News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Atterbury, IN Appleseed Known Distance October 18-19, 2014

Started by Hop, September 03, 2014, 01:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianheeter

I have been trying to get hold of the POC at Camp Atterbury for the past 2 weeks to get some questions answered.  I just tried again and still no luck.

We typically are allowed to take possession of the range at 1800L (that's 6 pm local time) on Friday evening so we can prep and set up the camp.  We aren't going to be camping on the range this time so I'm running on the assumption that the 1800L isn't going to be that big of a deal.  However, be prepared for that not to be the case.  So, you can show up before 1800L to set up camp but don't be surprised if you can't do what you want until after 6 pm.

I don't know if there will be campfires allowed or barrels for fires provided at the bivouac (aka camping site) so we will have to play that by ear.  I will be bringing my grill and I am planning on camping Friday and Saturday night.  The grill will be available for anyone to use whether I end up camping or not.

The bivouac area is located two "blocks" west of Range Control in the northeast corner of the intersection of County Line Road (County Road 900 S) and Schoolhouse Road.

More detailed directions:  Pass the security checkpoint (smile to the guards and DO NOT exit your vehicle), work your way through the serpentine and under the REALLY BIG canopy and continue south for about a mile being sure to watch your speed and keeping an eye out for pedestrians.  At the intersection of Eggleston and County Line Road you will see the fire department ahead on your right and directly to your left is Range Control.  Turn right and continue to the intersection with Schoolhouse Road.  Bivouac is on your right.

I will be attending the Deconfliction Meeting at 1400 (2 pm) Friday to find out if we get kicked off at the last minute.  Assume all is well unless you see something posted here (or on INGO) or get a phone call or email.

That is all I can think of for the moment.

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

SPQR

Good work.

My hope is that we can take possession at 1800 and set up as usual. I suspect that not to be the case as well. That's why breakout teams were assigned on the duty sheet for Pregame.

I'm working on the southwest side of Evansville and it'll probably be late before I can get there Friday. I'll buzz you tonight so we can go over some details.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

grunt soldier

very sorry guys I'm going to have to sit this one out even on Sunday.  Wife had a death in the family and we have to head out for that. 
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Piston556

I want to thank everyone for their help this weekend at Atterbury. Another great experience and well the seasoned instructors, RSO's and volunteers made for a safe, friendly shooting experience.

Next year I think I will try iron sights again. For some unknown reason, I lost my DOPE at the 300 yrd line on Sunday and couldn't recover. Seems more like operator error and I may have to accept it. I tried the EOTech this time but when we had the drill to find Battle Sight Zero I found that it took 147 clicks to bottom out for eleavation. Thats contrary to EOTech specs and hard to do in the short time of "shooters prep time" given between shoots as shooters cannot approach their modern sporting rifles unless given the command to do so.

All in all a great weekend with like minded individuals who love shooting.

jmdavis

You generally don't want to bottom out the scope. That is why you mark the zero and then go from there. The reason for this is that many affordable scopes don't have consistent click distances at their limits.

For example, the scope on my .22 silhouette rifle (Bushnell 6.5-20x44) zeroed for chickens at 40m goes up 15 clicks for pigs at 60m, 20 more for turkeys at 77m and 32 more  for rams at 100m. To get to my 200 yard zero with Remington White Box I then add 96 more clicks (24 moa). That puts me more than 2 full revolutions around. I mark that zero as well for rapid use.

You can always shoot a box with your eotech (pm me if you need instructions to determine your average click change) and remember that you can use BSZ (your 25m zero) to engage targets out to 300 yards. You then add 4 moa (8 eotech clicks) to engage 400.

Once you have your eotech zero, you can cowittness your backup irons and be set for any eventuality.

Good luck.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner