News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Desoto Kansas - potential event

Started by scuzzy, October 07, 2014, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

I've been in contact with a guy from the Millcreek Rifle Club in De Soto, Kansas. They have 18 members that have committed to doing an event. They would like it to be a private event although that's not set in stone.

I've entered the EIP info into our system:

https://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=637

Now the big question is: Can we staff that? I'll make sure that you guys have plenty of advance notice. I'd also like to know whether the KS crew, or surrounding states, are willing to do the event.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

scuzzy

Just got another email - they are looking at May 2-3, 2015.

Is there anybody else out there can help with this?

Lomshek

I'll talk to Tomcat at the event he's SB'ing this weekend and see if it's within his realm.  I'd be able to step in on Sunday but Saturday is out for me. Have you checked with Connibear?

Shawn McEwen

I'll commit to this one too.  I'm relocating from AZ in a month or so to Edwardsville, and should be there full time by December of this year.  I've been in contact with Lomshek and Connibear on the instructor's list board as well about the move. 

KCKen

It would be great to have a Kansas event, but does it have to be private?  I have a feeling (selfish as it may be) that there are a lot of interested patriots out here in Kansas!

colonial shooter

Quote from: Lomshek on October 08, 2014, 12:52:54 PM
I'll talk to Tomcat at the event he's SB'ing this weekend and see if it's within his realm.  I'd be able to step in on Sunday but Saturday is out for me. Have you checked with Connibear?

I believe he was talking about it this past weekend, but I cannot speak for him.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

connibear

Yes, I have been contacted and I am working with several of the Kansas instructors through pm's though. If there are any other Kansas Instructors that can help with this that would be great, even some border raiders would be great. The date is may 2-3 2015. Should be on schedule before to long.
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

connibear

The Desoto KS event registration is now open for instructors only, as this will be a private shoot for members only. They may open it up for the public on the next one. So if you are a KS instructor then please make yourselves available or if you are in a reasonable driving distance then we would love to have you.

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

KCKen

Well, I guess I will just keep going to Missouri and Iowa events.

colonial shooter

Ken you are more than welcome here in MO. Looking forward to seeing you again!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

connibear

I think we should be able to get this event opened to the public before to long. All about persistence. I am partly to blame on this being a private event. We had confirmation that there 18 members wanting to shoot, and we can only get 20 maybe 25 on the line without needing to run two lines. This range has roughly 1200 members, so I figured it wouldn't be hard to fill the lines. Plus they are unsure about opening up to the general public for another organization to come in and have a marksmanship clinic. We shall strive to get it opened up eventually. Another instructor is scoping out some other ranges to get into, so keep an eye open to see what happens in Kansas.

Until then though I agree with Colonial Shooter, MO is more than glad to have you on our line. I believe Billings was your second shoot and you qualified rifleman.

Do I see an orange hat in your very near future????  ;D

postal16

I have just been re-promoted to IIT0 (thanks connibear) and I am signed up to help with this event (on Saturday).  After a 4 year hiatus (life got in the way, including a move from California to Kansas) and I am excited to start progressing to the Red Hat and helping get AS up and running in the KC Area.
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

postal16

Also, when you are working a event is it ok to sign up one of your children to attend it as a student?  I am thinking of my daughter Evelyn who is almost 12, please advise.
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance"
-Anonymous

6th Great-Grandson to Eleazer Hamlin (1732-1807) who answered the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775, he was second lieutenant in Captain James Hatch's company and marched from West Parish, Pembroke, to Scituate and Marshfield. In list of officers in General Thomas' regiment, commissioned May 19, 1775, he held the rank of captain, and Jan. 1, 1776, he was captain in the Twenty-third Continental Infantry. He was in the army at Peekskill, New York, Dec. 27, 1776. Tradition in the family gave it that because of his large family at home he was retired with the rank of brevot major and that General Washington on bidding him farewell gave him $200 in Continental money. Four of his sons: Africa, Europe (my 5th Great Grandfather), America and Eleazer, and a son-in-law, Major Seth Phillips, served in the revolutionary army.

scuzzy

Gonna be a good event - already have 20 people signed up. Just checked 5 are memberships so bumped from 25 to 30 on capacity.

If you want to open it up to the public now let me know.

colonial shooter

I think that the range/club wanted it private for the first time. Hopefully that will change after this event.

Postal16, my advise is bring her and let the club decide about her attending, she will already be there. It will also show that we are flexible... especially when it comes to kids.

Plato

postal16

Thanks Colonial Shooter.

I am a member of that Club so she would be eligible to attend since it is a Family membership.

My concern is more how it would work with this being my first IIT venture and making sure that the SB and more experienced ASers would be ok with it.

I was thinking this would be a good experience for her, but also it makes me working these events easier to sell to my wife if I involve my kids :-)
-Anonymous

postal16

Also, I have a few men in my Scout Pack (but are not MCRC members) who would be interested (one is a Marine) in attending if this opens to the public and if they passed the AQT would step up being ITTs in the KC area...as we get closer we can look at this I hope.
-Anonymous

connibear

Mike, I put an email in to sarge late last night. I have not heard back from him yet. If your daughter is a member then by all means sign her up. Sarge said he is turning members and nonmembers away. we may not get this open to the public, but I did ask sarge if we could do another one in June sometime so everyone could get a chance to attend. Plus if it went public the range might pick up more memberships or at the least a lot of range fees from the non members. We'll see what happens. Looks like this will be a good spot for appleseed. I will send you and email or pm later. I'm trying to get a hundred things done at once today.  :P  ~~:)

postal16

Thanks Ben.

Another thought I had was after we get a couple of AS events at Mill Creek knocked out, and hopefully a few more ITTs that a IBC would be great...this will get some momentum and tap into the KC area potential.

I also have on my to do list to contact the Heart of America Council Range Officer and see if we can use the facilities at Camp Naish (Bonner Springs, KS) and/or Camp Bartle (Icodium, MO) for Scout based and/or Public AS events (I am planning this year or early next year to get my NRA Range Officer Cert to be Boy Scout Legal). O0

Also, did you get my PC0 that I emailed to you. :)
-Anonymous

connibear

sounds good mike.

yes, I got your pc0 and it looks fine.

Hopefully, with Pittsburg and Desoto, this will be a good start on getting KS back on the map.

MO can use all the help we can get also for the Holden, MO event at the pioneer gun club. It's located roughly an hour east of KC.

postal16

When is the Holden Event, I do not see it on the Schedule?
-Anonymous

connibear

There's not one yet.  ;D However I have a boyscout troop that wants to do a shoot in KC area sometime in Sept. If I can get the KS instructors to help out I think we could do another one and get a pretty good turnout for sometime in the spring or summer depending on what dates would be available.

postal16

-Anonymous

Lomshek

Quote from: postal16 on January 24, 2015, 12:09:50 PM
My concern is more how it would work with this being my first IIT venture and making sure that the SB and more experienced ASers would be ok with it.

Once the kid has the manual of arms and safety down the best method is to put the kid at the opposite end of the line from you and let them get experience out from under dad's guiding hand.  It's what I did with my kids at AS.  After they'd proven they were capable of following safety rules and knew how to operate the rifles 100% I clipped the strings and let them operate independently of me.

This has the added benefit of keeping dad from spending an inordinate amount of time with their own kid and neglecting the line.  In my experience it's very hard to not focus on my kids when I'm working the part of the line they're on.

postal16

Thanks Lomshek that is what I was looking for...I have no doubts my daughter will do fine, I just need to set a boundary that she will not have Dad giving her all the attention.  I plan on doing some upfront work with her too before the event.
-Anonymous

postal16

What is the latest on this event?  What time do you need IITs to be there?
-Anonymous

connibear

Hey postal16

this event came up rather quickly. LBOG has folks showing up at seven o clock,  :slap: Oh well, we will get an extra hour of stuff in. Please be there by 7. I will send a pm to the instructors that are coming, sometime tomorrow. I will be there Friday evening to see that everything will work. I generally don't assign tasks before hand but this will be my exception. If there is something you want to do or don't want to please let me know. The list will always be subject to change.

postal16

Use me as you need to, this will be my first time wearing the Orange hat at a AS and it has been over 5 years so I will be a little rusty.  I have my ITT1 paperwork/test filled out and ready.  I am looking forward to this very much
-Anonymous

postal16

Connibear

Thanks for coming up and running a great shoot...how did Sunday go?  Any new Riflemen?
-Anonymous

connibear

you're more than welcome Mike. We had one new rifleman. I will try to get the AAR done tonight, so be looking there for the full report.  O0