News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA HQ Range Shoot, Fairfax, VA Oct 20- Oct 21, 2014

Started by BeSwift, October 22, 2014, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSwift

Wow.. where to begin???  NRA agreed to host us on their paid range, gratis, and went above and beyond to assure a trouble free shoot.. Facilities??  Lounge, classroom, 16 position computerized indoor range, shop for accessories and ammo.. nothing more could have been asked. They provided staffing and allowed us to run the show.. THANK YOU NRA!!!  :bow: O0 :bow:

Mon PM saw 8 shooters on the line for our abbreviated session.. All acclimated well, showed teachable attitudes, and full attention to the history. Fred  (yes Fred himself) attended and did an amazing closing to finish out the evening.

Tues PM, saw 8 shooters on the line, with all shooters showing major progress. One shooter requalified as Rifleman,  with many other knocking on the door. History was full on, with the 3rd Strike and closing comments by Fred.. All students left with appreciation for the Appleseed message, and heard the call to join us in Saving our Nation.. They WILL be back on the line, with others, at a minimum.. All I can say is WOW... Downright inspiring..

Thank you to all the shooters, families, instructors (a banner group), Fred, and NRA for being amazing hosts.. We intend to return to make Appleseed a regular event at this facility, and the odds are looking good...

Check out the Project Appleseed Maryland and Project Appleseed Virginia Facebook pages for a TON of pics...

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

FFJim

As BeSwift stated, a great facility and staff with tremendous students in attendance. It was great to have a mash up of MD and VA instructors. Can't wait to work together again. Also, a special thanks to Fred for making the trip up and giving a great 3rd strike and closing. For sure, the students were engaged.

*** Side note is that one student was so impressed the first night that he made his wife come the second night just to meet Fred!  :)
FF Jim
Dundalk, MD

navybowhunter

THAT is AWESOME!

Regret not making this, but from the pictures, looks like you all had enough support.

WOW!

S_Two

This Appleseed was a standout!  We have attended other Appleseed events, and have enjoyed and benefited from them all.  But this Appleseed was extra-special, held in the awesome range beneath the National Firearms Museum in the headquarters of the NRA.  Our heartfelt thanks go out to BeSwift, The Wolfhound, DangerousCook, Shigu Chan, BD, FF Jim, and all of the other dedicated Red Hats who worked so hard to help us improve our skills! 

And especially, our gratitude goes to the meticulous instructor who introduced himself simply as "Fred". It did not take us long to figure out that this Fred was The Fred, the founder of Project Appleseed.  It was truly an honor to hear him directly articulate his vision for his organization.  Fred made the familiar Appleseed call for civic participation...but his rendition was edgier, more urgent, more specific:  "If you think your representatives are doing a great job, call them and tell them.  If you think your representatives could be doing a better job, call them and tell them."  "Find something to be involved in...maybe help with a party primary...you might make a difference in advancing causes that are important to YOU".  "Appleseed will never influence who or what you vote for ... but it is critical that you always register your vote".   "This is a Republic...and republics require ACTIVE participation".  And so on.

Ultimately, Fred's message was a hopeful one.  Over and over he pointed out that the Patriots of the 1700s faced daunting odds and uncertain outcomes...but also that Perseverance in service of Liberty eventually resulted in the founding of this independent nation.  Fred discussed how this same civic spirit, pride, perseverance and energy can be awakened again, and how his Appleseeds will help fuel the revival of civic engagement over the next 12-14 years.  Clearly, this man knows what he is about!

We were all enriched by the opportunity to meet him.

S_Two

Management theory teaches that "Feedback is a gift, even (and especially) when it is critical".  Fred was especially detailed in his welcome feedback to both shooters and instructors.

S_Two

While the Flags of the American Revolution form the backdrop of many Appleseeds, they are seldom discussed in detail.  We were treated to the interesting stories behind many of the flags.

S_Two

The range was first rate!  (except, of course, for the "vicious indoor cross-wind" that I am blaming for lowering my scores  ::) )

S_Two

It is always reaffirming to see the efforts and improvements of the younger Appleseed participants!

S_Two

A rapt audience hears about Dangerous Old Men!

MostlyHarmless

What a fantastic place for an Appleseed!

When you come into the lobby of the NRA range, displayed prominently over the counter when you check in is a painting of the Battle at North Bridge- our kinda place!! I wonder how many American gun owners walk by it each day without even knowing what that painting depicts? We're here to change that.

Often when we're telling history, the images and objects we describe might be hard for shooters to imagine. But at Fairfax, the NRA range is just a few steps away from the NRA museum- where you can see a British officer's uniform with its polished brass gorget, actual Brown Bess muskets, and even a fine pair of matched French dueling pistols!

The staff was incredibly helpful and welcoming, and the facilities are of course world class. Anything at all we needed, they were there for us- and even let us take pictures!

The range-

Classroom space-

A regiment of redcoats, soon to be broken by America fire.

Our shooters included two American patriots from the 1st Virginia Regiment in period colonial dress! https://www.facebook.com/1varegiment
What a treat they were to have on the line!

A Patriot in a petticoat!

We will be back!! Watch for more shoots at the NRA range in 2015.

Thanks again to the National Rifle Association, and the NRA Range and staff in Fairfax for hosting us!
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

Taylor

Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

MostlyHarmless

We ran into Mark Keefe of American Rifleman and talked to him for a bit. He was very supportive and enthusiastic about Appleseed. Inspired by NavyBowHunter's smooth seventh step earlier this weekend (detailed here! http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=43172.msg306084#msg306084 ), FFJim went to make his move. Unfortunately, Mark was busy filming something else for the afternoon, and couldn't join us on the line. But he said he's very interested in joining us to film a future shoot! We'll see if we can make that happen.  O0
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

bryanrheem

Sorry this reply is late (almost a month late), but I just had to throw in my 2 cents!

This was my first Appleseed event and I was so impressed, so impacted, and so glad I attended.  I quickly realized how fortunate I was that my first Appleseed had an amazing crew of VA/MD instructors AND Fred himself.  I loved the history, so much that I've ordered David Fischer's book and hope to commit as much of it to memory as possible.  Each instructor (including Fred) did such an amazing job communicating the history and the patriot spirit.  What a privilege it was to also end the event with Fred sharing his vision behind Appleseed and his call to action.  I sure wish it was all video recorded!

The shoot portion was fast paced and incredibly fun.  While having Fred peer over my shoulder was slightly nerve racking, I thoroughly enjoyed his feedback, correction, insight, and humor (as sarcastic as it might have been...).  While I missed the Rifleman score, I left confident that I CAN and WILL get that patch! 

I look forwarding to bringing many others to Appleseeds next year, and hope to see it again at the NRA Range.  Being in Northern VA, it's literally in my backyard!

I'm deeply grateful and inspired that there are still men and women who have hope for this nation, and are willing to invest their time and energy to make sure the vision of our forefathers does not die. 

BeSwift

Bryan.. this was a special event indeed... I hope you make it back to the firing line soon (we have a shoot outside of Charles Town WV in a few weeks  ;)) and consider joining us on our mission to save our great Nation.. Feel free to keep in touch, and if you've haven't "liked" the Facebook pages for Appleseed MD and VA, consider doing so, for up to the second info.    Thanks    BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations