News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What's Happened in Alaska with Project Appleseed in 2014 ( 14 shoots later)

Started by fisherdawg, August 12, 2014, 04:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

Alaska Appleseeders:
I think you may be allowed one moment, very brief moment, to enjoy a 'pat on the back' before you get back work.  ;D
We have held 9  10 shoots 11 12 13  14 shoots and worked 2 Range open house days.
We have had 144  151 170 179 196 217 shooters on the line.
57% growth over 2013!  ^:)^
To our Shooters:  Please come back again.  Bring one friend each & we'll double!  :cool2: ..:.. ^:)^
We have 5 3 only 2 1 more shoot on the calendar for the remainder of 2014.  ;D Let's 7th step Nov 1 and FILL THE LINE[/b]
We had 21 shooters turn out in 19 degree weather on November 1st -- that was some awesome 7th stepping. ;D
(Looking to add a KD & IBC before the year is out too)  -- IBC is set for 13 & 14 December, we just need to find a location
10  12 17!  19!! 21 24 New Alaska Riflemen (Some are women! props to eburnham & Mikaela & Kako & Fireweed & Jessica)  ..:..
Plus 2  3  6Official Requalifications (hint: annual requal is the Standard >:D )
3   4 5 6 7[/b]  10New Orange Hats  O0
2   3 New Red Hats  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
And a SBIT by Taka
(I have more hats in the box... go for it)  :cool2:
5  9 New Blue Hats (Hogfamily thats 5 -- Michelle, Joseph, Travis, Shane, Daniel) (LittleJohn220) (Scut Monkey)  Graham, and Scott ;D
15 18 Active Instructors: ItsanSKS, fisherdawg, eagleriver, Pete!, Taka222, AlaskaRed, Knox, smokepole, Hogfamily, 509gman, RedBoston, Medicus, nivagdm, jasoncshooter, Adam (noforumname), Dave220, LittleJohn220, ericbovee, Fireweed; Ben P., Clay W. Jordan S. (all with at least one shoot)  ^:)^
10 more IIT's out there 7th stepping: USASOF, Josh  Holloway, Scheer9362, AKMan (he's awfully quiet, but we couldn't have run the Tok shoot half as well without Dad Mickey's excellent RSO help), vaquero, Gray Bird, Mountaingoat1980, Ravensclaw, Tracey, eburnham;  O0
Informal Blue Hats: Mrs. fisherdawg & Danny;  :) I couldn't do what I do without them. And David for mowing the yard too. Thanks, Buddy.  O0
Friends of Appleseed Alaska: Steve V. & Marie T. -- we'll be working more on that this fall.  @)
LibertySeed support & promotion: Col. John Mitchell Chapter DAR --Jane Micol, Paula Wright, Gail Cedarburg; Anchorage Genealogy Society - Nancy Ferko (she put my name up in lights  ^-^ )  Barry W. at Rotary too. And Chief Mcnew & Col. Ennis at ERHS JROTC.  O0  I believe we have had 247 atendees year to date at LibertySeeds.
Add Hogfamily to the list of Honor on LibertySeeds too. Oh, Pete! & Mutti -- thank you for those awesome History Handouts.
Shadowman George Hacker, armaborealis, dreamerofdreams, Nero, ThaiFighter -- thank you for 'professional' Shoot Boss help.
For MilSeed help:  American amazon & Hawkhavn
ItsanSKS -- but for you, man -- none of this.  :cool2:
Gratitude & HUZZAH's to Dale Andrews -- Dale shot 237 on his first AQT on 11/1/2014  :bow:and the crew at Birchwood, Doug Moore and crew at Upper Susitna Shooters Assn, Joe & Brenda Treferen at Majority Arms LLC.  We cannot be successful without our excellent Range hosts.  Please support and recommend these excellent organizations.  O0
More Gratitude & HUZZAH's to the folks in Tok.  You have to be very special to live the most extreme climate in North America! Saber, Rhonda, (Kaiya too) Pat, Theresa, John, Mickey, Dolly and everyone there. It was fabulous! We are coming back!  ;D ;D ;D Please tell Alaska Sweetgrass the Ookpik Waltz is still playing in my ears!  :cool2:
New friends -- Josh T. & Larry H. -- I appreciate your help to Mike as he works to find a Range for us there in Fairbanks for 2015.  O0
Mike S. -- Thanks for fire hose.  It's working fantastic.
Prospects for 2015:  18 or more full Appleseed Events + KD's across Alaska -- Chugiak, Soldotna, Talkeetna, Tok, Fairbanks, Kodiak & more.  ;D
This definitely means more than one active crew.  Which will require more Shoot Bosses.  There are those among you who know very well what you are about and I expect you to step into this role and put on the Green Hat too.
Josh Holloway & Rafn -- you started it.  :bow:
"that it is an indispensible duty..."   ~~:)
bob 210, V, Mr. Pete, asminuteman, SavageShootr, Camljr, LayloPro, ItsanSKS, Nero, American Amazon, Hawkhavn, Fred -- I hope this is at least a step toward what you had envisioned when you came to Alaska.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

509gman

Sorry, all I heard was another kd this year? Summn' wants to ring steel!
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

fisherdawg

Quote from: 509gman on August 12, 2014, 05:28:22 PM
Sorry, all I heard was another kd this year? Summn' wants to ring steel!

Not just an Instructor KD, rather a full KD 2 day with Paper & Steel.  Ideal would be 2 days at JEBR Sports Fire or Talkeetna.  Open to previous attendees with Center Fire Rifles & Instructors.  We'll need 3 RSO's for Sports Fire - possibles are me, Red, Alsdorf, Chris T., Eric as we need RSO running the line & RSO on 'Aircraft Watch'.
October time frame, probably.
I wonder if Range Control is open on Sundays?
Talkeetna could work too, I suppose. doesn't have Aircraft Watch
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

ThaiFighter

Huzzah!!!   O0

Let me know when Kd is happening.  I have a month of PTO booked at work due to not being able to take time off and I have to burn it before EOY.

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

Mutti

Amazing to see such teamwork out / up there. Been so pleased to see Pete!'s reports of his experiences.

Well done and thanks for representing AS so well :-)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

hawkhavn

To the entire AK crew,

Great job, you are an inspiration to the entire program. Low population density, distant travel, adapt and overcome.

Well done,
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

hogfamily

I would like to add a

HUZZAH!

for all that fisherdawg does for Alaska Appleseed.

He has guided me through the instructor path. (Sometimes with a little kicking and screaming on my part.)

Everyone that I have had the pleasure of working with in Alaska Appleseed have been AWESOME!

You are all the kind of folks that I want my boys to hang out with!
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Pete!

Appleseed in Alaska is like riding a dog sled; it's fast  :~, fun  ^:)^, noisy  :---, and a lot of work  ~~:).   

;D
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

fisherdawg

Quote from: hogfamily on August 13, 2014, 01:10:32 PM
I would like to add a

HUZZAH!

for all that fisherdawg does for Alaska Appleseed.

He has guided me through the instructor path. (Sometimes with a little kicking and screaming on my part.)

Everyone that I have had the pleasure of working with in Alaska Appleseed have been AWESOME!

You are all the kind of folks that I want my boys to hang out with!

hf, thank you for the kind words, but this is truly a team effort and I hope I'm communicating that in this post. The Alaska Instructor Cadre has truly come through and risen to the challenge of the Appleseed Mission.  There will be obstacles etc., but with this team and those that we'll find to join us we can save the nation.  And, these are the folks I like having around my family too.  O0  ;D ;D
fd

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Medicus

Quote from: fisherdawg on August 12, 2014, 04:37:17 PM

This definitely means more than one active crew.  Which will require more Shoot Bosses.  There are those among you who know very well what you are about and I expect you to step into this role and put on the Green Hat too.

I canna go any faster, Cap'n!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

"Just relax in the sling; we're going to make fun of you." -Pete!

fisherdawg

Quote from: Medicus on August 14, 2014, 12:16:06 AM
Quote from: fisherdawg on August 12, 2014, 04:37:17 PM

I canna go any faster, Cap'n!

My man Scottie!

SavageShootr

It is great to see that Alaska is growing. Going to Alaska for Appleseed was one, or two, of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The Alaska contingent is in good hands. It is wonderful to see the growth that has occurred.
Thank You, Wally, for posting this and keeping it updated. You ROCK!!! Your enthusiasm was apparent even back when we met.
Keep up the great work in Alaska.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Fred

Quote from: SavageShootr on August 30, 2014, 10:56:57 AM
Thank You, Wally, for posting this and keeping it updated. You ROCK!!! Your enthusiasm was apparent even back when we met.
Keep up the great work in Alaska.

O0  O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...