News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Custer, WA 20-21 SEP 2014 AAR

Started by Earl, September 19, 2014, 11:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

:cool2: Okay, this opens us up, from eight pre-registered to seven in a day. :slap:

Just thinking this morning about the sudden loss of folks interested in shooting better and hearing the heritage.  :-\ Could it be they are all locked and focused on those iPhones and looky likes? Texting and selfie taking their lives away?  :wb: Oh. I don't know, because I don't have one Hope to see you on the range this weekend, you can send me a selfie. ;D
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Earl

Had a wonderful weekend, volunteering to Shoot Boss this Appleseed, at Custer, Washington. Only had to drive two and a half hours around the Seattle Metro area to clean beautiful almost Canada country. Met up with PaulW and Ralph Hardin and started the set up, it is Ralph's home range. Seven pre registered turned to six before Thursday night, but two walk-ons from my last Port Townsend Appleseed  ready for their second Appleseed experience.

First day started just fine, Redcoat target and two Sighting Square targets before lunch. All safety, taught and chorused, six steps in making the shot, Steady Hold Factors for prone and sling, Hasty and looped, Todd even got some 1907 leather knowledge but would change to a one inch nylon web loop sling before the first AQT. Todd had the only Ruger 10/22.

Found some shade to have lunch and tell the first and second strike of the match. Afternoon, Ball and dummy, NPOA drills, transitions, sitting positions, standing position and all NPOA adjustments.

Two timed AQTs and one Redcoat and the Third Stike of the match and tellling them about the Seventh Stepping and the RWVA Mission.
Recommendations of lots of water, pain medicines and hot baths or showers and a good night's sleep. Cleaned up well.

Day Two: Refresh, repeat, sighting squares and three AQTs in the cool of the morning. Lunch in the shelter shade, Ralph tells two Dangerous Old Men stories, and Paulw brings out his flintlock fowling musket and short rifle. History and heritage handson! Huzzah!

Two more AQTs, one peppermint popping challenge, a last AQT and the final Redcoat. Total round count for the event 526. One Rifleman, Milton, 212, 220, 221 - he also cleaned the final Redcoat. I suggest he get Shoot Boss embroidered on his John Deere cap, the program can use men who know very much what they are about.

All shooters improved and with some equipment adjustments, lots of study and dry practice of positions and the six steps on one of their AQTs, they will do even better in the future. I suggested the forum and the Appleseed event in Coupeville next month.

... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Josey Wales

..Great Job Earl.. Glad that you are still with us..
..Strength & Honor....JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..