News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2015 NH Appleseed questions

Started by MattNH, October 29, 2014, 03:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattNH

Good day,

I'm new to Appleseed and want to get my 3 children involved.  We live in Southern NH and have no problem going anywhere in the state for a weekend shoot.  Pioneer is the closest range and would be the first choice to attend.

I think I know the answers to these questions but will ask anyway.

1. Ranges are probably discussing their 2015 schedules now, but any idea when the 2015 Appleseed events will be in NH?
2. I was originally planning on bringing 1 kid at a time to the separate events.  They are 16 year old boy who shot 2 IDPA matches with this year, 14 year old girl and 11 year old boy.  I have 100% confidence in their gun safety.  I also know to stay out of the way and let them be instructed without the influence form Dad.  Any problem or issues bringing all 3 at the same time?
3. I have enough rifles for each of us, plus a backup or 2. I was planning on the 11 year old using a Marlin model 70 with tech sights since it's the lightest rifle, but shortest barrel.  The other 2 kids will be using Marlin 60s again with tech sights. Any issue with the kids and tube fed?  Would the 11 year old be better off with a tube fed?
4. The youngest has a close friend very interested in attending, any issue bringing someone else's kid?  I would only bring my son and his friend to that one and leave my other 2 home.  I could get some type of "permission slip" from the parents, but do people bring their kid's friends?

I guess that's about it. Any feedback is appreciated.
Appleseed is friend to all, enemy to none

Moylan

If your kids can promptly obey safety commands (it sounds like they can) then you can definitely bring all 3 at once.  Even adding the friend is fine.  Yes, there are some legalities involved, but it's no big deal. 

I would suggest keeping to your idea of leaving your youngest with the model 70 and letting the older boys use the tube feds.  Using a tube fed is perfectly fine and works just great at AS, but it does require a little more maneuvering around, and the faster the shooters can safely go, the less the line will get held up.  That said, my 10-year old used a Henry tube fed once, and he did just fine with it. 

NH Appleseed event scheduling, I'll leave to the NH people to tell you about.  But don't ignore VT (Proctor), ME (N Berwick) and even MA (Leyden and Harvard).  It looks like there's a shoot in Leyden this weekend. 
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

NhLibertas

Hi! Thanks for your interest in NH's Appleseed program.

We have an event coming up November 15-16 in Pelham, NH, and it's a great range to come out to. Here's a link to that event: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/pelham-nh-appleseed-november-15-16-2014-tickets-9826392003
Looks like there are presently 11 tickets left, I'd urge you to sign up ASAP if you would like to attend. I'm not sure exactly when we will have the 2015 dates available, but it will be soon. Please check back on the schedule, and if you use Facebook you can "Like" our page to get updates at: https://www.facebook.com/NHAppleseed

As Moylan said, the kids are most welcome all at once so long as they are safe. I personally don't know the regulations relative to a waiver/release for another child other than your own, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in there.

I think your 11 year old would be best off with whatever rifle best fits their body. Length of pull/ergonomics/overall weight are way more important than potential speed with a detachable box magazine. Sights are also high on my list of important attributes, and Tech Sights are excellent.

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. I look forward to seeing you out on the line!
"Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. Liberty is a man-of-war, and we are all crew." ~ Kenneth W. Royce

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die. - G.K. Chesterton

scuzzy

Quote from: NhLibertas on October 30, 2014, 08:14:59 AM

As Moylan said, the kids are most welcome all at once so long as they are safe. I personally don't know the regulations relative to a waiver/release for another child other than your own, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in there.

If you bring a child that is not yours you will need to have the childs parents fill out a liability waiver beforehand. You can get a waiver here to print out and have the kids parent fill out:

http://appleseedinfo.org/pdf/Final%20-%20Liability%20Waiver%20-%20Model%20Release%20-%20Photography%20Release%20form.pdf
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

The Old Guide

Maine is going to need a Shoot Boss for Monmouth for April 18/19. Our only Shoot Boss will be at Columbia. Monmouth is a good club and enthusiastic about Appleseed. They are about 12 miles west of Augusta.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

MattNH

I just signed up for the April 18-19, 2015 Appleseed in Pelham.  My 11 year old son will be there with me.

First one for both of us.

Matt

Luigi

Matt,

Excellent!  Looking forward to meeting you and your son!

MattNH

Quote from: Luigi on February 26, 2015, 10:04:56 PM
Matt,

Excellent!  Looking forward to meeting you and your son!

Luigi,

Thanks.  With all the snow, it's hard to get to my backyard "range" so I had him practicing empty magazine changes on our Marlin 70 and decided the stock is too long for him.  I have an unused Model 60 stock, took off 1 1/4", cut out the spot for the magazine and added sling swivels.  Much better fit and I still have the original stock for when he's bigger.

We're really looking forward to April.

Matt