News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Freetown, IN LADYSEED, Oct 25-26, 2014

Started by AuntieBellum, October 27, 2014, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

Epic weekend. I'll be back with pics and more. No need to wait for me, though...
Let the After Action Report begin NOW!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Lonestar6

The history books used in developing the presentations y'all heard over the weekend include:
Primary:
Fischer, David Hackett, 1994, Paul Revere's Ride, Oxford University Press, New York, New York, 445 pgs.

Other:
Bracken, Jeanne Munn, Women in the American Revolution, History Compass, Boston, Massachusetts, 87 pgs

Martin, Joseph Plumb, republished 2010; A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier; Some of the Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin; The memoir previously published as Private Yankee Doodle, Signet Classics, New York New York.
     There is a little history to this reference: "Joseph Plumb Martin was born in western Massachusetts in 1760. His father was a pastor who often got in trouble for speaking his mind too freely. At the age of seven, Joseph was sent to live with his affluent grandfather. When the war started in 1775 Martin chafed to enlist but he was too young. Many of Martin's friends had enlisted and Martin was quite susceptible to their peer pressure.
     In June of 1776, at the age of 15, Martin, though wary of a long enlistment, decided "to take a priming before I took upon me the whole coat of paint for a soldier." Thus, much to the chagrin of his grandparents, Martin enlisted in for six months as a private in the Connecticut state troops. After serving at the Battles of Brooklyn and White Plains on the side of the Patriots, the farm boy decided not to reenlist in December 1776. But a long winter at home proved too dull for the teenage veteran. He enlisted again in 1777, this time in Washington's Continental army, and served for the duration of the war, seeing action at a number of major battles.
     At the age of 70, the venerated veteran then living in Maine published A Narrative of Some of the Adventures, Danger and Suffering of a Revolutionary Soldier, Interspersed with Anecdotes of Incidents that Occurred Within His Own Observation. The book which did not sell particularly well fell into obscurity until rediscovered in the 1960s when it was republished with the title Private Yankee Doodle." http://www.ushistory.org/march/other/martindiary.htm Last accessed 27OCT2014.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

Lonestar6

As I was driving home last night, recalling the wonderful weekend I had had sharing a rare beautiful late October weekend on the range with some mighty fine Americans, and thinking about my schedule between now and Veteran's Day; I thought out loud "Wow am I glad I voted early". VOTED Early... and that is when I realized an opportunity had been missed. Ladies, Election Day is a mere 8 days away and I am compelled to remind you to vote.

When our Forefathers and Mothers secured our Liberty and then, with the passage of the 19th Amendment of the Constitution secured a Woman's Right (and associated responsibility) to vote; it became incumbent on the Ladies as well as the Gentlemen to understand their local, regional and national political issues; determine what their opinion is regarding those issues and voice that opinion, annually, on the first Tuesday of November by going to the Polls and casting their ballot.

For clarity, I nor anyone else should tell you how to vote; the ballot you cast must come from your personal understanding of the issues.  Nor do I expect anyone to vote the same way I did. The tree of Liberty is revitalized by the tension created when reconciling opposing views. Great documents such as our own Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution did not evolve from group think but from long and sometimes heated debate while the Founding Fathers hammered out their differences and ultimately forged the founding documents that have stood the test of time.

In summary, don't forget to vote!

LS6
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

Rayne

~
~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

HappyHiker

Molly Pitcher reporting!

I had a wonderful time learning the traditional rifle marksmanship skills along with our heritage. Our instructors were lively, and we sure had a fun group of ladies!

Here's how I feel about Ruger factory iron sights:  :wb:

The following day I ordered the TechSight TSR200 peep sights for my Ruger 10/22. I imagine I'll have much better success once installed, then I'll be ready for the firing line again.  :---

The bug has bitten me. I keep wanting to be back at the range.... Something has stirred within my soul. I'll be back to an Appleseed soon! Thank you, AuntieBellum, LoneStar6, and Rayne! What a mighty group of instructors you are!

p.s. Two favorite parts of the weekend:
1) Being told to "Suck it up, Cupcake!" I still giggle when I think of that moment!
2) Shooting the powerful M1 Garand. Wow.

CaraBelle

Ditto what HappyHiker said!!! Loved my time at the range last weekend. Really enjoyed meeting everyone. My new iron sight came in yesterday and I can't wait to get it on my rifle and do more practicing!

Thank you Lonestar6 for the book references! I will definitely be checking those out. Thank you Rayne for letting us shoot your fairly new to you baby. Definitely a highlight of the weekend!!! Look forward to seeing the pics, AuntieBellum!  O0

Again, our instructors ROcKeD!  :bow:

Cherokee

Thank you ladies for a terrific weekend!  I appreciate all the instruction and personal attention.  I look forward to the next Ladyseed! :) 

Riflegirl

I'm so glad that everyone came out for an awesome weekend. It great to meet everyone and work with you. I hope to see all of you at another appleseed. :)

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Lonestar6

Big John

Quote from: Rayne on November 01, 2014, 12:04:09 AM
Well Ladies, how much more thankful are you for the beautiful weather we had last weekend compared to this weekend? 

Thanks what I thought.   O0

Indeed. It was freaking cold on the line this weekend.

Rayne

~