News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is Cawthon a 'go' for this weekend?

Started by natlmatch, November 03, 2014, 10:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

It's a go - there are 17 people signed so far. So get on out for a great weekend of history and marksmanship.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

antelope

Great.  I just registered.

This will be my first shoot.  2 questions:

1.  Is this shoot rimfire only?

2.  How many rounds should I bring?

Thanks.

natlmatch

Antelope,

In the past it has not been a rimfire only event but I should let one of the experts answer that for you.
As far as preparation goes, here's a great list to get you started:
http://appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

W/o a doubt try to bring a sling if you have one such as the instructor has in the video on that page. I'll bring a few extra for loaners but i do want them back at the end of the day.

Bring anything you think you'll need for an all day event outside. They shoot rain or shine IIRC so check the weather the night before and the day of, and dress accordingly.

If your old like me or wanna be smart and protect your joints while your young, a pair of knee and elbow pads will make the day more enjoyable.

As for ammo, in years past, I've shot anywhere from as little as 175 to alittle over 300 rounds.

If you want to get a jump on the class, read this from page 4 to page 6:
http://busseltonrc.com/Articles/Fred%20M14/THE%20RIFLEMAN%20Part%204.pdf

You WILL come away from this event dirty, sore, tired, sweaty and challenged both mentally and physically but I promise you'll have a great
sense of accomplishment knowing that you're closer to mastering your rifle.

scuzzy

Quote from: antelope on November 03, 2014, 01:48:26 PM
Great.  I just registered.

This will be my first shoot.  2 questions:

1.  Is this shoot rimfire only?

2.  How many rounds should I bring?

Thanks.

Centerfire OK. Since it's a one day shoot 200 rounds would more than cover you - even 150 would most likely get you through the day no problem.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

sleepy Joe

Last month we went through about 250 rounds, but we had more daylight. Since it is 1 day event, the instructors are willing to stay as long as you can safely put rounds down range. We shot 4- 40 round AQTs along with the regular instruction. Daylight savings adjustment puts it dark around 6:30 or so
By the numbers

antelope

Thanks all for the replies.  Looking forward to a great day!

TAMUSammy

I was trying to register for it and can't seem to find the link any longer.  Has it filled up & so they took down the link?