News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Facebook post re: Oct. 4-5

Started by ThePoet, October 03, 2014, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePoet

This post was made by Tim Green on our national Facebook page.  Can someone please let me know how to respond?  Thanks.

My wife and I are signed up for an Appleseed this weekend, (Oct. 4-5). I think it was near Terre Haute, IN. However I can't find any info on the location or schedule for this Appleseed now. The online Indiana schedule has taken down everything before next weekend in Noblesville. We're not sure where to show up or how to get there. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

AuntieBellum

It was canceled due to zero preregs. Perhaps they made it in before the cancellation, in which case they should have gotten an email at the time. I'll text spitfire to clarify.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

ATM

The same thing happened recently when the Lake Village event was cancelled, two or three people I spoke with actually got registered before the sign-up page was removed and immediately found themselves needing to transfer elsewhere or request a refund.

Can we examine and tweak our cancellation procedures or is this truly unavoidable?
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

George Hacker

There is no incentive for early registration, so I'm not sure how to solve this problem. On the Facebook page in our region we remind our audience that we need early preregistrations to plan for an event.

George
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

AuntieBellum

Tim and his wife have already been in email contact with Indiana peeps. It seems that they signed up shortly after the pm was sent to scuzzy to cancel the event due to zero pre-regs.

As for the Lake Village event, it seems that the one I know about was a mail-in. Can we throw out that option? They can just pay at the door of they don't want to pay online. They can even pre-reg as free and still pay at the door. Less work and confusion for everyone that way.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

scuzzy

Quote from: ATM on October 03, 2014, 10:33:43 AM
The same thing happened recently when the Lake Village event was cancelled, two or three people I spoke with actually got registered before the sign-up page was removed and immediately found themselves needing to transfer elsewhere or request a refund.

Can we examine and tweak our cancellation procedures or is this truly unavoidable?

Not sure if there is a good procedure. When I get a PM asking to cancel an event I do so. If there are pre-regs I do send an email asking if they want a transfer or a refund. Lately I also ask the SB to send emails too in case they don't get delivered - which does happen sometimes.

I also don't see Mr. Green listed on the EventBrite page as being a pre-reg for the cancelled event. Not sure what's up there. EB has been giving me other problems lately so no telling what.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

George Hacker

Quote from: AuntieBellum on October 03, 2014, 11:39:59 AM
As for the Lake Village event, it seems that the one I know about was a mail-in. Can we throw out that option? They can just pay at the door of they don't want to pay online. They can even pre-reg as free and still pay at the door. Less work and confusion for everyone that way.

+1000 - Perhaps we could create a "free - pay at the door" category in Eventbrite. That question comes up a lot - "How can I preregister if I want to pay with check or cash? I am not a LEO or military."
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

ATM

Quote from: scuzzy on October 03, 2014, 11:48:01 AM

Quote from: ATM on October 03, 2014, 10:33:43 AM

Not sure if there is a good procedure. When I get a PM asking to cancel an event I do so. If there are pre-regs I do send an email asking if they want a transfer or a refund. Lately I also ask the SB to send emails too in case they don't get delivered - which does happen sometimes.

I also don't see Mr. Green listed on the EventBrite page as being a pre-reg for the cancelled event. Not sure what's up there. EB has been giving me other problems lately so no telling what.

I guess my suggestion if cancelling specifically due to lack of pre-regs would be:

1. Ask for the event sign-up to be removed or "put on hold" a day earlier than we currently do.

2. Check to see if any late pre-regs appear by the next day.

3. If so, reevaluate if the event still needs to be cancelled or if it should proceed as originally scheduled.

Of course, this doesn't apply to events which must be cancelled due to other factors - that's still going to occur on occasion.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

spitfire51

Part of this is due to my relentless optimism that we'd somehow be able to staff the shoot and that we'd have some shooters (plus the fact that I can barely remember what day of the week it is and thought I had a little more time).  I knew earlier in the week that we'd likely be cancelling, but I hate having to cancel shoots and wanted to wait as long as I thought was practical.  Right before I pm'd scuzzy and asked him to cancel it I checked eventbrite and it still showed no pre-regs so I thought we were in the clear.  My best guess is the gentleman in questions sneaked in between when I sent the pm and when scuzzy saw it.  We've been in contact with him and I'll be following up this evening (I swear brianheeter checks that email address the second he wakes up in the morning because he got to that way faster than I could've).

I think having a "pay at the door" type option would be a very good thing to consider in the future.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

dirtdawg

I would bet that if there were a free- pay at door option, we would see a a lot of no shows.

Earl

I was sure that putting my money on the table meant I was a serious buyer, but if you just want to know if I am interested - I like lots of stuff, and will do it as I can get to it. A free sign up for a shooting event, that I have to schedule around, buy ammunition for and gas and a place to sleep and eat... well, I could cut a commitment to that easily, so sign me up. What do I owe the Appleseed Project?

I am with dirtdawg
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: dirtdawg on October 03, 2014, 07:53:09 PM
I would bet that if there were a free- pay at door option, we would see a a lot of no shows.

I agree with you and Earl.  I see it all the time.  No skin in the game, they get a better "offer" at the last minute, or the weather looks bad, or the couch feels extra comfy, or __________, and they just don't show up.  And there we are with border raiders who traveled six hours to help out, and we end up not really needing them.  Not that I don't like walk-ons, but I think making an actual pay-at-the-door prereg option in EB would be counterproductive.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms