News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa, CA, 20-21 September 2014

Started by Rocket Man, September 23, 2014, 01:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Ah, that sound... that certain *SNAP* in the air... that tells you Autumn is just around the corner.

Actually that's the *SNAP* of an HV .22 round.   ;D  Summer around here has lasted almost two years and it's not ready to give up yet!  But we were nonetheless gifted with a beautiful weekend, pleasant and nowhere near as hot as it'd been just a few days before.  The sun was shining, the air was clear, and the many furry woodland creatures graced us with their presence high in the San Gabriel foothills at Burro Canyon.

We had six eager patriots and patriots-in-training this time, all with a different path.  Clever Pete had been with us once before in 2012, and he's been a student of firearms and other things mechanical since way back.  Michael is an accomplished pistolero, and an instructor in his own right, but sought more experience with a longer arm.  Then there's Robert, new to the shooting world, but no stranger to engineers and things that go WHOOSH in the night!  And finally, the Lin family, all three of them champing to start out on the right foot.   O0

Our two instructors, Jacob and myself, found this to be familiar ground, but rarely did any class go so smoothly.  Everybody got the hang of safety, NPOA, even IMC right off the bat??   ???  Pretty awesome.  The targets showed it too.  We had a couple of scope gremlins and some positions to work out, but even by end of Saturday we had the Redcoats on the run.  We were also visited by Spike, the Burro Canyon mascot muley deer, who refused to leave until being thoroughly convinced we weren't going to feed him!   :DH:

Sunday, despite some sores and stiffness, all six of our students stuck it out.  We were joined by serial instructor David, and got right to work.  Well, we had some fun with it too.  At one point our position was threatened by some invading pumpkins, which got liquefied faster than you can say "pumpkin shake."   $$-0  And we wrapped up with a Daniel Morgan memorial target, recalling the antics of his famous Rifleman company just outside the walls of Boston.  Five out of six Continental target-holders made it through without a scratch!   @)

But before we left, we had to honor our new Rifleman!  Pete found his way DEEP into the Rifleman's Bubble right of the bat and landed a 226 on Saturday.   :---  And Alexander, never short of energy or enthusiasm, earned his Luther Blanchard patch with grace and athleticism.  Great job, both of you.   ..:..

Next shoot is next month, Oct 18-19, so keep practicing!  Bring your friends and amaze them!  See you there!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

My pictures from the shoot.  Post up your own if you've got 'em.

Jacob leads the group in Safe Rifle, under the protective canopy of Fort Appleseed

Downrange for talking targets and IMC.  We had a class of math geniuses.  Not kidding.

Everybody lines up for their turn at the Ballpoint Pen Drill.  Cheap and effective.  Has to be seen to be believed!

The Lin Family takes aim at a scurrilous pumpkin, General Pumpkin Gage... it carved up real nice...

Alexander received the Luther Blanchard Award

And our new Rifleman, who got within a hiccough of cleaning his Redcoat as well.  Congratulations!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

pennys dad

Thank You to everyone that came out to learn and work with us, it was a great weekend.
Oh My Goodness, I Have NEVER had a class of math wizard before, one pass on IMC and a few tweaks and you all had it down, Impressive.!

I have a ton of pictures to add when I get home today. CYA then.

pennys dad

Daniel Morgans best

Down range reviewing the Daniel Morgan targets.

Hmmmmmm, so the cook wasn't the target ;-)

The Family that Shoots together.

Learning Fast

Ball and Dummy

Started out right end up left

NPOA practice