News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Camp Atterbury, IN Appleseed Known Distance October 18-19, 2014

Started by Hop, September 03, 2014, 01:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Regardless of scope, make sure that you somehow mark the zero when you have it, the other thing that you can do if you have issues with turning the knobs the wrong way, is make a label on the stock of your rifle that has your comeups and simple scope directions. For example with a 100 yard zero and a 5.56 and a scope with 1/4 moa adjustments, you are looking at 6-8 clicks from 100-200 and a other 10 from 200 to 300. From 300-400, you want 12 clicks. These numbers are based on 62 gr. ammo.

With an A2 iron sight 5.56 zeroed at 25 m, I often won't adjust elevation on a KD aqt until I go to 400. I will come up 3 moa from 300 to 400. Since I know that 25m is VERY close to my 300 yard zero, at 100 I will be 4 inches high and and 200 I will be 5.5 inches high. So I hold into the bottom of the black at 100 and just a bit lower for 200, then shoot dead on at 300, and finally come up 3 moa at 400.

Also with irons, you should know and mark your no wind zero. You will want to come back to this if the wind drops or ceases. You should also count off your no wind zero from either full left or full right windage. Knowing these and writing them on the card attached to your stock, your databook or the inside of your eyelids will help keep you on track.

Finally, if you fall behind, don't worry. Just try to learn as much as you can. But if you can get a good 25m or 100y zero, mark your zero on your scope, and write your comeups down in clicks, you take all of the math out of it.

For the ironsight shooters, here is an article on Marking AR sights. There are other articles out there on marking M1 and M1 sights.

http://www.ocabj.net/marking-your-sights/

Here are some photos of differnt ideas for Range cards on your stock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rifle+range+card&rlz=1C1AVSC_enUS450US462&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ky81VOnFAYqGyASWmYCQAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1154&bih=670#tbm=isch&q=range+dope+on+rifle+stock
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

AAOptics

Quote from: SPQR on October 07, 2014, 10:05:59 PM
You don't need 10k. You need about three fifty and a phone call to AA Optics.

It's called a Ballistic Compensated Reticule. It will have the trajectory graduations on the scope, you shoot the correct ammo, and the reticule does it for you.

The flip side is to use Battle Sight Zero on the appropriate sight system.

What you need is not education or money. You need experience. You are coming to the right place.

Wise man here O0

I am Alan from AA Optics.  My number is 765-580-0986 or feel free to contact me right here.

Brown

Quote from: SPQR on October 07, 2014, 10:05:59 PM
You don't need 10k. You need about three fifty and a phone call to AA Optics.

It's called a Ballistic Compensated Reticule. It will have the trajectory graduations on the scope, you shoot the correct ammo, and the reticule does it for you.

The flip side is to use Battle Sight Zero on the appropriate sight system.

What you need is not education or money. You need experience. You are coming to the right place.

2nd this. Shooting with the BCR almost makes it cheating. Almost. and no it has nothing to do with SPQR's carbine >:D
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Hop

I have a 14.5" Colt with a ACOG BDC marked at 100 Meter increments.  Using XM855 ammo, it only needed a small tweak at 200 yards to make "in the black" hits all the way out to 500 yards.  Rayne should have borrowed that gun.  ;)

I'm bringing both a scoped M1A and a EOTech equiped 10.3" SBR this time.  It's going to be interesting. 

slim

Wild Deuce

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

slim

The "new" ones from SA are using cast parts and the tiny bits sometimes break whenever there's a brittle batch. I saw it a couple times in recent years. The old ones are supposed to be good and word on the street is they've fixed their supplier issues and it doesn't happen anymore on the new ones. If you bought one around 2012 or so you might want to check it out thoroughly before trusting your life to it.

slim

Big John

My SA M1A from 09 has treated me ok, but I take it as a backup KD rifle and a steel ding-er.

Allowed me to save face with Huff a few weeks back though.

Always bring a backup rifle.

slim

Quote from: Big John on October 08, 2014, 07:51:33 PMAlways bring a backup rifle.
I keep an AK pistol in the trunk.

...except when I'm on Atterbury.  !@#)

Wild Deuce

Ok. Didn't know that.

I have a LRB Arms M14SA built by Smith Enterprise. Hopefully, I don't have to worry. My SA SOCOM II on the other hand ...

SPQR

A lot of griping about AR10s but I've seen Rimshots put up 1 moa groups consistently with surplus South African throughout two Appkeseeds.

For all the talk of M1As, the mag doesn't drop free and according to a bunch of dudes that commented when the LTR was released, that is somehow important.  ::)

Dude with the piston gun-Just show up ready to have fun. We will only move as fast as the slowest shooter, and if you follow our method, that will be fairly quick. Everyone shoots, no one quits.  And, if you are really lucky, I may get down off of my throne of Shoot Bossery and ridicule you a little bit, which is the closest I ever come to complimenting anyone, so you will feel appropriately warm and fuzzy. I'm certain of it.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

slim

Quote from: SPQR on October 08, 2014, 08:56:59 PM
A lot of griping about AR10s but I've seen Rimshots put up 1 moa groups consistently with surplus South African throughout two Appkeseeds. 
Oh they're shooters.

...till they break.

Mudcat

Yep both of mine shot well but neither would run through 500 rounds without crapping on themselves. I have had 3 yes 3 fail at Appleseeds and never had one complete an entire weekend. The closest was the last KD in Evansville where Bens broke an extractor on the final 300 yard stage. So close just 18 rounds away from completion. To be fair though we had a Garand break a firing pin on the 400 yard stage right after. Very possibly keeping both from Riflemen scores.

Sometimes Murphy just pisses in your flashpan, sometimes we do it ourselves.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

AAOptics

Anyone seen a SCAR on the line?  If so how did it fair?

SPQR

Yeah, sure.  Shooters don't seem to enjoy the ergo aspect prone.
They all seem very proud of them.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Big John

They are expeeeeeeensive, even for me.

I like my FNAR though.

Hop

My M1A extractor didn't even make it to 80 rounds total & broke at an Atterbury KD @ the 25 yard zero'ing line.

Alan, there was a 308 SCAR shooter next to me at the February Atterbury KD.  I could feel the rapport of every shot thud through my torso.  lol

Nero

Quote from: slim on October 08, 2014, 07:41:19 PM
The "new" ones from SA are using cast parts and the tiny bits sometimes break whenever there's a brittle batch. I saw it a couple times in recent years. The old ones are supposed to be good and word on the street is they've fixed their supplier issues and it doesn't happen anymore on the new ones. If you bought one around 2012 or so you might want to check it out thoroughly before trusting your life to it.

Not just the new ones.  A while back I had the (cast) extractor from my 1976 build Springfield match M1A part my hair as it left, when I was doing a bench test on some (non-aggressive) hand loads.  A few degrees lower angle of departure and I'd have had a few stitches to remember it by.  Now there's a USGI forged extractor in there.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

slim

Quote from: Hop on October 09, 2014, 04:16:44 PMAlan, there was a 308 SCAR shooter next to me at the February Atterbury KD. 
That was Maynard, wasn't it? Maynard, where you at?

Quote from: Nero on October 09, 2014, 04:24:29 PMNow there's a USGI forged extractor in there.
I had all types of problems with my Colt Match Target rifle when I first got it. Swapped out the bolt with a USGI bolt and voila! No more issues. Lowest bidder may not be a good thing for some parts, but for small arms, Uncle Sam seems to have his stuff together.

AAOptics

Quote from: Hop on October 09, 2014, 04:16:44 PM

Alan, there was a 308 SCAR shooter next to me at the February Atterbury KD.  I could feel the rapport of every shot thud through my torso.  lol

That's why God invented suppressor's ;D

I shot the 17 about a month after they were released to the public and I have not been able to get how much I liked it out of my mind.   Thankfully every time I get ready to pull the trigger on one I get a long enough moment of clarity to realize "3k for a rifle you don't need is ignorant"

SPQR

Yeah. If the trick was that you wanted an auto loading .308 you could have LRB put a krieger on an M25 action for less.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

AAOptics

Quote from: SPQR on October 09, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
Yeah. If the trick was that you wanted an auto loading .308 you could have LRB put a krieger on an M25 action for less.

I have a AR-10 (just got a couple weeks ago) that I got on trade.  Id like to have a semi auto 308 that was light weight, compact enough for tractors/trucks/durable/accurate (accuracy came last for a reason).  I don't need sub MOA, something hat is between 1, and 2 moa would be fine.  IMHO the SCAR 17 with a  RZR 1-6 would be the perfect weapon for such a task, if I needed a weapon to do that task bad enough to warrant that kind of price tag.  I would basically like to have 1 do all weapon vs a bunch of specialized weapons.

At one point and time I got out of 260 due to the convenience of not having to reload.  My 260 was my do all rifle and I was pretty good with it because (outside of my 22) it was shot 99% of the time I shot anything.  Lately I've noticed instead of being pretty good with 1 rifle, I'm OK with 4 more specialized rifles, and its something Id like to remedy at some point.

Piston556

Sorry Guys, I just found the second page of the thread.

jmdavis: I'll be using an EOTech with 3x magnification. I got real close last year to earning a patch with iron sights but time moves forward and the 'ol eyes aren't wahat they used to be. Far is not the problem, close & intermediate is, so I'm trying something different. Thanks for the Tips! The EOTech is a 1/2" MOA adjustment. Remembering to make the adjustments is what I need to work on. Maybe a size 11 kick might just do the trick...

Alan, seen your message and thanks. We'll be talking during or after Atterbury!

Getting close to go time!

AAOptics

Quote from: Piston556 on October 13, 2014, 09:46:08 PM

jmdavis: I'll be using an EOTech with 3x magnification. I got real close last year to earning a patch with iron sights but time moves forward and the 'ol eyes aren't wahat they used to be. Far is not the problem, close & intermediate is, so I'm trying something different. Thanks for the Tips! The EOTech is a 1/2" MOA adjustment. Remembering to make the adjustments is what I need to work on. Maybe a size 11 kick might just do the trick...

I have to work a show this weekend, so I wont be at the shoot, but Ill catch up with you when your ready sir.

Rayne

QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Piston556

QuoteMine are only a size 8-8 1/2 but I'd be happy to accommodate you with the needed kick  >:D 

Thank you Sir, may I have another?

jmdavis

Quote from: Piston556 on October 13, 2014, 09:46:08 PM

You can absolutely, positively shoot a rifleman kd score with the eotech an 3x magnifier. If. I was going to adjust my sight at the different Yardlines, I would mark my elevation and windage zeros with a metallic sharpie, it comes off with fingernail polish remover and even enough sweat.

You can however zero it at 25 and use it as you would an a2 battle sight zero with irons. Good luck.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner