News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

~

Started by Rayne, October 22, 2014, 12:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayne

~
~

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Big John

-

fisherdawg

Clicks are 1 moa windage and elevation on GI sights -- 1/2 in both on national match sights.  Nice shooting, accurate rifle.

You must keep you fingers off the op rod -- even sight pressure will cause fliers 2 -4 moa.

I suggest a leather glove with some skater board tape firmly adhered to the palm, perhaps, rather than zip tie anything that might touch the op rod.
;D ;D ;D
Thank you Mr. Garand!
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

brianheeter

Sweet!  Congratulations and nice shooting!

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Lonestar6

Very Nice! Looks like you and that M1 make a great team.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

Hop

Congrats on your new bang stick!  We should have an all Garand shoot.  I've done an "all CMP" rifle shoot and it was really fun.

jmdavis

Quote from: fisherdawg on October 22, 2014, 01:26:35 AM
Clicks are 1 moa windage and elevation on GI sights -- 1/2 in both on national match sights.  Nice shooting, accurate rifle.

You must keep you fingers off the op rod -- even sight pressure will cause fliers 2 -4 moa.

I suggest a leather glove with some skater board tape firmly adhered to the palm, perhaps, rather than zip tie anything that might touch the op rod.
;D ;D ;D
Thank you Mr. Garand!

Not quite. Clicks on the NM M1 sights are 1/2 for windage and 1 for elevation. To get 1/2 for elevation you need to rotate the hood. If the notch was up, flipping the notch down lowers the POI by 1/2 MOA.

Skateboard tape, pine rosin, and firm grip (spray and gell) are all solutions to a slipping hand. But take note that firm grip can cause discoloration and finish wear to the stock. It may be possible for you to develop a position where the tension of the sling (combined with a glove, heavy leather or shooting mitt) keeps your support hand in place.

The note on the op rod is spot on. Pressure on the forarm can cause the oprod to jam in addition to
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Unbridled Liberty

That there is a Riflewoman!  Nice job Rayne!

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

fisherdawg

Quote from: jmdavis on October 22, 2014, 01:14:20 PM
Quote from: fisherdawg on October 22, 2014, 01:26:35 AM

;D ;D ;D
Thank you Mr. Garand!

Not quite. Clicks on the NM M1 sights are 1/2 for windage and 1 for elevation. To get 1/2 for elevation you need to rotate the hood. If the notch was up, flipping the notch down lowers the POI by 1/2 MOA.

Skateboard tape, pine rosin, and firm grip (spray and gell) are all solutions to a slipping hand. But take note that firm grip can cause discoloration and finish wear to the stock. It may be possible for you to develop a position where the tension of the sling (combined with a glove, heavy leather or shooting mitt) keeps your support hand in place.

The note on the op rod is spot on. Pressure on the forarm can cause the oprod to jam in addition to

Thanks jmd -- you are the Garand 'man'!  O0
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

jmdavis

Quote from: fisherdawg on October 22, 2014, 08:52:54 PM

Thanks jmd -- you are the Garand 'man'!  O0

Not me, Hawkeye and VAShooter are the Garand Men. All that I know I learned from the two of them. I can shoot 'em, but I'm no M1 expert.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

SPQR

Rayne, how could you possibly have heard those were half moa clicks and thought that was the case? 

Really?  You astound me sometimes. How?  Everyone you know uses the Garand in their IMC speech as an example of 1 moa clicks. Every Garand on that line had one moa clicks. When tater and I were going over your rifle we could have told you it was one moa.

Who?  How?  Who are you listening to?  Have we not proved who should be listened to?  Sigh. I swear, if you say one more time that it's the mensplausething again I'm going to pull my hair out.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Rayne

Quote from: SPQR on October 23, 2014, 12:09:09 AM
Rayne, how could you possibly have heard those were half moa clicks and thought that was the case? 

Really?  You astound me sometimes. How?  Everyone you know uses the Garand in their IMC speech as an example of 1 moa clicks. Every Garand on that line had one moa clicks. When tater and I were going over your rifle we could have told you it was one moa.

Who?  How?  Who are you listening to?  Have we not proved who should be listened to?  Sigh. I swear, if you say one more time that it's the mensplausething again I'm going to pull my hair out.

**)  You crack me up SPQR!  You know me and that female problem about listening to conversations that I'm not part of.  I over heard two guys talking and the one said he knew the elevation was 1 MOA per click but he wasn't sure about windage, he thought it was 1/2 MOA. (maybe they were talking about NM sights) This guy has a Garand and I didn't think much more about it, until I went to adjust my windage the other day.  Besides, how much fun would it have been to take two shots, do IMC and then put the next one dead center.  I was hoping to shoot it a few more times, but the hubby stopped me after my third shot and told me to redo my windage.  Party Pooper.

Think of it this way... I was doing my own little version of the box drill of sorts.   %)
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

spitfire51

Good shootin' there Rayne.  Although I'm wondering why your second "group" only consists of 1 shot
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Big John

Because she's been influence by the "One Shot to IMC" Rambo moves of the Bedford Contingent.  ;D

SPQR

It's how we roll.

We also measure our groups by outside dimension. Charlie don't care about no center to center.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter