News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Carson, New Mexico. Oct 18-19. Where the West Remains On A Brand New Range!

Started by TaosGlock, October 22, 2014, 11:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

Taos New Mexico (actually Carson, just up the road) finally got it's first Project Appleseed! :~
Huzzah to 7 local shooters who showed up early during a cold rain turning to snow!

Inside the residence of the landowners, Greg and Pam Busick, we started the Safety Briefing, etc. then explained the Redcoat target.
The rain paused a bit on the metal roof and BlueFeather spotted a hint of blue sky so we charged over to the firing line. 
The rain quit and the sun came out in typical New Mexico fashion.

A view from the range towards the Carson Post Office and the Poco Loco General Store just as the clouds lift.

The beauty of this area and the attendant shooting range has no peer anywhere in the Nation!
Appleseeding at it's best! And in the one of the freest states in the Union. O0
The clouds lift a bit more...

The sun came out, the sky cleared and the New Mexico high peaks above 12,000 all got snow!

A perfect day for a Rifleman!

Blue Feather dives right into the instruction modules to a very attentive and receptive group....

....and then pounds out the First Strike of the Match like the sound of hoof beats from Paul Revere's horse.
Meanwhile, the horses safely grazing in the north pasture are used to the typical gunfire from Liberty's most suited noisemaker...the rifle!

Safety TPI is done frequently for many reasons.

Another trip to the firing line. How big is my group and where is my group. Later we learn the why.
Time for IMC-Inches, Minutes and Clicks.
This new range was just cleared out of sage and weeds and set up a few weeks go!
The old range off to the left is now a pasture.

A Rifleman is exact and precise.
BlueFeather does IMC on the line using a shooters group.

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

TaosGlock

The long and proud history of the Taos dates back to August 29, 1540 when Capitan Hernando Alvarado as
part of the expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado arrived in the Taos Valley for the first time.
They saw the magnificent ancient towering pueblo structures of the historic Taos Pueblo,
and the peaceful Tiwa Indians who had inhabited the area for centuries. It was a peaceful meeting, and gifts were exchanged.
That first meeting was the first of many cultural exchanges that were to forever change the valley we know as Taos today.

Just two miles north of the city of Taos New Mexico, stands the centuries old Taos Pueblo,
one of the longest continually inhabited communities in the United States.

Throughout its early years, Taos Pueblo was a central point of trade between the native populations along the Rio Grande
and their Plains Tribes neighbors to the northeast. Taos Pueblo hosted a trade fair each fall after the agricultural harvest.

At the time of the American Declaration of Independence in 1776 according to the census taken by Father Dominguez,
the Taos Valley area contained 67 families with 306 Spaniards.

Taos and it's surrounding communities are overflowing with a long proud history, three cultures living side by side,
and a heritage of colorful people. Its diversity makes Taos a very interesting and desirable place to live and do business.

Shooters must cross the historic Rio Grande Gorge Bridge to get to Carson.

This wild area is home to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. Their home is the 600 foot gorge area right at the Bridge.

And finally, just up the road a quick bit is Carson, NM. Named after Kit Carson.
Far from the typical peticured ranges near the big cities, lies the most remote and rustic range and community in the US, Carson, NM! :---
This small community of just 105 folks is just a half hour up the road from Taos, NM.
This diverse area is where the west remains.
The Community BB below is located at the United States Post Office facility in Carson, NM.
Just up the road a few hundred yards is the range.

Don't tread on me....

All ready on the firing line...Fire!

BlueFeather down in the sand instructing....

Watching the line..... seated position.

Standing stage...

Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

This is how you load your M1 Garand.

AQT grind....

After all was said and nearly done, we got 1 Rifleman! Congrats Carlos!

Group shot:

...more later!

TaosGlock

KD time on the line! The 200 yard AR500 "D" size steel.

The steel is visible above the 8th backer.

...more later!

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

TaosGlock

A huge thanks to Greg and Pam Busick who made this shoot possible!
Thanks to all you shooters for showing up!
We will be doing more shoots at this range in the future!

Long Rifle

Looks like you guys had a grand time. I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the inaugural event in Carson. Looks like my mowing job in early fall held up pretty well. It'll probably have to be done again in the spring. Can I use a riding mower this time? When I was mowing the first time I was having flashbacks from my teenage years mowing lawns for money.
Those that can, DO. Those that can DO MORE, teach.
Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

BlueFeather

For our first event at this new range....Huzzah!
Thanks to all who came out and got a dose of North Bridge history and marksmanship!
Congrats to Carlos for attaining Expert status on the AQT!
The rest of the shooters were close and most made a huge improvement!
Thanks to Pam and Greg for creating this very new range for our local residents!
There will be more events here next year!
Carson, New Mexico, where the west remains!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

StevenK