News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Williamsburg homeschool days 2015

Started by Moylan, August 26, 2014, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moylan

Greetings neighbors,

A homeschooling family doing American History might very well travel across the country to come to homeschool days at Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown, and they'll budget themselves several days to a week or more to be in Virginia for their visit.  http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/groups/homeschoolers/

So there they are, in Virginia studying colonial history together.  What a fabulous time to offer a special one-day homeschool shoot at a nearby range.  With proper planning, an event in conjunction with Williamsburg homeschool days could be a big hit.  If we're trying to attract travelers rather than locals as our shooters, of course, we'd need tons of loaners and ammo, so it presents a particular logistical challenge.  But that seems like a challenge to overcome rather than a reason not to proceed. 

The Williamsburg website does not yet have their dates up for the spring or fall 2015 homeschool days.  So we don't have a specific time to shoot for yet.  But it looks like fall events tend to be mid-September, and spring events are in February. 

What if we aim to hold a one-day shoot near Williamsburg next September?  Here's what we need to know: can we nail down a range (Lafayette Gun Club seems closest)?  Can we find sufficient instructors?  Can we get a sufficient number of loaners?  Since I'm down in NC I don't have connections to any ranges up there, and probably shouldn't try to take the lead on that side of things, but I'm happy to work on putting together ammo, as well as getting on the marketing once we get something specific put together.

With more than a year's lead time, I would like to think that we can make this work.  It would be pretty awesome for Appleseed to become part of a destination week for homeschool travelers.  They can do our earliest history at Jamestown and Williamsburg, get a dose of 1775 at Appleseed, and then head to Yorktown to hear about how the big surrender.  Please let me know if you're interested in working on this.
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

jmdavis

A week to visit the Rev war and PreRev sites is just enough. If you want to add the Civil war sites a week is not enough. You can easily spend 2 days at Williamsburg, and 1 at Jamestown and 1 at Yorktown. If you want a day at VA Beach or one of the 3 amusement parks in the area you are at 5 days.

Alternately it would be very easy to spend 2 days at Williamsburg, 1 on Yorktown and Jamestown, 1/2 at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, 1/2 a day  at Cold Harbor, 1/2 a day at Petersburg battlefield and a 1/2 day at Pamplin Park and the Museum of the Civil War Soldier just South of Petersburg. Then there are the plantations that date back to the Pre-Revolution at Shirley and Berkley, as well as a number of distributed Earthworks from the Penninsula campaign of 1862. 

The problem with this is finding the range in that area. Virginians have tried to work with ranges down there for the last 7 years. The closest that we came was C2 in Pungo (VA Beach on the border with North Carolina). Of the other ranges, one focuses on 4h as it's training arm and the other is pretty difficult for position shooting (it is set up for bench shooting and they require platforms on the benches to allow high power there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsula_Campaign

http://www.nps.gov/pete/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/pete/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/rich/historyculture/cold-harbor.htm

http://www.pamplinpark.org/

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Nero

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

FiremanBob

So much of that educational tourism consists of walking, watching and listening. It would be great to give them some hands-on activity. I'm about to move to three hours away from Wmsburg, but will help out in any way possible.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

jmdavis

Sure a liberty seed could work, but it would probably be better at the homeschoolers conventions.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

bas

I'm new to the forum. My family and I would be willing to help any way we can. We live in Ohio about 3hr or so from Williamsburg.
Bas
"If ever a time should come,
when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
--Samuel Adams, 1776--

FiremanBob

Bas, i may be missing something, but it seems to me that from Ohio to Williamsburg, Virginia is three hours only by jet.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville