News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA offering Appleseed-like "Action Rifle Challenge"

Started by Mike Woodcock, October 27, 2014, 01:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Woodcock

From NRA e-mail to certified trainers:

NRA's Action Rifle Challenge
NRA Action Rifle Challenge

New from NRA Training is a fun way to develop or expand your skills with your modern sporting rifle. Dubbed NRA-ARC (Action Rifle Challenge), this training event is presented by Daniel Defense and is open to semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazine like the AR-15. The course of fire is designed for shooters of all skill levels and can easily be adapted to most ranges with center fire capabilities. Participants will learn safe gun handling skills and proficiency with their firearms.

Shooters will be introduced to scenarios involving single and multiple targets, using cover and concealment, defensive positions of prone, standing and kneeling and efficient magazine changes. Participants will also receive guidance in the use of bipeds, slings and optics commonly used in defensive situations.

Beta NRA-ARC events have already been conducted in Arizona, Virginia, West Virginia, and Michigan. Some events have offered targets varying in distance from 7 yards to 300 yards. Most ranges will only be able to offer distances out to 100 yards, and the primarily course of fire is designed to meet that need.

Participants love this event. Brooke Fleming, who traveled nine hours to shoot in the West Virginia event held at the beautiful Peacemaker Range exclaimed, "With this being my first tactical-style event, I was a little intimidated. But with the training I received while on the line, I started developing skills I always thought were out of my reach."

Now is the time to schedule an NRA-ARC event at your range for 2015. For more information, contact NRA-ARC@nrahq.org or call 703-267-1500, then press 5 for details.

EZ3

It sounds more like "IDPA for carbines" rather than the Appleseed COI.  We do something like that at my home club that we call "Patrol Rifle Challenge".  About time the NRA caught on!    >:D
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Nero

Yeah, we had something similar 'Tactical Rifle' at Castro Valley, which was pretty much the rifle part of 3-gun for those without interest/funding to do handgun and shotgun.  We also borrowed stage ideas from the local IPSC crew. 

Looks like NRA is trying to get out ahead and codify these ad hoc events.

Really not at all the same as AS - 'kickadoor' oriented, not precision rifle.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

BeSwift

Yeah, the closet "rip off" out there that I'm aware of is the CMP Rimfire Sporter... If you're an Appleseeder the CMP bit is like an easier version with no mag changes..   
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations