22 PM
Great to read about this past weekend at Piru and the work you all accomplished doing KD. I hope my next travel back to CA overlaps with a weekend Appleseed.  :)

Tom,

You are welcome back to visit us anytime brother... though I know you are happy in a much free-r state now...

But someone has to stand firm here in California... We are it!

Cam
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt